+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;4025598;
    just1paul ... she is 9 years old and thus too old for insurance now, but it is something people may want to think about if they have a younger dog.
    I totally agree- had I known I would have gotten it when I adopted Joey right away.

I decided to apply for a credit card to be used just for any Joey emegencies after Mona passed away and fortunately I still have it sitting there unused with a nice limit just in case.....
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

echo226, They also have a medical credit card for people called Care Credit, you can pay monthly installments interest free for so many months (3,6,9 etc.) They don't charge you interest as long as you pay it off in the time they give you, but you do have to call before the proceedure and set it up. Some Vets will a let you use Care Credit at their clinics. It might be something that you could use.
    I don't have pet insurance either, but do have money set aside, with Rusty and his seizures, I never know when one will break through his meds and we will have to make a mad dash to the Vet. Good luck, we will wait and wring our hands with you.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My vets don't take credit or debit cards. Heck....then don't even have computers. They bang away on a manual typewriter. They will take a check or cash, only, and they will allow you to split up your payment.
    And they have a HUGE practice.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My vet has a practice of taking the pet in the back for any procedure, such as a blood draw, etc. When we were there the other day, they took her 3 times, once for the blood, once to scrape some of the plaque, and once to "tip" her nails. As I said, she is a velcro dog and would not go with them, after the blood draw and when they carried her she was looking over their shoulders for me.

On the way home we visited a Nursing Home where my aunt is a resident and while she was good, she was visibly (to me) nervous and wouldn't take her eyes off me. This is really different behavior for her. She is a real people dog and is usually anxious to share her joyfulness with the folks there.

I realized later that the last 3 times she was in the car were to the groomer's twice and then the vet. All of these experiences had people taking her from me and then her being "manhandled" in some way. She was a little trembly getting out of the car at the groomer and the other day at the vet and I don't want her to be afraid and worked up the morning of the procedure ... or ever for that matter.

Soooooo .... for the next couple of days, I've resolved to take her on happy car trips ... or at least car trips to pleasant destinations. I knew I was right to do this when this afternoon as I went to put her travel gear on she stiffened her front legs, and actually clenched her front paws! Once the harness was on she was distressed and removing throw pillows from their designated positions! Again, this very different behavior for her and she was clearly stressed.

I also stopped to greet a neighbor's while on our "happy trip" and the neighbor reached in to pet her and said she could feel her trembling. When I next stopped the car she stared crying a little ... again, afraid.

BUT ... this time the destination was another neighbor's home for a play date with a sweet little pug ! Yay! It was fun for her and she is zonked this evening.

More happy trips coming up and to continue even after this dental procedure,

Still wringing my hands ... but hanging in there with my little sweetheart.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

You're doing all the right things echo226....
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Ok, this is going to seem a little crazy but my hubby and I just found out our male dog that we've had for going on 5 mos that we named Peanut is a female, I have no idea how we didn't figure that out but we didn't.. when we picked up the puppy we said we wanted to get a boy and the people pointed him out and said 'he's a boy' and because he is so young it just didn't stand out to us that he wasn't in fact a boy.. now my husband wants to change her name, my question to everybody is : do you think she's still young enough that she can learn a new name?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison_2008;4032557;
    Ok, this is going to seem a little crazy but my hubby and I just found out our male dog that we've had for going on 5 mos that we named Peanut is a female, I have no idea how we didn't figure that out but we didn't.. when we picked up the puppy we said we wanted to get a boy and the people pointed him out and said 'he's a boy' and because he is so young it just didn't stand out to us that he wasn't in fact a boy.. now my husband wants to change her name, my question to everybody is : do you think she's still young enough that she can learn a new name?
    What's wrong with peanut?

Anyway - when Joey was adopted 14 years ago, my drunky roomie at the time (Joey was supposed to be his, since I had Mona- another story) couldn't decide so the first name was Buddy for the first couple weeks, then someone looked DOWN THERE and did not SEE THAT YET and he decided that this GIRL would now be called ZOEY. Well a couple months later "ZOEY" decided to MARK "HER" territory and we found out SHE was in FACT HE - and ZOEY became JOEY. So yes - if repeated I believe Peanut will learn a new name.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

This is too cool.

Dog nurses kittens. [VIDEO]

Quote Originally Posted by Madison_2008;4032557;
    "Peanut" seems to be an "either sex" name, so why can't she still be "Peanut"?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I've adopted grown dogs and changed their names. One dog was a stray with no fixed name at the shelter. Another dog was named "Sally" which is my mom's name, so I changed it to Suki. Both dogs responded to their new names within a day. I just repeated their name a lot in a happy voice, and praised them when they would look at me.

And I think Peanut is a cute name for a boy or girl.

+ Reply to Thread