+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1387Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom;4051235;
    So, for all you dog lovers out there, perhaps you can help me determine what breed you think our rescue is. We adopted her in late Jan. She was a pitiful 39 pounds but now she is up to 57 lbs. We were told she was part Sheltie but the woman who was fostering her had Shelties of her own and they are tiny. We are thinking part Collie but she is not as hairy as a Collie.

Meet Cheyenne.
    Maybe some Shepherd too. Whatever she is, she is beautiful and lucky to find a loving home.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom;4051235;
    So, for all you dog lovers out there, perhaps you can help me determine what breed you think our rescue is. We adopted her in late Jan. She was a pitiful 39 pounds but now she is up to 57 lbs. We were told she was part Sheltie but the woman who was fostering her had Shelties of her own and they are tiny. We are thinking part Collie but she is not as hairy as a Collie.

Meet Cheyenne.

Cheyenne's head definitely looks collie. What kind of body type is she? Is she built like a collie or does it look like there might be something else involved too? This may seem odd, but what does she sound like? I have a mix I was told was bichon and beagle (though I strongly suspect there's some terrier in him too, and so does everyone else who's ever had a terrier). I can't say I see much beagle in him, but sometimes when he gets really excited about a rabbit or a squirrel, I can hear a little beagle beneath his regular bark.

Incidentally, I've been told he has beagle eyes, bichon eyes, Westie eyes, and Cairn eyes. I've also been told he looks like everything from a toy poodle (and he weighs 26 lbs.!) to a corgi. People see what they want to see, so long as the dog is friendly and good-natured. Then they want to claim him/her as one of "their" breed.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4051956;
    Cheyenne's head definitely looks collie. What kind of body type is she? Is she built like a collie or does it look like there might be something else involved too? This may seem odd, but what does she sound like? I have a mix I was told was bichon and beagle (though I strongly suspect there's some terrier in him too, and so does everyone else who's ever had a terrier). I can't say I see much beagle in him, but sometimes when he gets really excited about a rabbit or a squirrel, I can hear a little beagle beneath his regular bark.

Incidentally, I've been told he has beagle eyes, bichon eyes, Westie eyes, and Cairn eyes. I've also been told he looks like everything from a toy poodle (and he weighs 26 lbs.!) to a corgi. People see what they want to see, so long as the dog is friendly and good-natured. Then they want to claim him/her as one of "their" breed.

Thanks all for weighing in.

Tilden, Cheyenne has an extremely long body. I looked at the photos of the "smooth collies" which someone else suggested and she has way more hair than they do. There's a gentleman in my neighborhood who has a pure breed rough collie. My dh would always meet him on his dog walks and one day he invited him into the yard. I was introduced to his dog, who was a male, and therefore about 75 lbs, and it was right then and there that I thought, no way, no how is Cheyenne pure collie. For one thing, his collie's snout was much more pointed and he was was hairier.

It is possible that she could be part Shetland sheepdog (Sheltie) after all, b/c she could be part much larger dog. She was given to a Sheltie rescue group and they were told by the woman surrendering her that she was Sheltie.

My late dog was part Sheltie and part Chow-Chow. She was purchased in a pet store. Since then I have found out how horrible pet stores are and would never purchase from a pet store again. Her mom was a pure breed Sheltie who became pregnant with a non pure-breed. She had a purple tongue and that mane of fur around her head that Chow Chows have. Unlike the Chow Chow, though, she had a sweet temperament.

I guess her bark is normal for a dog her size; it's not yappy like a small dog and it certainly isn't a beagle or hound's baying. She does like to bark a lot though, which is a big negative. The pluses are that she absolutely loves every man, woman, and child she meets, as well as all the dogs she has met. My neighbor has a cat who comes into my yard and Cheyenne absolutely is intrigued by her. The cat is non-plussed by her as there are other dogs in her family. Cheyenne tries to engage her in play but the cat just sits there immobile. Finally Chey gets frustrated and starts barking at her as if to say "Come on, what's wrong with you? Let's play." It's absolutely adorable.

I guess it doesn't matter what breed(s) she is, I just am curious.

Forgive my ramblings, but I could talk about Cheyenne all day long.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom;4052011;
    Thanks all for weighing in.

Tilden, Cheyenne has an extremely long body.

I have a neighbor dog who's half springer and half pointer, and she's extremely long bodied and thin. I just talked to her mom this morning, and she was excited that they got her to gain six pounds this summer. It's not that the dog doesn't eat--I've dogsat her, and she eats just fine--but she never stops moving. I've never seen a dog glory so much in running and being outside. If she's happy to see you, she has to circle the yard three times in joy before she actually greets you. Anyway, could some sort of pointer be involved enough to give Cheyenne a body that's thinner and longer than a collie and/or give him more height and length than a sheltie? Come to think of it, any number of sporting breeds might give him more length and a more slender body build than a sheltie.

For one thing, his collie's snout was much more pointed and he was was hairier.

---Collies can have very pointy muzzles, which you definitely notice when they nose you.

My late dog was part Sheltie and part Chow-Chow. She was purchased in a pet store.

---One of the most gorgeous dogs I've ever seen was half red chow and half Siberian huskie. He was built like a huskie and had incredible blue eyes but had the thick red hair of a chow. He was just striking--and extremely friendly. When I asked his owner if I cold pet him, as soon as I got the word "pet" out, the dog put his head directly under my hand.

My neighbor has a cat who comes into my yard and Cheyenne absolutely is intrigued by her. The cat is non-plussed by her as there are other dogs in her family. Cheyenne tries to engage her in play but the cat just sits there immobile. Finally Chey gets frustrated and starts barking at her as if to say "Come on, what's wrong with you? Let's play." It's absolutely adorable.

---My dog finds cats just peculiar and wants nothing to do with them. He doesn't chase them or bark at them. He simply pretends they don't exist. I went to let him in about a week ago, and there was a huge, obviously well-cared for Himalayan I'd never seen before (or since--I kinda think a housecat slipped out and went on a lark and has returned home) in my yard. But the dog refused to acknowledge there even was a cat in the yard. Either that or he was afraid the thing could take him. It certainly looked as if it outweighed him.

I guess it doesn't matter what breed(s) she is, I just am curious.

---I've always owned mutts, and I've always enjoyed speculating about what they might be. I once told a woman who seemed a bit snotty when she inquired about my dog's breeding that he was an American Lapsitter--and she said she'd heard of that and wanted to know the qualities of the breed. I told her he was born in America and sits in laps.

Forgive my ramblings, but I could talk about Cheyenne all day long.
    ---Couldn't we all say the same of our pets?

FORT Fogey

Oops...sorry Eastcoastmom...somehow some of my replies to your post ended up in the quoted portion of your post. And now that I've had to post again anyway, do any of the rest of you have pets who seem unusually interested in having their photographs taken? My dog will cozy up to almost anyone with a camera, particularly if the camera is large and professional-looking. He's gotten total strangers to take his photograph at the most touristy park in town. He's also willing to pose in ways that have made people assume the photographs have been photoshopped, and they haven't. He's just a ridiculously huge ham.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4052035;
    And now that I've had to post again anyway, do any of the rest of you have pets who seem unusually interested in having their photographs taken?
    Pets? I have no pets - I am THE STAFF to Mr. Joey (the white and Black 15 pound 15 year old) and the caretaker of the dear departed Miss Mona's ashes.(That beautiful Tabby, who could stop a train in it's tracks with THE LOOK) If anyone is the pet, it is I.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4052035;
    Oops...sorry Eastcoastmom...somehow some of my replies to your post ended up in the quoted portion of your post. And now that I've had to post again anyway, do any of the rest of you have pets who seem unusually interested in having their photographs taken? My dog will cozy up to almost anyone with a camera, particularly if the camera is large and professional-looking. He's gotten total strangers to take his photograph at the most touristy park in town. He's also willing to pose in ways that have made people assume the photographs have been photoshopped, and they haven't. He's just a ridiculously huge ham.
    That's adorable, Tilden. My dog won't sit still long enough to pose for photos.

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4052046;
    Pets? I have no pets - I am THE STAFF to Mr. Joey (the white and Black 15 pound 15 year old) and the caretaker of the dear departed Miss Mona's ashes.(That beautiful Tabby, who could stop a train in it's tracks with THE LOOK) If anyone is the pet, it is I.

Sweet kitties.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4052046;

And here I deliberately went back and typed pets, instead of dogs, because I didn't want to offend those with cats, but I completely forgot that dogs have owners and cats have staff.

I don't know about a train, but my dog wouldn't get within twenty feet of Miss Mona doing THE LOOK. He'll ask to go out in a storm to bark at the thunder, he'll play wrestle pit bulls, but he wants nothing to do with cats. He developed that attitude after a neighbor cat, a very dog friendly cat, sidled him. He jumped sideways to get away from poor Hannah and looked at me and shuddered as if it was simply the most disconcerting thing that had ever happened to him. Ever since, he just turns his head when he sees a cat and pretends that the cat is not there.

By the way, I use the term "own" loosely when it comes to my dog as well. I am repeatedly reminded when I go to the nursing home, take him to school with me, or even walk through the neighborhood with him that he is the important one. Far more people know his name than mine. If he could drive, I wouldn't even be needed at the nursing home.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom;4052080;
    That's adorable, Tilden. My dog won't sit still long enough to pose for photos.
    Mine has gone down slides; posed in a vintage pedal car; sat behind an easel with a blank canvas in front of him and a paint brush beside him; sat on a pedestal; sat at a computer keyboard; stuck his head in my office mailbox; posed with an open book; posed with the school newspaper; posed with a basket of tomatoes in the school's community garden; posed in baseball cap; posed with a tiny backpack filled with notebook, pen, and cellphone; posed in front of a waterfall; reclined on a miniature couch; posed on the piano bench with his front paws on the keyboard....if he thinks it will get him attention (and a treat), he'll do it. It's gotten so bad that he'll move into a position that's been pointed out to him before I can even lead him there. On one occasion, when professional lighting was used, he walked into the room, looked at the lights, and centered himself between the lights and then looked directly at the camera, which kind of freaked out the photographer. He's also the sort of dog who typically has the big open-mouthed smile, so he looks like he's smiling for the camera. I'm convinced he was an actor in a former life. Or maybe just a narcissist. They had trouble getting photos of him at the nursing home once, because the photographer wanted him to look at the resident who was petting him, and he kept turning his face toward the camera. Normally, he'd be perfectly happy to look at whoever was petting him, but not with a camera in the room. I finally had to stand behind the resident, out of camera range, with a treat in my hand to get him to look at the person and not the camera. Oh, and sitting still is not a big problem for my dog. He's built more for comfort than for speed, and he's now ten. He's good at sitting and even better at lying down.

+ Reply to Thread