+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1420Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;3791276;
    Crit, the hearing thing occurred to me when it first started too. Based on the way he still comes running every time I use the can opener, though, I'm pretty sure his hearing is fine when he wants it to be.
    Reminds me of my grandaunt's old, deaf and blind poodle. They used to call him to eat by stomping on the floor!
    Poor little guy had breath like an open sewer.
    I always joke that my little girl has breath like hot garbage.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;3791276;
    They also cleaned his teeth--first time EVER--and oh my God did it help his breath. Poor little guy had breath like an open sewer.
    Fortunately for me- Joey gets his teeth scraped and cleaned at each visit. (every 6 months) He also had some treats that control tartar a bit.

Henry and I have been in hibernation for awhile, but I'm glad to see that everyone and their pets seem to be getting along well. I've also enjoyed the pictures and stories

Henry enjoyed the holidays (cheese, presents and MY new electric blanket) but he has certainly been less than thrilled with the frigid weather. He was also hauled off to get his nails trimmed and informed by the groomer that he had "evil breath"! Much to Henry's dismay, Mr. Doxie purchased "Fresh Breath Spray" for him at PetCo. I thought THAT was hilarious until I witnessed Mr. Doxie trying to spray that stuff in Henry's mouth. It's become a nightly event to see which one of them can outsmart the other one. I think Henry is winning so far! The spray does seem to help though.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Doxie, we need evil breath spray here.

Lil Bit, I find the Iguana video hilarious myself. What's even funnier is the guy that picked up a bunch of them, put then in his car and while he was driving they warmed up and WOKE UP, in his back seat. Those things can have some claws on them. I would not have wanted to be that guy with a bunch of thawed out Iguanas in my car.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We had some excitement last night. Around 10 o'clock the doorbell rang and our neighbour was standing there holding a puppy. He found it wandering in the street and thought it was ours (we have 2 similar dogs--one is still a puppy) but both of ours were accounted for (getting ready for bed with me!). The neighbour couldn't take care of it due to his cats, so we took her in. She was the tiniest shih-tzu puppy I've ever seen! She was so quiet and timid and looked like she had been on her own for at least a few days. Her ears were matted, she was shivering constantly and straggly and dirty and soooooo thin (I could easily feel her ribs and backbone...I was near tears!). I was so glad we've had unseasonably warm weather the past few days...don't think she would have survived in the -20 C that is normal for this time of year.

We got her to eat a little bit and I posted on Facebook that we had a lost puppy with no collar. Our puppy (who isn't neutered yet) was SO excited to have a female in the house. But the little girl had attitude with a capital A! She could look after herself no problem. After an hour of coaxing her to eat and calm down a bit, we tried settling everyone into bed. I had the stray in the bedroom with me, trying to figure out if she would sleep in our dogs' carrier when I heard someone in the alley calling out, obviously looking for a dog (again luckily it was warm outside--my bedroom window was open). The voice got clearer and the puppy went insane, instantly recognizing her mommy! She raced out to the living room and I called out the window to the lady that we had her puppy. My hubby met her outside and she tearfully thanked him for finding her dog. I was happy for the reunion, but she also claimed that the puppy only went missing that night and she was out searching for 45 minutes. We were both positive that the poor dog had been on her own for at least a day.........but hubby said there was no doubt that the dog was happy to be back with her owner. I'll be keeping an eye out for her on our evening walks....hopefully we'll see the little girl again. She was so sweet and adorable!
    Don't let the small things sweat

Thank goodness for great news!

Spoose I know you were relieved to find the puppy's owner. By your description of her condition, she sounds as if she was either lost longer than her owner said or they may not know how to take care of her. Especially, if they are new pet owners or new owners to a different breed than they are used to. I agree with you, I would keep an eye out for her too. If you get the chance, you might even be able to make some friendly and helpful suggestions to her owner... How's _____? My shih-tzu ears get so matted, does yours? We found this great brush/groomer... What food does your puppy like? It took us forever to find a food that ____ would eat...
    She was lucky that she came to such a loving home and you will probably see her again. Animals don't forget people that show them love.

Great idea, inthegarden. I was wondering how I would even approach them if I did happen to see them in my travels. The puppy's name was Casey (we nicknamed her Precious for the 2 hours she was with us) so I hope I don't forget it before I see her again!
    Don't let the small things sweat

It snowed 6" yesterday and last night. That's alot of snow for us. The dogs are having ball in the snow, running, jumping and eating the snow.
    Buddy one of the shop cats thought he wanted to go out, so I let him out. I was by the creek taking pictures and heard this sad meoooowww and looked up in one of the trees and Buddy was sitting on a branch. I walked over to the tree and he stepped off the branch onto my shoulder. I put him on the ground and he looked up at me and then raced back up the tree and climbed back on my shoulder. Duh! I got the clue, he was wanting to be carried back to the shop. I took him back to the shop, where he jumped up in his chair and licked off. I don't think he will be asking to go out again until this snow melts. Poor fellow.

MRD

Bogie has been having a blast in the snow and is depressed when he has to come inside.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread