+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1319Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

My boy Chauncy caught one once. His snout swelled up huge! I was getting ready to eat dinner and looked at him and thought what the hell? Then I remembered he was chasing bugs at the park. Called the vet and and had to give him benadryl. The vet said to keep an eye on him and if his breathing got labored to take him in asap. Poor ol' goofy dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3868801;
    My boy Chauncy caught one once. His snout swelled up huge! I was getting ready to eat dinner and looked at him and thought what the hell? Then I remembered he was chasing bugs at the park. Called the vet and and had to give him benadryl. The vet said to keep an eye on him and if his breathing got labored to take him in asap. Poor ol' goofy dog.

But what a handsome fella

My SIL just sent a few pics of my Mastiff. They were kind enough to watch her while we made our way back to Canada a couple of years ago. I just love this one, because it is so typical. Apparently, she sought out the baby all the time and even though she kind of looks like Eeyore, became very attached to her.

Very nice pictures everyone!

Here is a feel good story. Holly, short for Hollyfield the boxer is a beautiful Samoyed who lives not far from me, on a fairly busy street. Holly is always laying around, but will get up, walk slowly and comes to the fence to greet Louie on our walks. Holly is always outside, sitting on the porch or the front lawn, everyone knows Holly. I've often wondered why I don't see anyone around. I walk by every morning at around 6:00am and every evening after work, never have I ever seen anyone around.

One of my co workers, a couple of weeks ago, asked if I knew the dog who lived at the corner of so and so, the white Samoyed. I said oh yeah, that's Holly. Well, she had driven by and noticed Holly, she used to have a Samoyed. I guess she's been "stalking" the home, because she could tell he really wasn't groomed, wasn't spunky and just had the feeling something was not right. The house has the last name on the mailbox. She found the phone number of the owner, called the owner, and asked if the dog ever gets walked, and if not, she is willing to walk him. To make a long story short, he doesn't live there! He makes sure there is food and water, and lives with his girlfriend, she offered to buy Holly but he wouldn't have any part of that. His 8 yrs old daughter would miss Holly. this made my co worker furious. Holly sits around all day, and the only time she interacts with anyone is when people walk by. This type of dog needs to walk, alot. They agreed that she can go and walk him anytime she wants.

She has been walking him twice a day, last night she was walking by my house. She had taken him to the canal, which he jumped in no problem and had a ball. She took him to her house for a few hours while she did yard work, he laid around like he owned the place. The other day she got him groomed, he stood on the groomers table and started licking the groomer. Can dogs talk? I think so.

This morning when I walked by, Holly was sitting on the porch, bright eyed and alert, watching the cars go by waiting for my co worker, I could tell he was just waiting and waiting and will wait untill she gets there.

She called the Humane society, but unfortunatly if there's food water and shelter, nothing can be done, which is sad.

At least he is now getting attention, a great work out, well its more like he takes her for a walk. and you can tell he is so happy.

The next step is to see if we can get Louie, a 12 pound shih tzu to walk nicely with Holly who's approx 80 pounds.

If we are successful, I will have to take a picture of that and share.

MRD

Well Bogie got a bee today. He knocked it out of the air and it hit the deck and couldn't fly anymore. I do NOT know how he managed not to get stung.
    I'm hoping when I mow tomorrow that the dandelions and other weedy flowers will be gone and the bees with them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3869030;
    My SIL just sent a few pics of my Mastiff. They were kind enough to watch her while we made our way back to Canada a couple of years ago. I just love this one, because it is so typical. Apparently, she sought out the baby all the time and even though she kind of looks like Eeyore, became very attached to her.

Adorable - absolutely adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3869064;
    Very nice pictures everyone!

Here is a feel good story. Holly, short for Hollyfield the boxer is a beautiful Samoyed who lives not far from me, on a fairly busy street. Holly is always laying around, but will get up, walk slowly and comes to the fence to greet Louie on our walks. Holly is always outside, sitting on the porch or the front lawn, everyone knows Holly. I've often wondered why I don't see anyone around. I walk by every morning at around 6:00am and every evening after work, never have I ever seen anyone around.

One of my co workers, a couple of weeks ago, asked if I knew the dog who lived at the corner of so and so, the white Samoyed. I said oh yeah, that's Holly. Well, she had driven by and noticed Holly, she used to have a Samoyed. I guess she's been "stalking" the home, because she could tell he really wasn't groomed, wasn't spunky and just had the feeling something was not right. The house has the last name on the mailbox. She found the phone number of the owner, called the owner, and asked if the dog ever gets walked, and if not, she is willing to walk him. To make a long story short, he doesn't live there! He makes sure there is food and water, and lives with his girlfriend, she offered to buy Holly but he wouldn't have any part of that. His 8 yrs old daughter would miss Holly. this made my co worker furious. Holly sits around all day, and the only time she interacts with anyone is when people walk by. This type of dog needs to walk, alot. They agreed that she can go and walk him anytime she wants.

She has been walking him twice a day, last night she was walking by my house. She had taken him to the canal, which he jumped in no problem and had a ball. She took him to her house for a few hours while she did yard work, he laid around like he owned the place. The other day she got him groomed, he stood on the groomers table and started licking the groomer. Can dogs talk? I think so.

This morning when I walked by, Holly was sitting on the porch, bright eyed and alert, watching the cars go by waiting for my co worker, I could tell he was just waiting and waiting and will wait untill she gets there.

She called the Humane society, but unfortunatly if there's food water and shelter, nothing can be done, which is sad.

At least he is now getting attention, a great work out, well its more like he takes her for a walk. and you can tell he is so happy.

The next step is to see if we can get Louie, a 12 pound shih tzu to walk nicely with Holly who's approx 80 pounds.

If we are successful, I will have to take a picture of that and share.
    Great story thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3869122;
    Well Bogie got a bee today. He knocked it out of the air and it hit the deck and couldn't fly anymore. I do NOT know how he managed not to get stung.
    I'm hoping when I mow tomorrow that the dandelions and other weedy flowers will be gone and the bees with them.
    How about that - let's hope they will be gone then.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3869122;
    If your dandelions are anything like the ones I used to have, you could mow them in the morning/afternoon, and by nighttime they'd be standing up at full attention. I often wondered if that was because there was a dull blade on the mower. I don't think my former-husband ever got that thing serviced or the blade sharpened.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3869652;
    If your dandelions are anything like the ones I used to have, you could mow them in the morning/afternoon, and by nighttime they'd be standing up at full attention. I often wondered if that was because there was a dull blade on the mower. I don't think my former-husband ever got that thing serviced or the blade sharpened.
    that's just the nature of the beast (dandelions)
    GuardianAngel, what a wonderful story and your coworker is a great person.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Today my little Chloe became a "regular" cat. I finally coaxed her into sampling some tuna. She hates "people" food, and would run whenever I opened a can. I told her cats usually do run when tuna is involved, but they run toward the can, not away from it. I set some down and watched as she inched her way over. When she finally got close enough, she bat it her paw. It didn't bite or sting, so she put her nose to it. She sniffed it for a good long time, finally deciding that it was at least worth a taste. She sampled it, and gave me a look like "hey...that's not bad". She just ate a teeny bit, but I was so proud of her.

I have had eight cats in my life, from childhood to present, but I've never had one like Chloe. I got curious resently about her breed, and looked it up on the internet. I discovered that Tortie cats are 99.9% of the time girls, and that they are not a "breed" at all. The term tortoiseshell refers only to their mottled appearance. They are known to be intelligent, active, possessive of their owners, and hot-tempered. Chloe is very hot-tempered, especially after she's used her litter box. If it's #1, I'll be told, but if it's #2, she will scream at me until it is removed. It is always removed in a timely fashion, but if I happen to be away from home when she does her thing, she'll be screaming at me the minute I walk in, and I know just what's up. Once it's taken care of, she reverts to her sweetie self. So I completely agree with the hot-tempered description. She gets made at me when when I put shoes on, because she knows it means I'm walking out that door.

The intelligent part...well, I believe that about all cats, but Chloe did something remarkable last weekend. I had a little toy, from some fast-food kids meal. It was a red barn, and inside was a zebra on wheels that would come rolling out when a little lever was pushed. I spent many combined hours sending that zebra across the kitchen floor for her, 20, 30 times in a row. She loved it. The zebra disappeared at least half a year ago, and all that was left was the little red barn, which took up residence on the floor near her toy box. Last weekend, I was rearranging some furniture, and I found the zebra. I gave it to Chloe, and she rubbed her head all over it. Then, to my complete and utter amazement, she picked up the zebra in her mouth, and dropped it by the little red barn!!! She then beckoned me to let the good times roll once again. Which they did, of course, because I'm a complete sucker for that little girl.

0301001632_0001[1].jpg 0408001738[1].jpg
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Sounds like she's trained you well! She's happy, and you are, obviously, mushy!! I'm sure she thought she'd NEVER rein you in!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread