+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Its this weekend, May 24th, Victoria Day in Canada. I'm going to google it, to see if I can find any info on it. He goes to the Vet a week Monday for his heartworm, I wish I would have thought of calling the Vet today, not sure if they are open tomorrow.

Pretty much the same info from different sites. I just combined a few of them. I found the last one interesting. I just might try it.

Another method of helping your dog overcome his fear is to slowly and gradually accustom him to the noises that frighten him. This can be done by making a recording of the sounds and playing it back to the dog while he is enjoying everyday life and activities.

First, never reprimand or punish the dog for being afraid. He will only become more frightened. Secondly, never verbally or physically try to reassure or comfort the dog when he is acting fearful. If you stroke, cradle or hug your dog while saying things like, 'Oh poor baby, it's OK, there's nothing to be afraid of,' the dog doesn't understand your words, but he does understand that he is receiving a gentle, soothing reward by your actions and tone of voice. The dog usually concludes it is doing the right thing by acting nervous because you are so approving of it.

before the fireworks start, wear your dog out. extra long walk, extra time in the sun - swimming if you can do that with your dog. wear the dog out completely and totally and that should help a great deal.

Many dogs will hide in a closet or under the bed, this works well as long as there is nothing harmful in the area or nothing the dog might destroy

A tight fitting t-shirt is supposed to help. I don't know how it helps but many people swear by it.

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

I had read about this idea and tried it out with my Mimzy kitty, it really worked well.
    Take a small piece of cooking foil. Let the cat see, smell, touch. Then slowly start
    rattling and shaking it several times every day. While doing it say "thunder" or whatever
    you are trying to associate with that noise. Then get bigger pieces and be louder and say
    the code word as loud as the noise you make. After awhile when there is loud noises,
    you can just say the code word
    and they will not get as upset. I also, had someone be outside and rattle the foil, while I
    was inside telling her that it was "thunder" and OK.
    I would also get out the foil and reinforce the thought before any storms. It would work for
    anything that was load and I wanted her to be calm. At the start I also left the foil out on the
    floor for her to check out on her own. She took to laying on it LOL which was very cute.

When I had a drunky roomie many many years ago, he would get very agitated during storms and loud noises, (making an ass out of himself as usual) Mona (bows head) and Joey would both run and hide. After I moved here with them 13 years ago I would just ignore it and go about my business and after a few storms, Mona would do what she did for fire engines, crowds, trucks unloading etc., and go to the window when it thundered and watch the sky, same as when fireworks were going off - she would look for them. That sweet girl LOVED lightning and thunderstorms. Joey would just be whereever going HO HUM. Now when it thunders or there are fireworks etc., I can see his ears move but if he is napping he stays put or goes about usual business.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I turned on the radio this morning to the saturday morning pet show, and they were talking about the very same thing. One of the suggestions was as you say gabriel, just ignore it. The worse thing you can do is hold them, cuddle etc (which I do) because they associate that as good behaviour when it storms or they hear fireworks.

Mimzy, I would never have thought of that!

Tonight and Monday night will be the worst for fireworks. I took Louie for our usual long Saturday morning walk, I will take him mid afternoon and again after supper. Then I'll do the ignore method tonight and just behave normally!

bud52010.JPG

Mr. Scaredy Cat held still for a rare photo session while atop my car this morning... Meet Buddy! He is still wearing his winter coat so is a little fluffy right now.

Wow Cootie,

He's beautiful, or should I say, handsome?

He reminds me a lot of Dex who's now on the Rainbow Bridge. Very similar coloring. Dexterhaven 2 001.jpg
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

Beautiful, Handsome, the both fit! Love his bid paws.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3910678;
    Attachment 26542

Mr. Scaredy Cat held still for a rare photo session while atop my car this morning... Meet Buddy! He is still wearing his winter coat so is a little fluffy right now.
    What a HANDSOME fella!!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Buddy is fine, and he knows it!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread