+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1319Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Hi guys!
    This isn't really an animal loving post.... more like a disgusted by an animal and need some input post!

I'm visiting my folks for a few weeks. They have a cat who uses the entire house as his litterbox. Let's not get into the whole, "why on Earth would you keep a cat that whizzes all over your house" thing. Been there. Done that.

Anyway, as you can imagine, this place does not smell like potpourri. Does anyone know of a product that removes pet odor from carpet? He sticks to the perimeter of rooms, so it can't be something that is used in a steam-cleaner. My mother is having a bunch of friends over next week and I know this is smething that really bothers her. I'd love to be able to find a product for her that eliminates this odor and the stress of worrying about what company will think. I know that she has tried a multitude of products, including Nature's Miracle (it wasn't).

I know she would be really grateful if anyone can help!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Oh Man, Critical. Cat urine is the worst.

I'm not sure about getting the actual smell out of the carpet, but cats HATE anything orange scented. I mean *real* orange. I've read about cats not being able to tolerate the smell, and I know when I have an orange my cats won't get any where near me.

I'm just thinking if you 'squeezed' some orange along the perimeter of the room ALONG with some baking soda, it may help absorb some of the stench, and possibly deter that little brat from doing his bizness where he shouldn't.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    Oh Man, Critical. Cat urine is the worst.
    It is seriously gross, Jewels. This cat has no shame either - he actually walked into a room where my mother was sitting and whizzed on some books in a bookcase! He'll let fly right in front of people - not like some cats who have the decency to at least be ashamed!

I don't know what would work. She has tried one of the major carpet cleaners and it left a greasy residue on the carpet that attracts dirt like crazy. So now the carpet smells bad and looks filthy. No sense getting new carpet until the thing dies though.

I tell my mother regularly that she had better outlive that cat! I'm sure that when he finally does die, my folks will hit the carpet store on the way home from the vet's office!

Just in case anyone thinks I'm being mean - I love cats. I have two. I actually love this cat as well, but since he has destroyed my parents' house, I feel a little less loving towards him.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Speedy - kitty valium had absolutely no effect on my 12-year-old cat when we moved (10-hour car ride). She cried the whole way. On the bright side, our new six-month-old kitten slept peacefully the entire drive home from my SIL's farm (8 1/2 hours). In other words, I have little useful advice. Keep 'em in carriers and at a comfortable temperature. That's all I got.

Critical - has your mom talked to the vet about her cat's problem? It's definitely not a UTI?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Anyway, as you can imagine, this place does not smell like potpourri. Does anyone know of a product that removes pet odor from carpet?
    I remember trying something from a pet store called Sour Apple and used it on a mattress that my cat urinated on one day a few years ago. I remember it working well, and I believe it is also a deterrent from repeating the behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Critical - has your mom talked to the vet about her cat's problem? It's definitely not a UTI?
    Unfortunately, it's not anything medical... He's been doing this for almost ten years. Sometime he uses the box and sometimes he doesn't and we can't figure out why.

Thanks for the suggestion, muggle! I'll look for it when I'm at PetCo/PetLand

Critical, kind of being a somewhat cat expert (family has them since I was born, and most of our cats live to 23 yrs old and 1 lived for 28 years) the best product for killing urine odor on anything is a great product call natures miracle available almost all pet stores etc. go to google and type in nature's miracle you'll see... I've used it.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Glitter, your story about the abandoned "unadoptable" cat is so sad.

Speed, I don't know how kitty valium works, but DO make sure your AC works -- I had a friend who moved, with his cat, from Virginia to Minnesota and the AC was out in his moving van. The cat was very unhappy and he said it was pure hell.

I don't have any advice for Critical either, but the notion of putting a scent the cat hates in those areas reminds me of what my roommate and I had to do in college. We had a cockatiel who was allowed to roam and loved to sit on top of his cage. But he started pecking at the paint on the wall beside it. We didn't have anywhere else to put the cage, but we knew he LOATHED pickles. (don't ask). So I got a twist-tie and tied a pickle to that corner of the top of his cage. He was furious. He spent hours trying to kick it off.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Good luck with the cat adoption, I just got one of our adoptes out yesterday to a good home. so nice to see people open their homes to pets who need it till they get a good home to go to.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Dittoing Gabriel. I have a dog, but Nature's Miracle ROCKS. I got mine in Pet Nutrition (a local pet store), however, they did have a sign that the original formula was being marketed as something else, yadda yadda, so I guess they're saying to make sure you get the true Nature's Miracle. Found a brief thing about it here: http://www.leisure-time.com/nat.htm

Seems they make Nature's Miracle for dogs and cats separately. I can only attest to the dog use, but it was great when Abbie was a pup and had lots of accidents.

Here's a place that has the cat one with the new name
    http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/produc...ept_id=214&r=1

Good luck!!
    Last edited by marybethp; 07-25-2005 at 09:33 PM. Reason: adding link

+ Reply to Thread