+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    What I want to know is why they love to stick their heads out the window, but they hate it when you blow in their faces.
    But that's the secret on how you get dogs to take pills. You put it in their mouths as far back on their tongue as possible, hold their mouths shut real quick and blow in their face. Their natural reaction is to then swallow. Works most of the time, at least for me it has.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    Marley . Sort of goes along with why is a driveway where you park, and a parkway where you drive?
    Exactly.

Sweetdreams, I too am still thinking of you and your baby.
    Same here Sweetdreams. Keep us posted.

Well, a few fireworks (which are outlawed here) began popping off tonight already, and my poor terrier ended up in the faaaaaar corner of our closet quivering. Had I realized they would begin two days before 7/04, I would have tranquilized her. I'll begin tomorrow night. My lab mix is scared to death of everything BUT fireworks.
    Here they start selling fireworks a week before the 4th. I can hardly get Dolly (Silky Terrier) to go outside and Katie (Golden Retriever) threw up for 2 days. I think I mentioned that in the Pet Peeves thread.. I hate fireworks. Next year I've got to remember in time to get them some meds.

We had a big fireworks show here last night (there is a soccer game in the same stadium on the 4th. Plus this is Utah and we are just plain weird when it comes to celebrating holidays) My cat, who is afraid of everything including his own shadow, didn't have a problem with all the booming going on. I was surprised.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I just gotta share:

I wish I had a good camera this weekend, as it's been beautiful - and the wildlife has been amazing. I went walking through the park Friday night and I turned to our body of water. I almost jumped back. There was this bird standing not a foor from me, and it went past (or close to) my waste. IT was a beautiful steel blue in color. It looked at me as if to say "Yup, I'm really this big - and really this beautiful" and then flew away. I talked to a ranger later who said it was a certain type of blue heron (i think black crested?) and that it had been first seen with a fish hook stuck in its mouth, but it wasn't there when I saw it! I then ran into the happiest, healthiest, non-shaky non-barky cutest chi I have ever seen. Very cute tiny dog, until it decided my legs were the bomb and I had to boot it off.

So I went back on saturday, and I saw a bunch of ducklings and a long legged white bird, wither an egret or ibis. beautiful bird.

So today I go to read my paper by the water, and I see a bunch of geese and the ducks are resting in the shadow cast by these huge canadian geese. I walk closer, and there is the cutest gosling walking all awkward around the little island in the water. It was natural overload, very beautiful! And the fireflies and butterflies have been out in full force too, with the cooler weather - it's been great.

We adopted a new kitten this weekend (adorable male tabby, about six months old - I must post a picture soon) - and my older cat is pissed. I didn't expect her to be estatic about a newcomer, not at first anyway, but I'm horrified at how mean she's being to the kitten. I bought a seperate litter box for the kitten, and the older one has already used it - I suppose to show the kitten (and me) who's boss. I gave her some of the kitten's canned food (my older cat usually only eats dry food) and she ate it and then puked it up. She creeps up to the kitten and hisses and spits. She had the nerve to hiss at me and try to bite when I held her back from attacking the kitten in his litter box. Someone please tell me this will get better. My older cat has lived with dogs before and eventually grew to tolerate them...I thought a new cat, especially a smaller male, would be easy compared to a big dog.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

It *should* get better, AJane. Just give it a few days. I heard you also should keep the new cat in a separate part of the house for a day or two, then switch the cats to the others' areas, so they can get used to each other's smell.

More than a year ago, my mother got a new (adult) cat to keep our elderly cat company (the other elderly cat had died). Our old cat NEVER got used to the new one. But she was very old, ill, and had a generally pissy disposition from birth anyway. After she passed away, we got a kitten, and she and the other cat (now moved up to "old cat" status) got on just fine after a few days. So keep at it, they'll have to find a way to live together eventually.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

It generally takes a cat about 30 days to adjust to a new comer. Lucys Idea of switching cats in one part of the house with another is good. It generally works better though if you let the reigning cat have free run as usual and put the other one in a room for a few days let them smell each other through the door, but I and I know some people who wouldn't do that unless the newcomer was in danger or vice versa, generally they will stay apart until they adjust. When I adopted joey 9 yrs ago, Mona sat on a favorite perch of hers and growled (yes growled) for about 3 weeks almost non stop. (she ended up with laryngitis)
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I've had a longstanding cat of maybe 12 years. I got another one maybe 4 years ago. They hate each other, but after this long, they have mostly learned to avoid each other. The newer cat is very pushy and possessive. I've had cats that got along fine with some new arrivals, but not others. I would say it depends on the individual personality of each cat, but they will probably learn, in time, to at least tolerate each other.
    Another cat related problem...A workmate of my wife had to get rid of her cat. This, as you all know, is a tough problem. Its hard to find someone to take an established cat. Finally I convinced the powers that be at my place of employment that we should have a work cat (I work at a pretty casual artsy shop with warehouses attached.) Well, the cat came. She was absolutely mortified by the trip and horrified by the new surroundings. We had all of her accoutrements set up in a cosy upstairs room in one of the warehouses. To make a long story short, the cat has had a hard time adjusting to her new home and has taken to hiding somewhere in the warehouse. Its a big place, and we're not having luck coaxing her out. We did not find her all day today. Anyone know a sure fire way to find a small cat that doesn't want to be found in a huge warehouse??

I'd say, set out food and water and make soothing noises regularly. She'll come around and then you can start getting to know her properly. Maybe keep her more contained once you find her. Is the original owner still around? Maybe she could come and call the cat.
    Count your blessings!

Well, I had to think like a cat, so I figured out a good cat hiding spot. Sure enough there she was in the space between the floor joists and the ceiling...Its a cosy little spot very close to her litterbox and food and water, which I can tell she visited during the night, so its not too bad. We will start a program of gently coaxing her out over the next few days...or weeks?

+ Reply to Thread