+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Colo, the 1st gorilla born in captivity and currently the oldest gorilla living in a zoo celebrated her 53rd birthday here at the Columbus Zoo.

Zoo To Celebrate Colo's 53rd Birthday | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

POWELL, Ohio The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium will hold a celebration Tuesday in honor of Colo, the western gorilla who is turning 53 years old.

Guests will be able to attend a birthday celebration from 1-3 p.m. in the African Forest section of the zoo.

The zoo said Colo will get a birthday cake and other gifts at about 1:15 p.m.

SLIDESHOW: Images Of Colo

Colo, who was born at the zoo on Dec. 22, 1956, was the world's first gorilla born in captivity.

She is currently the oldest gorilla living in a zoo.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for additional information.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3775127;
    Does too much cheese do to dogs what it does to people? I had a co-worker bring me a package of cheddar cheese cubes one day....I was having a serious craving....and was totally miserable later, to say the least! I knew it was going to have that effect, but I just HAD TO HAVE IT!!
    That's typically why fruit gets served with cheese.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just had to share this.

Widget share

Merry Christmas from our hound to yours!

Here are a few shots of Henry in his Santa Suit which has now been handed over to MRD's Rosie. I hear that it fits Rosie much better than it did Henry!

The last picture is of Henry in his Snuggie with MRD and me. Henry had his eyes on the prize () and was not very cooperative for the camera! Henry had SO much fun at our party and he really loved meeting MRD and QueenB.

Best wishes to all of you and your furry ones for a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2010.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Miss Kitty's Adventure

In October 2008 a pretty little tortie and white stray cat made the rounds in my neighborhood searching for a home. I had been considering getting another cat after the death of my elderly cat in the summer, but just hadn't actually DONE anything about it yet. So, I opened the door and politely invited her in. She graciously accepted the invitation and went immediately to the kitchen. After she was served a proper meal and some water she promptly curled up and went to sleep.

I tried to find her owner but was unable to find them, so after a couple months, we made a trip to the vets for shots, etc. and she became mine.

She has always been an in/out cat. At first because I expected her to go home, later because she is a talented escape artist.

We've lived a fairly peaceful life together, except for the incident when she REALLY messed up my computer. (Did you know it is possible to turn the writing on the screen completely upside down?)

Then came Friday, December 18, 2009. The morning was fairly mild for December when Miss Kitty ventured outside. But, to the south of us a giant snow storm was headed our way, due to arrive a little after midnight.

Around 4:30 PM I called her to come in. She didn't come. I continued to call her every few minutes until late that night. She never stays out all night, so why THIS night of all nights? I called until late and finally fell asleep. I awoke at 4:30 to a snow white world. There was already several inches in the ground and it was snowing hard. I went to the door. No Miss Kitty huddled on the porch, no paw tracks in the snow.

It snowed hard all day and into Sunday, when it finally stopped. It was Monday before I could dig my car out from under 22 inches of snow and I immediately went searching for Miss Kitty. I searched, called and hung LOST CAT posters. The week dragged on. It was hard to be cheerful on Christmas when I was grieving the loss of Miss Kitty. I did hold out some hope knowing that she is not shy about asking for help and going into people's houses.

Friday (a week after I had last seen her) the temps warmed up and it started to rain. Saturday it was warmer still and it rained hard all day. I continued to search and to call her. Nothing.

Sunday morning (this morning) I awoke to bright sunlight and no sign of snow on the ground. The rain and warm temps had washed it all away. I ran to the front door. Surely she would be home. She wasn't. I continued to look and call her every few minutes, but by 10 AM I had pretty much given up. Miss kitty either had not made it through the storm, or, she had decided to move to a new home.

At 10:20, as I was headed upstairs to get ready to go out, I checked the door again, this time with little hope. There she was! She looked fine! Obviously she had been warm and well fed. She was VERY displeased with me. I'm sure she thinks the snow and rain were all my fault!

I sure wish she could tell me where she had been. I'd like to thank whoever gave her shelter from the storm.

Aww, how cool is that!
    I have a mouse hanging out on my patio. The boys are keeping a close eye on him.

I guess being on guard duty makes you hungry.

Last edited by Unklescott; 12-27-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Unklescott -- I love it!

I have now caught 3 mice. I have 3 more traps set. All outdoors where they need to stay,

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

: mice Have to stay outside! Your boys are so handsome - I love seeing photos of them!

A mouse would be very foolish to come into your house, with those two on duty.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread