+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

The little tiny lizards that Rosie used to chase didn't bother me. They are like 6-7 inches long. a 2 foot Iguana? EWWWW
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I guess there must be something wrong with me, deep down inside. I've seen the footage of that Iguana falling out of that tree on several news shows, and it never fails to make me laugh. (maybe I shouldn't admit that on the animal lovers thread, huh?!?)
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I have a question for those of you with older cats: have you had any problems with LOUD sing-songy yowling noises? My boy cat, who will be 15 this year, is slowly driving me insane. Don't get me wrong, I love the little loudmouth with all my heart and he could be in my face yelling all day every day and I'd deal, but man - he will NOT shut up.

Physically he is fine. I took him to the vet just last week (not because of the noise), and his bloodwork is perfect. No hyperthyroidism, no kidney disease, no diabetes. He even had an ultrasound to rule out some other stuff, and he's about as healthy as a 15 year old cat can be. I doubt it's an emotional issue, since he gets a ton of attention and love. He's in no way neglected. He's just...loud. And getting louder. In the middle of the night. Every. Freaking. Night. The vet didn't offer any insight.

Is this common? The two cats I have now are the first pets I've ever had, so I don't have much experience with elderly pet issues.

Amanda,

I don't know what breed your cat is. That sometimes plays a part in how vocal they are. My last 2 cats were both quite vocal; esp. the Siamese, but that seems to be part of the breed. And, both cats didn't seem to change over the years in terms of how vocal they were.
    My current cat is a domestic shorthair and he's 14 1/2. He usually just gets vocal when he wants his meals.
    You are very lucky that you have a 15 yo with none of the usual problems they have at that age. Sounds like he/she may just be happy to be as old as he/she is and is thanking you for taking such good care of him/her.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Mine is a domestic shorthair too. I also have a Siamese, and though she's a talker, it's different. She'll talk TO you, but doesn't yowl to an empty room. The boy will be cuddled up to me, happy as can be, then get up, leave the room, and start yowling. It's odd.

I've looked this up online, and most people had something similar happen before a hyperthyroidism diagnosis. I almost wish that was it - the Siamese has hyperthyroidism and we've been able to treat it effectively. But with him, it's just this new thing that has ramped up over the last several months and if he's healthy (which I'm SO thankful about, I should make that clear ) I guess it's just going to go on like this for the duration. Bah.

Amanda, I used to have a cat that would yowl several times to announce that he was going to his litter box.
    Have you changed anything at all?
    Was he checked for urinary tract infection?
    Could he be telling you that something is wrong with your other cat?

I was going to say what about urinary tract myself. Got to keep that urine acidic to keep those crystals from forming. At least I do for Joey. otherwise maybe he is just going deaf? or just likes talking more. My folks Max is going to be 14 and has always been a talker, but since Missy the hound has been gone for about 2 years now, Max just won't shut up. he even follows my folks around sometimes. Could something be wrong with the other one?

Could he be losing his hearing or getting a little senile, Amanda? My mother had a cat who we swore had kitty Alzheimer's and he would wander the house yowling. Maybe he's louder because he can't hear himself

Glad to hear he got a clean bill of health.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

A friend of mine had a 21 year old cat who other than some breathing issues which were treated with steroids, was doing fine. They ended up putting her on some kitty prozac to even her out because she would do that all day every day for no reason. The neighbors were trying to get the homeowner's assoc. to get her to move because of it. The cat was good after a few weeks and lived another year yowl free.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Crit, the hearing thing occurred to me when it first started too. Based on the way he still comes running every time I use the can opener, though, I'm pretty sure his hearing is fine when he wants it to be. The senility is a possibility. He has a follow-up appointment soon; I'll ask them if there are any non-invasive neurological tests they can do. The issue isn't bad enough that I'd want them to do a whole series of tests unless they thought it was medically necessary. They kind of shrugged the whole thing off, so I don't think it's at that point. The prozac is an interesting idea, I'll bring that up too.

I should have mentioned that they tested his urine and it was all clear. They also cleaned his teeth--first time EVER--and oh my God did it help his breath. Poor little guy had breath like an open sewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Glad to hear he got a clean bill of health.
    Thank you.

ETA: OH! The "could he be alerting me to a problem with the other cat" thing. Well, I don't know. There IS stuff wrong with the other cat, things she's being treated for. Hyperthyroidism, kidney failure. Old cat diseases. The yowling didn't seem to coincide with her diagnoses, and beyond that...they kind of ignore each other. They used to be best friends, I got them at the same time. Now I think they're just old and tired of each other. So I don't know if he gives enough of a damn about her to bother alerting me.
    Last edited by Amanda; 01-09-2010 at 09:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread