+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1269Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Happy 13th Birthday Rosie... extra treats
    Mrd, country living is great, and I would like to add to queenb's worry wart list... ground bees, tick nest which are bad in the spring and the ticks are so tiny you can't see them until they cover the pet and you and you feel like you are on fire, poison ivy that they roll in and then you get from petting them, deer that charge if they have babies nearby, and if you have outdoor trash cans lock the lids or use a bungee cord to tie the lid on, walk them on a leash at night so they won't surprise a skunk, and if you are on a septic system, change to liquid detergents and limit your use of antibacterial soaps.
    I took Rusty, who turns 12 in April in to the Vet for his yearly check-up and his liver test (he's on seizure meds). All results were good, the vet looked at Rusty's teeth and then his chart and ask if his teeth had ever been cleaned, No, she said he has the cleanest teeth I've ever seen.
    I didn't tell her it was because he doesn't chew his food, but inhales it.

We call our cat Mac 'Mac Attack' because he likes to sneak up on all the others. I yell "Heads Up its Mac Attack" and they are ready for him.

Monet sends Happy Birthday Greetings to Rosie!!

Monet (who will be 15 this summer) feels that 13 is the perfect age!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I'm a bit upset right now. I was talking to my son's ex yesterday and she told me that her parents were getting a new puppy. They have a dog, Buddy, who is quite old, and I said, "Oh, I'm sorry. Did Buddy die?" He didn't. Apparently, they are going to put Buddy down so they can get this puppy. I see this dog every other week when I pick up my grandkids, and he is old, gray and a bit on the thin side, but otherwise he seems healthy. He always greets me at the door, jumps up on me, and always tries to sneak out when I leave. Maybe he has problems that I'm not aware of but from what was said, I got the impression that they were "getting rid" of poor Buddy because they couldn't have two dogs, and they want this new puppy. I'm wondering if their vet will agree to do this if there isn't any apparent health issue with him or if he isn't in a lot of pain. It just makes me sad (and kind of angry) that someone can just "throw away" a member of their family like that. But, maybe they don't think of their animals that way.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lil Bit, that is so sad
    Last spring we had a pitiful, starved cat come to our farm. (I may have talked to about him before). I worked hard trying to find his owners and rehabilitating this cat and after several months, he had gained weight and all his cuts, scrapes had been healed. He turned out to be a very handsome long haired neutered cat, just one problem, he wanted to fight my cats all the time, so I tried to find him a home. One day, I was bringing him back inside and he bit my hand, it got really swollen to the point that I couldn't use it, Mr. Ing made me go to the doc and they sent me to the emergency room and in turn they reported the bite to the health department.
    They wanted to take the cat and have him put to sleep and have him tested for rabies, I persuaded them to let me confine him for the two week period. After the two week period, I had to report back to the health department and they told me I was free to do what I wanted with the cat. After all failed attempts to find this cat a home, I felt I had no choice, but to take this perfectly healthy sweet but frustrated cat and have him put to sleep. The vet had worked with me on this cat and knew his history and when I told her I couldn't keep him, couldn't find him a home and rather than dump him, the most humane thing for me to do was have him put to sleep. I was really upset.
    After I got home, the vet called me back to say that if it was okay with me, they had decided to keep him and let him stay in the feed rooms and office to be a mouser and of course I agreed.
    Well, he has really turned out to be a gem and they all love him. I see him whenever I have to go to the vet and he looks so content. He has a bed on the front counter and greets all the people and their pets, gets all the 'only cat' attention that he craved, and has eliminated their mouse population. Whenever they do the laundry, he lays on the dryer (that is where his bed was at my house). I am so happy that things have worked out for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3853367;
    I'm a bit upset right now. I was talking to my son's ex yesterday and she told me that her parents were getting a new puppy. They have a dog, Buddy, who is quite old, and I said, "Oh, I'm sorry. Did Buddy die?" He didn't. Apparently, they are going to put Buddy down so they can get this puppy. I see this dog every other week when I pick up my grandkids, and he is old, gray and a bit on the thin side, but otherwise he seems healthy. He always greets me at the door, jumps up on me, and always tries to sneak out when I leave. Maybe he has problems that I'm not aware of but from what was said, I got the impression that they were "getting rid" of poor Buddy because they couldn't have two dogs, and they want this new puppy. I'm wondering if their vet will agree to do this if there isn't any apparent health issue with him or if he isn't in a lot of pain. It just makes me sad (and kind of angry) that someone can just "throw away" a member of their family like that. But, maybe they don't think of their animals that way.
    What kind of people are these? Oh wait - I remember what kind of people these are. I am praying for Karma to bite them.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I'm w/you Gabriel! Maybe a nip or ten in the butt for them!!

A belated but heartfelt Happy Bday to Rosie-many more!!

Lil Bit,

I'm sorry to hear that, but the ex / family don't sound like the nicest people to me based on what we've heard.

I've heard so many stories like this about people giving up animals through the years. I've never understood why people behave like this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

Thank you all for the kind wishes for Rosie. She is in very good health for an "old lady". She had some chicken and dumplings for a birthday treat and then retired to our bed to sleep it off.

And thank you all for the warnings about country living. Some we are aware of, some we are not. Now that we've been here a month, the dogs are over going into the woods. Apparantly they are not nearly as exciting as they were at first. They are content to run around the HUGE cleared yard we have. And to chase the rabbit that has a den under the deck. They remind me of Elmer Fudd: chasing wabbits.
    Rabbit is going to win every time as the dogs are:
    1. not fast enough
    2. never seem to be looking in the right place and get caught off guard when it dashes.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

inthegarden, that story made my day. Bless you for all you did for that particular kitty, and bless your vet taking him on as an "office" cat.

Lil bit, no wonder your sons ex acts the way she does. Sounds like she wurn't brung up right, t'all. (She wasn't brought up right at all.)

inthegarden - I don't know how I missed your post. What a wonderful ending for a story.

+ Reply to Thread