+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Canuck -

You'll know when the time is right. When the bad days begin to out number the good, you'll know... I'm thinking of you.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

canuckinchile, that is the toughest decision to make. My thoughts are with you and hope your little dog has more good days left!

dagwood, it is hard to witness the pain of a child over losing a pet. It compounds the loss. Perhaps you can plant a flower over the grave site?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I could be mistaken, but I heard it was lye that kept other animals from digging up buried animals.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Not lye, phroshay--that is caustic and would seriously injure any animal (or bad little boy) that got it in an eye or whatever--
    Lime (like what goes on grass, not the fruit) is probably what you mis-heard. It helps keep the odor down, some, and can help speed up decay. But it has to go on the buried body, not on top of the ground; a deep grave and a heavy rock on top are probably the best way to go, evewn if lime is added.
    C in chie, so sorry about your doggie, but I'm glad you were able to get her out of the pool!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You're right!!! L-I-M-E!!! It's been forever since I was told that. Thanks!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3918455;
    canuckinchile, that is the toughest decision to make. My thoughts are with you and hope your little dog has more good days left!

dagwood, it is hard to witness the pain of a child over losing a pet. It compounds the loss. Perhaps you can plant a flower over the grave site?
    We are putting down rocks actually. Some sort of ground cover to stop weeds and then white rocks with the red ones over the actual grave. Flowers will draw attention to it and there are too many kids in this neighborhood that if they knew they would probably try to dig it up. I am going to put rocks around the whole house (the grave being right next to it) so it doesn't stand out either.

I will look into finding lime to pour in there, too. Thanks for the advice.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I'm so sorry, canuck. Knowing when to let go isn't so easy sometimes. You just have to trust yourself to make the right decision. I think the most important thing is that she's not in any pain. Maybe your vet could give you some advice. Hang in there. Lots of us here know what you're going through
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Dagwood and Canuck, sending hugs your way. Both situations are difficult and I feel for both of you.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3918213;
    My daughter's hamster died last night. He was old, for a hamster. He had gone deaf and I think his sight was going, too. It was kind of a blessing because he had lost a lot of weight and was sick. She is still heartbroken, though. I had a feeling yesterday and tried to prepare her for it, but how can you prepare someone for losing their beloved pet. We buried him and put some stones over his grave so animals won't dig him back up. Now lets just hope the obnoxious kid that was over today leaves him alone. He wanted to dig him up to look at him. He got told no but some kids don't listen.
    Dagwood, please please give your daughter a hug and let her know that her hamster is at the rainbow bridge free of pain, playing again. I don't know how to prepare anyone for these types of losses.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

That's a tough decision to make.

But just when I despair, she wants to play and is having a good day.
    Sounds like Chauncy towards the end.

+ Reply to Thread