+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

It's just the one gurl. She's still a big baby, and has things to work out, I guess. She likes getting into swat fests with her "sisters", and they sit and swing and hiss and growl at each other (actually, it's usually them vocalizing at her), turn their heads away from each other, and never make contact. They look totally foolish.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3857793;
    This is Rosie who was awaken while taking a catnap on a haybale. She is channeling Mona's "the look".
    You are NOT kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3857819;
    It's just the one gurl. She's still a big baby, and has things to work out, I guess. She likes getting into swat fests with her "sisters", and they sit and swing and hiss and growl at each other (actually, it's usually them vocalizing at her), turn their heads away from each other, and never make contact. They look totally foolish.
    All I have to say is GO GURL!

Not only are we comparing the look, these two photos also seem to say GO GURL!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3856442;
    Since losing my Jasper in December, I've been working through my grief and giving Suki lots of attention, but I think I'm ready to get a new kitten. Suki has never been very bonded to me - she was always bonded to Jasper - so I'm sort of a pathetic substitute for a cat. She likes me fine, but she really needs a feline companion. I'd like to get another male because I've just had better luck with them disposition-wise. I've been looking at my budget and I can afford it BUT I'm wondering how much it costs now to neuter a cat. It's been so many years - about 14 to be exact - since I had to think about this. Anyone had to pay for this lately?
    I am so sorry about your loss.
    I don't know how old Suki is, but I would definitely think about adopting an older cat - older than a kitten that is.
    I've always adopted from a shelter, foundation or the like. They charge you to adopt, but the cats are always spayed or neutered or they pay to get that done for you. I understand the point about males and I've had the same experience, myself.
    As far as the cost to spay / neuter, I'm in a very large urban area in CA. Just about any feline you'd come across has already been spayed / neutered, primarily due to the overpopulation problem. And, the majority of vets here, if they were to come across an unspayed / unneutered animal, would do the deed for a very nominal cost.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3857195;
    I'm telling you Lil Bit -- That Pug avatar always makes me smile BIG LIKE!
    Roxie makes me smile every day!

Inthegarden - No, I haven't seen that ad, but with school and all, I haven't had much time for anything lately.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I learned that they cut a notch in the ear of a kitty who has been saved, say from an alley, and I did find a tiny notch in the ear of one of my gurls, Miss Celie. The other two who were adopted were not rescued from the wild.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Shay, they usually only do the ear notch if she was a "TNR" cat (trap, neuter, release) which is how AC can determine if they have caught a feral, but already fixed kitty, without having to handle it, so as not to waste money taking it back to the shelter. It's usually done by rescue groups, when they trap 'nuisance" cats or cats hanging around shopping centers, or whatever, that turn out to be too wild to be adopted out. But I suppose Celie could have been marked as a little baby.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I think she was. In fact, she was initially named after the neighborhood in which she was found. And her notch is so small that you have to really be examining her to find it.

The shelters here would notch the cats ear even if they weren't ferals. Now, they clip the tip off the ear of the ferals to identify that they have been spayed or neutered. The feral cats that are brought in to the clinics to be spayed or neutered that are adoptable, are sent to the no kill shelter. The low cost clinics use a tattoo on their belly.

I'm not sure about other cattle herds, but our cows are very protective of each other as well as all the calves. In the pastures, we have found flatten groundhogs, snakes and turkeys who have gotten too close. They keep an eye out for anything that might threaten the calf, I've even seen them chase a Helium balloon and a plastic bag.
    The firsttime moms, like us, are the worst, the older cows are more relaxed and will leave their calf to go graze. Have you have ever driven past a field of cows, and noticed how all the calves will be bedded down in a group with a few cows either grazing or laying down close? We call those cows the babysitters, they take turns grazing and watching the calves. You might think they are not paying any attention, but if one of the calves were to bawl, they would be right there to protect the calf.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 03-20-2010 at 12:36 PM.

inthegarden, that's so cool about their protective/maternal instincts. I always love the expressions cows give at the fence when we pass by - so contented. Now I'll have a new respect for them, knowing they may be ready to flatten me if I seem a threat.
    remember to play

Laurel taking a "cat nap".

+ Reply to Thread