+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1136Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3734587;
    Why does my Maine Coon gurl have the sneezies when nobody else in the house is sick? They don't go outside, they don't associate with other kitties...otherwise, she acts normal. Nothing unusual has been introduced into her environment to elicit allergies. We're heading to her doc on Sunday. I'm one of those moms that just can't let it go.
    We also have a household of strictly indoor cats. They are almost never sick - except for one of them.

Cats can have a thing called Herpes - that I wish was called SOMETHING ELSE - because it's not like human herpes. It's not a sexually transmitted gross disease. It's a respiratory condition that can be recurring in an animal that has it. It has various forms.

Our 3-legger, Tiki, has it. She had bad sniffles, constantly gummy eyes, and slept a lot. We finally got her to the vet and she was diagnosed with this. A run of antibiotics and she's been fine ever since.

However, she has been having some returning signs, starting with congestion. Time for another vet visit soon and more antibiotics.

This may be a strong possibility with your Maine Coon.

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3734480;
    The servant must have been late with Sir Joseph's breakfast.
    My masters had these servents trained so well, that even over a month later we are trying to stay on time and hop to with even the slightest noise from outside.
    They were well worth it and how we miss it.

Kitty Mimzy had Herpes and often had to have eyedrops that were expensive - over a hundred dollors for a two week coarse. But it does seem to have re-mission. Catch it at first sign does better.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3734480;
    The servant must have been late with Sir Joseph's breakfast.
    this is great!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3734747;
    We also have a household of strictly indoor cats. They are almost never sick - except for one of them.

Cats can have a thing called Herpes - that I wish was called SOMETHING ELSE - because it's not like human herpes. It's not a sexually transmitted gross disease. It's a respiratory condition that can be recurring in an animal that has it. It has various forms.

Our 3-legger, Tiki, has it. She had bad sniffles, constantly gummy eyes, and slept a lot. We finally got her to the vet and she was diagnosed with this. A run of antibiotics and she's been fine ever since.

However, she has been having some returning signs, starting with congestion. Time for another vet visit soon and more antibiotics.

This may be a strong possibility with your Maine Coon.
    BooBoo has this; it mostly affects her eyes when it flares up. I do have drops, and they clear it up in a few days. But the best thing I have found is putting 250 mg of L-Lysine powder in a little damp food twice a day. (Viralys brand is the one she eats without fussing) It's cut down on the flareups by probably 75%. I was skeptical at first, but it does seem to work.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have notices that there are no eye issues and, after washing my bedspread, the sneezes seem to have lessened, significantly. The vet visit may be on hold.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3734995;
    BooBoo has this; it mostly affects her eyes when it flares up. I do have drops, and they clear it up in a few days. But the best thing I have found is putting 250 mg of L-Lysine powder in a little damp food twice a day. (Viralys brand is the one she eats without fussing) It's cut down on the flareups by probably 75%. I was skeptical at first, but it does seem to work.
    I've notice that one of the barn cats has this. Where can I find this product? I noticed her eye was gummy this spring and gave her allergy meds and that seemed to help, but I noticed when I feed them this morning her eye was getting gummy again . Thanks qb. How are your kitties? Any new pics?

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3737587;
    Where can I find [L-Lysine]
    I am looking at a bottle of 250 500mg tablets I bought from Wal-Mart for $4.95.

I crushed it and blended it into soft, mushy cat food to give it to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3737587;
    I've notice that one of the barn cats has this. Where can I find this product? I noticed her eye was gummy this spring and gave her allergy meds and that seemed to help, but I noticed when I feed them this morning her eye was getting gummy again . Thanks qb. How are your kitties? Any new pics?
    I order it from healthypets.com It's about $10 for what looks like about 3/4 cup of stuff, which lasts a long time; the dose scoop is tiny.
    I did try crushing the drugstore tablets for people, but miss picky BooBoo won't eat it.
    It takes a few days for it to be effective, but as long as you give it every day as directed, the eye problem only happens rarely; without it BooBoo's eyes were getting messed up almost every week for a few days, requiring drops, etc.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Do the cats have to contract this from another cat?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It's a virus, and viruses are weird; if you touched or walked anywhere an infected cat had been, you could bring it in, I bet. The herpes can be dormant for a really long time as well, but they never really get rid of it. Thats why I go ahead and give BooBoo the lysine every day.

+ Reply to Thread