+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1383Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

I have heard to stop kitties from useing flower beds ect, is to add small lava rock into the soil. Make sure it won't bother your type of flowers.

I'm having the same problem. I have a small landscaped area right by our back door and a stray cat has made it her daily litterbox! Unfortunately, most people come in that back door.... What a greeting.
    I need something that rain won't wash away because we get alot of rain here. I'll look into Lava rocks. Thanks. Any other ideas out there for this stinky problem?

FORT Fanatic

These are a couple of things I have used over the years:

I have planted Lavender and Pennyroyal in the garden which gives off a smell that cats dislike.

I have also put mothballs (drop them into a can or jar, cover, and make a few holes in the cover) or sprinkled cayenne pepper flakes around the garden. Cats do not like the smell of either of these.

Quote Originally Posted by chaserla;3964127;
    These are a couple of things I have used over the years:

I have planted Lavender and Pennyroyal in the garden which gives off a smell that cats dislike.

I have also put mothballs (drop them into a can or jar, cover, and make a few holes in the cover) or sprinkled cayenne pepper flakes around the garden. Cats do not like the smell of either of these.
    One of the problems using HOT pepper type stuff is that if the cat steps into it and then tries to lick it off, the cat won't know what hit it with the spice sensation and will do anything to get it off including rubbing the face/eyes - anyone here remember what it wa slike to get hot pepper in your eyes? I read somewhere of a poor cat who literally scratched it's eyes almost out because of that.

People should not let cats out anyway and watch when you go through doors. Cats domesticated themselves for a reason. They are not meant to be "free roaming" outside the house.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

The mothball thing works well and doesn't harm the cat.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I don't want to put anything that would hurt or injure them, such as hot pepper. I'm going to try the citrus and the mothballs. I'll report back!

I don't know where to get lava rocks?

Lava rock is cheap, and comes in big bags at Home Depot, Lowes, or other home improvement stores.
    While on the subject, will mothballs repel dogs as well? I have a stray cat problem (unfixed tom spraying around and ON my house) and problems with the neighbors dogs using my yard for their potty as well. It reallly irks me because not only is it 2 BIG dogs, helets them out of the house every day, they come over here and doodoo, THEN he calls them back and puts them in the fenced back yard. I don't try to talk to him about it because hes almost deaf, and can't hear anything when he chooses not, plus he's the weird one who is always staring over here.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I remember when I thought I had a big tom urinating in my yard, right next to my front door, and everybody kept commenting on the smell. It was a couple of big, funky boxelder bushes that smelled just like stinky, aged urine! Got rid of the bushes, got rid of the problem.

Also just read that pine cones make a good deterrent and to use vinegar to treat any lingering smell.
    Why Do Some Trees & Bushes Smell Like Cat Urine? | eHow.com
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think I'll try the mothball trick first and see if that works for me. I have a very small space and that sounds the easiest. Thank you!

While the subject of critter control is active, any advise on chipmunks? They have had a population explosion here and are very destructive.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread