+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Oh do please continue to tell us about this sweet canine! I think this is absolutely wonderful. You are owned by a good one!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4052297;
    Oh do please continue to tell us about this sweet canine! I think this is absolutely wonderful. You are owned by a good one!
    Was this comment in reference to my dog or Cheyenne? If you're serious, and it was in reference to my dog, you might want to consider what you could be unleashing (pun intended). I've had him for ten years, and he is not short on personality, and I'm definitely not short on words.

But we want to see those pictures...
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4053336;
    But we want to see those pictures...
    Slight problem with that. The student who took the photographs and I are thinking about trying to do a project with the photographs--like a children's book or calendar--for the college, and thus sending them floating around the internet is probably not the best idea. Besides, I'm not sure I'd feel right doing that without her permission (and some of them even I haven't seen yet, because they were just taken on Sunday).

They truly do exist though. And they are very cute. Not that I had much of anything to do with that, since all I did was wrangle the dog, pull the props together, and suggest a couple of possible locations for photos. I certainly wasn't operating the camera. Half the time I can't even figure out why exactly she thinks something would be a good shot. But then, she's an art and chemistry double major, so her brain clearly works in a very different way than mine does.

And I have to get up to take him for more photographs at eight a.m. tomorrow. I feel like I'm playing Mama Rose to a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4053237;
    Was this comment in reference to my dog or Cheyenne? If you're serious, and it was in reference to my dog, you might want to consider what you could be unleashing (pun intended). I've had him for ten years, and he is not short on personality, and I'm definitely not short on words.
    We like to read about all of our critters, but this was in reference to yours.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey

Well, due to what I thought was going to be a minor remodel in the main floor bathroom, my dog has been going everywhere with me lately, just to keep him out of the messy repairs. Yesterday he attended the opening faculty/staff convocation, where we sat in the back of the chapel, and he slept through ninety percent of what was going on, including the sermon and the president's address. He actually barked in his sleep once during the president's remarks which caused the professor sitting next to me to get the church giggles. Oddly, I don't think anyone really even noticed he was there. Granted, he has been to chapel before, but it's not typical for a dog to attend that meeting. There was just nowhere else to put him. Repairmen were in my house, I don't leave him outside when I'm not home, and they were working with the computer in my office, so that was out too, unless I wanted to crate him, and he'd had to be crated in my office for a four hour meeting the day before. I hated to do that to him again. I wouldn't have done it to him then, but the meeting was a breakfast deal, so food was involved, which means there are all kinds of health codes involved as well. I did swipe a piece of bacon off the buffet for him, so he forgave me. He also had a photo shoot all over the library that morning, where again, no one seemed to care or even notice that he was sitting at a table posing with some art journals (I figured if he had posed with a blank canvas and a paint brush, he might look at the journals for inspiration). Or lounging about in a chair with a copy of Temple Grandin's Animals Make Us Human. Or browsing through the stacks and, in one case, walking through a space on the bottom shelf of the stacks. Actually, he did that twice, because the student taking the photographs asked if I could get him to do it again, which was no problem (sit-stay-come is all it involved), so she could shoot a sequence of photographs of him walking through the stacks. He's really getting very wise to all of this photography stuff. She asked if he could lie down in the chair and put his foot on Grandin's book, and he immediately did it before I could even ask him to do so. I think he just heard her say lie down and thought it sounded like it was a good idea; his foot probably hit the book by accident. I'm starting to think I should take him all over campus just to see if there's any place where people would think it was odd to see a dog. I realize the campus counseling office has had dogs for years and that some of the hall directors have had dogs and that an instructor in the music department brings her certified therapy dogs into work now and again and that one of the guys in Central Services has brought his dog to work so much that CS made her an I.D. but still....

FORT Fogey

Dang it...that should not be all one paragraph. How come sometimes the posts come out fine and other times the paragraphs all run together?

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Tilden, your dog has so much personality, I can't believe it. Continue with the stories... I've got a big smile on my face.

FORT Fogey

Geez, I don't know. What do you want to know?

He's ten, and I got him at the local humane society when he was six months old. I was his third home, as he was brought in as part of an unwanted litter, and then the people who originally took him home brought him back two months later, because he was "vocal and destructive." In other words, he barked and chewed. He still does, though the chewing is confined mostly to the shredding of an occasional Kleenex, which is why all my waste baskets have covers, and the barking isn't any worse than any other dog I've ever had. As a puppy, he also used to grab the end of the toilet paper roll and run. I learned very quickly that it's a lot easier to race to the toilet paper dispenser and rip off the end of the toilet paper from there then to try to catch a speeding puppy. If I went after him instead, half the house would be t.p.ed on the inside before I could grab the end of the toilet paper he had.

Shortly after I brought him home, he got up in a living room chair, eying a candy dish on the adjacent entertainment center (he's very food motivated). I didn't worry about it, because I knew he couldn't reach the dish from where he was. He must have figured that out too, because he stopped trying for a minute or two and then pushed the two pillows in the chair into a stack and climbed up on top of them to see if that helped any. It didn't, and it was sort of cute, but it was a shade worrisome too, because dogs that are prone to figuring things out for themselves are also prone to figuring out things you'd rather they didn't, like how to get out of a doggie seatbelt without unhooking it or chewing their way out. And yes, he did that routinely too, until I started crating him in the car. He can't be loose in the car, because he enjoys clambering all over the car, and it's very distracting. As a puppy, he climbed up on my shoulder while I was driving and sat there like a parrot, and there was not much I could do about it until I could stop the car and shoo him off.

In terms of the figuring things out angle, the last time we dogsat the neighbor's dog, who is half springer and half pointer and a lot younger and bouncier than my ten year old boy, he played with her for a while and then decided he was done and wanted to get up on the couch. I have those little doggie stairs everywhere, because I paid for a previous dog's ALS surgery, and I thought it was a lot better (and cheaper) to invest in stairs. The neighbor's dog decided she would block the stairs to keep him on the floor, playing with her. I was about to get her out of the way for him, when he suddenly turned and ran to the front door, barking excitedly. She immediately jumped up on the hassock in the window to see who or what was at the front door, and he swiftly turned climbed up the steps, stretched out on the couch, and gave me a look that very clearly said, "Not very bright, is she?" For the rest of the weekend, every time she got in his way, he did the same way, and she always, always fell for it. Oh, there are steps leading to the hassock too, and while my dog uses them, the springer/pointer doesn't. In fact, sometimes, he'd be on the hassock looking out the window, and she'd just come up behind him and leave her back feet on the floor and put her front feet on the windowsill. Once when she did that, she inadvertently blocked his way back down the steps. So he he just walked under her belly and down the steps. The startled look on her face when he did that was pretty funny.

Loving the stories! So, we're heading out for a week and my friend and daughter are taking my 2 dogs. I dropped them off, and it is a very weird feeling to come home to an empty house. No happy faces and wagging tails at the door, no water to change, no dog curled at my feet. It is a weird feeling every time we do it. I know it is going to be weird not to have the big Mastiff snores tonight. God love my friends though, because not everyone would want to look after such a large dog. The little old lady 16 yr. Shih Tzu is with my daughter. My husband and I were driving home and discussing the dogless-ness, and extolling how we could travel etc., if we weren't pet owners. Silence for a moment. Me: it wouldn't feel like a home to me without a dog. Husband: Yeah, I know. I guess that's it then

+ Reply to Thread