+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3891082;
    I just found out Laurel and Hardy's mom is real sick and will probably have to be euthanized soon. Here she is with Hardy when he was a baby.

We had to have her put down this morning, Unk. We'd hoped that she'd go peacefully on her own, but last night she entered a stage where she was obviously suffering. Paulie and I decided to call the vet this morning and I took her in when he left to drop the kids off at school. I stayed with her through it and she went very peacefully. Its been just such a long, drawn-out ordeal that it was a relief to see her at peace after it was over. Its comforting to know that she had two lovely boys during her short life that now live on with you. Take good care of them for me. Give them an extra scritch today from their momma. She was a terrible mom to them, but I'm sure she'd be glad they were still around, too.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD

I'm so sorry Star. It's so hard to lose our furry family.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm so sorry Stargazer.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What was "Mom's" illness? I learn so much in here.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm so sorry to hear that Star. Sorry, I don't know anything about cats, why was she a terrible mom?

Like prhoshay, I learn so much in here!

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;3892705;
    We had to have her put down this morning, Unk.
    I'm sorry to hear this Star. Extra scritches for the boys tonight for sure.

Thanks everyone. prhoshay, she had Feline Chronic Renal Disease (or Failure). She was either born with bad kidneys or acquired them when she suffered a massive infection as a very young cat after her hysterectomy. Its usually a disease of elderly cats, but she was only five when she died. She's been sick on and off for about the past three years. Unfortunately, the disease wasn't even discovered until about 70% of her kidneys were destroyed because cats have an ability to use very little of their kidneys without showing any symptoms. Also, they didn't look for it in such a young cat at first. If it had been discovered earlier, it would have been possible to prolong her life by maybe another year or two, but even then it would have been difficult. As it was, she had flare-ups where she wouldn't eat or drink. I've been through many different cat foods in the past year, trying to keep her eating. The past week or two, I had out an entire smorgasbord of anything and everything I thought she might eat, from egg whites to tuna (two things that are not always great for cats, but my vet suggested them since she was starving herself to death). Nothing worked and she finally went into liver failure (the whites of her eyes turned yellow yesterday, which is a very bad sign), so we had her put down this morning.

GuardianAngel-She was my neighbor's kitten a few years ago and my neighbor moved away and left her behind. I adopted her, only to discover she was pregnant. So she was really just a baby herself when she had kittens. She stopped feeding them and I had to bottle feed them. I was only able to save the two that are now Unk's cats. Little Kitty was fixed immediately afterward.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

That's the same thing my Tigger suffered from. He quit eating, lost a ton of weight. It was awful. I even was giving him IV's every night to try to keep him alive but it ended up being too much for him. Shortly after I had him euthanized is when you posted pictures of the boys and it was all over with then.

I remember very well, Unk. I was just looking back through this thread the other night because I wanted to see what year that was. Seemed like yesterday that I met you in the parking lot and handed them over.

Here's the picture you posted that melted my heart and sold me on them.

And the day I got them from you

Last edited by Unklescott; 05-03-2010 at 06:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread