+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3929092;
    Wow

Did you get the furminator deluxe?

I used to use it on Monet. I didn't think it took that much off. I never had to separately brush him afterward to clear up the remnants, either.
    What kind of cat is Ringo? Isn't it a DSH like Monet?
    Yes..he's a regular old brown tabby (my black kitty is BooBoo, who won't let me furminate for near that long))
    I certainly didn't expect that either... but it will grow back. I suppose something could be weird about his undercoat, as I've certainly never heard of ALL of it coming off at once. I'll mention it to the vet next visit, but really, he seems healthy as can be.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Hope this isn't the sign of something metabolic starting up with him.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3929095;
    St. Croix,

I'm sorry for all your troubles with the cats.

In my area, we do have a lot of private rescue orgs for feral cats and the like.
    Do you happen to have any there?
    They often go beyond what a local shelter / Humane Society / ASPCA can do.
    Sorry for not answering you-- I've been sidelined with the Shingles!! Had NO clue how painful this is. I will get my Shingles vaccination as soon as I'm well,though, and encourage anyone else to do the same. We still have the poor little cat. I don't know of any private rescue orgs around here, but will call the Humane Society and see if they know of any. You'd think they'd have told me the day my husband and I were practically begging them to help us with this Mommacat and 5 kittens though if they'd known of one. They were overflowing with precious kittens. Also loving grown cats they'd had since they were kittens, just living in cages hoping to be adopted. This kind of thing just kills me! I can watch a movie where a person dies and feel sad, but just let an animal die and I'm a basket case! (Don't even mention Ol' Yeller to me, , I saw that as a child and boo hooed along with the rest of my friends. When my kids watched it years later I couldn't stay in the room!)

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3929202;
    There should be no animals performing in circuses. Please watch the video here and pass it on.

Ringling Brothers Circus' Over-the-Top Cruelty | RinglingBeatsAnimals.com

Here also

Circuses.com: The Circus is No Place for Animal Abuse
    I've never enjoyed a circus. Even as a kid I felt the animals were being forced to do things they wouldn't normally do and live in cages. When an elephant goes on a rampage and tries to make a break for it, I root for the elephant! (I can't watch this video, sorry. I know what's in it though and it's terrible)

On my honeymoon in Acapulco, Mexico, my husband and I went on a bus tour to a bullfight. What a horrible thing to watch! They were torturing that poor animal to make it fight. I sat there in shock, my husband was uncomfortable, a man sitting in front of us suddenly leaped up holding his mouth and bolted out of the stands! People can be so cruel. It was a happy, noisy trip to the bullfight, but a completely silent one back to the hotel. Sorry to get off topic, but circus animals, zoos, bulls, etc just seem like prisoners for our 'enjoyment'.

Crews Rescue 2-Day-Old Calf From Sinkhole (Video)

Crews Rescue 2-Day-Old Calf From Sinkhole
    Rescue Occurs In Hermitage

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- About 12 Nashville firefighters finally rescued a young calf from a Hermitage sinkhole Tuesday afternoon after about three hours.

The sinkhole is located near Tulip Grove Road in Hermitage. The 50-pound calf, born two days ago, was stuck between two rocks about 12 feet down in the sinkhole.

The calf's mother stayed near the hole while the firefighters conducted the rescue.

The fire department captain said that even though they were rescuing a calf, rather than a person, it was good experience because the techniques they use are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by stcroix;3932678;
    Sorry for not answering you-- I've been sidelined with the Shingles!! Had NO clue how painful this is. I will get my Shingles vaccination as soon as I'm well,though, and encourage anyone else to do the same. We still have the poor little cat. I don't know of any private rescue orgs around here, but will call the Humane Society and see if they know of any. You'd think they'd have told me the day my husband and I were practically begging them to help us with this Mommacat and 5 kittens though if they'd known of one. They were overflowing with precious kittens. Also loving grown cats they'd had since they were kittens, just living in cages hoping to be adopted. This kind of thing just kills me! I can watch a movie where a person dies and feel sad, but just let an animal die and I'm a basket case! (Don't even mention Ol' Yeller to me, , I saw that as a child and boo hooed along with the rest of my friends. When my kids watched it years later I couldn't stay in the room!)
    Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that.
    Shingles is extremely painful.

I get that way with animals., too, so i totally understand.
    It sounds like you may be in a more remote area where they amy not have the number of rescue groups, etc. that large metropolitan areas tend to.
    You may want to do an internet search, too. I know we have a lot of feral groups where I am, but again I'm in a major metropolitan area.
    Good luck and good luck with the shingles.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

It's sad; around here there are tons of rescue groups, and yet they are all overflowing with kittens; if I go there I want to take them all. Even my vets office has several year old kitties who have been there since they were babies, and a couple of new, dumped-out litters.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Last week, a storm blew a mulitrunk tree down on one of our bred heiffers. The tree fell on her spine and hips and pinned her head down. After we removed the tree, she was unable to get up. Her head and ears were up, which is a good sign in cows, we gave her feed and water, and let her rest. We called the Vet, and he was able to get her up by twisting her tail and pulling. It appears that she only has a spinal injury, which will take 3-6 weeks of healing time, and no internal injuries. The first few days were hard for her, getting up and down and walking.
    She gets to spend the summer in the barn and side lot, out of the summer heat, but she misses her buddies (they do come to the barn at feed time and visit her).
    Before her accident, she spent alot of time in the pond and unfortunately under a shadetree ... besides feeding time, I check on her twice a day... I was filling up her water trough with a hose and she looked hot, so I sprayed her and she loved it. Now, when she sees me get the hose she goes outside the barn in her pin and waits for me to spray her down, she stands with her eyes closed and chews her cud.
    We are just thankful that she will be okay.
    And for 6 weeks.... I have my very own "Cowwash".

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3936831;
    Last week, a storm blew a mulitrunk tree down on one of our bred heiffers. The tree fell on her spine and hips and pinned her head down. After we removed the tree, she was unable to get up. Her head and ears were up, which is a good sign in cows, we gave her feed and water, and let her rest. We called the Vet, and he was able to get her up by twisting her tail and pulling. It appears that she only has a spinal injury, which will take 3-6 weeks of healing time, and no internal injuries. The first few days were hard for her, getting up and down and walking.
    She gets to spend the summer in the barn and side lot, out of the summer heat, but she misses her buddies (they do come to the barn at feed time and visit her).
    Before her accident, she spent alot of time in the pond and unfortunately under a shadetree ... besides feeding time, I check on her twice a day... I was filling up her water trough with a hose and she looked hot, so I sprayed her and she loved it. Now, when she sees me get the hose she goes outside the barn in her pin and waits for me to spray her down, she stands with her eyes closed and chews her cud.
    I'm you got those words from HER, right? Love it!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3936831;
    I am so happy for her that she will be alright. Love the COWWASH.

The eyes closed part reminded of when Joey was a kitten and I tried the spray bottle approach to keep kitty out/away/off of things: first time I ever spritzed him - he ran. 2nd time- he walked about 3 steps and sat down. 3rd time- he just sat down. 4th time- he closed his eyes and waited for more. I swear if you have ever seen that picture of a cat wearing goggles, that would have been Joey. except of course his face is black and white.. PFFFT!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread