+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1265Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Buddy had an eye surgery last year to fix his left lid so he looks wonderful to me! I still can't believe he held still for me, especially since he was on my car. I think the sun made him lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3910423;
    I turned on the radio this morning to the saturday morning pet show, and they were talking about the very same thing. One of the suggestions was as you say gabriel, just ignore it. The worse thing you can do is hold them, cuddle etc (which I do) because they associate that as good behaviour when it storms or they hear fireworks.
    Just remember, he is already 'trained' to think something is really going wrong, so it will take quite a few times--you have to be mentally prepared to deal with seeing and hearing him do his usual, times ten, until it finally dawns on him that you aren't concerned, he shouldn't be either. And I know, many people will be shaking their heads going "NO, MY pet is different- no way will that work!" But, even if they have had the 'scared' behavior reinforced for years, they can get over it and will be much happier. Remember, they won't actually die from hiding under the bed.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3910875;
    Just remember, he is already 'trained' to think something is really going wrong, so it will take quite a few times--you have to be mentally prepared to deal with seeing and hearing him do his usual, times ten, until it finally dawns on him that you aren't concerned, he shouldn't be either. And I know, many people will be shaking their heads going "NO, MY pet is different- no way will that work!" But, even if they have had the 'scared' behavior reinforced for years, they can get over it and will be much happier. Remember, they won't actually die from hiding under the bed.
    THAT is precisely how I dealt with it with Mona and Joey. It took a few thunderstorms etc., but it works. Even now once in a while if I raise my voice to the TV or something, Joey starts to take off and then figures what the heck and just stops and drops for a nap.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

For some strange reason Buddy is not really that freaked out about thunder. Maybe because it doesn't happen here very often. He usually gets much more scared if I am wearing different shoes or am carrying a bag into the house or something He was an abandoned kitten so he came to us skitterish. He is a big baby, but we never give up trying to make him relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3910885;
    For some strange reason Buddy is not really that freaked out about thunder. Maybe because it doesn't happen here very often. He usually gets much more scared if I am wearing different shoes or am carrying a bag into the house or something He was an abandoned kitten so he came to us skitterish. He is a big baby, but we never give up trying to make him relax.
    New shoes make Joey wary also. I never wear shoes in the apartment so when I have shoes on Joey W A T C H E S me very closely. Buddy will relax when he relaxes...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

While sitting at my computer this morning, Miss Chloe was in her usual spot (to my immediate right, on the desk) and started staring at my hair with huge, unblinking eyes eyes; fortunately, she was purring, loudly. I shook my finger in her face, while cracking up, I said to her (through closed teeth), "Don't you be staring at my hair! You just quit it right now!" She started snuggling my "fussing finger"! I'm telling you, the joys that they can bring is amazing.

Just what I need in my life.......another critic! If I wanted their opinions, I'd ask for them...wouldn't you think?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I did the ignoring treatment on Saturday night, which was the worse night for fireworks. He would go and hide, then would come out and crawl on me, up to my shoulders and looking over the couch that I was sitting on. He would jump off, want to go out, then go back and hide. This went on for a couple of hours. All the while, he was panting like it was the end of the world. At one point I couldn't find him, he went down into the basement into the futherest corner possible, sitting in the dark. He would never go down the steps if the light wasn't turned on, little bugger.

I went to bed, (he sleeps with me) turned on my clock radio, and he seemed to settle right down, just like when a child throws a temper tantrum and finally falls asleep. The odd firecracker would go off, after 10pm by this time, and he would raise his head, I'd tell him to lay down, and he did.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to do the same thing for thunderstorms.

way to go!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

It sounds like Buddy is really smart--and you will all be much happier after you go through a few more days like that!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Gustav celebrates his 11th birthday today. That's very old for Newfs, but he's in pretty good shape for the shape he's in.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread