+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

Thank you everyone. I know that you all understand what I'm facing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimzy;3701344;
    Thank you everyone. I know that you all understand what I'm facing.
    I am so sorry for you and your loss of your beloved pets. We lost our Tiny cat in January and miss her every day. I am thinking of you and hope that you are finding some bright spots each day despite the loss of two of your special critters. We planted a special flowering plant to honor our cat. I am looking forward to it blooming next spring! A little floral therapy can't hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3701384;
    We planted a special flowering plant to honor our cat. I am looking forward to it blooming next spring! A little floral therapy can't hurt
    I agree Our vet gave us a package of wildflower seeds when we got Simon's cremains back. We plan to plant the seeds next spring in honor/memory of him.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I hope that this doesn't come off wrong. I don't think friends shoud ask friends (unless they are vets, or even vet techs) to take care of a pet with medical issues while they are on vacation. Just seems like so much can happen that could jeopardize the friendship and, if it does, the guilt of the caretaker is just huge. I would think that you'd give the caretaker 'carte blanc' to go to the vet while you are gone. I'm not criticizing; just observing.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs;3700953;
    Well I am coming in here looking for some expert advice.

I am house sitting for a friend while they are on a cruise. One of the dogs had some issues with her tail and has a cone on her head and something that is covering her tail. Sadly she has gotten the cone off 3 times in the last 12 mins and has found out how to eat her tail even with the cone on. Any advice of what I can do?
    I agree with prhoshay, they should have left their pet in the care of their vet. However, since you do have the dog, I'd call their vet and ask for guidance and perhaps even ask if you can bring the dog in to make sure the cone is on right. You may also want to try Bitter Apple spray. Since the tail is wrapped it won't sting the sore and could deter the dog from chewing. Good luck, I know you're in an awkward position.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs;3701028;
    They left the vets number and I will eventually try that when I get the okay later on today

. My friend told me to take her to the vet if she eats/licks through the protection on the tail. The problem is, at this rate, I would be doing that multiple times a day and I am sure my friend can't afford that.

Right now I am watching her like a hawk and will see what he and his friends say later on today. I really appreciate your advice.
    Depends on the type of cone I'm sure but in Jaxi's case, she needed a bigger one (longer distance from neck to end of cone) so that she couldn't get past it to get to her paw. If he is getting "out" of it, is it the type that snaps on or is the the tie with a string kind?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

"Crabby McCrabtree" (aka Miss Chloe) was growling and jumping at everyone in the house, except me. A tiny bit later, I discovered that I had forgotten to fill the food dish last night. Bad Mommy!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3701530;
    I hope that this doesn't come off wrong. I don't think friends shoud ask friends (unless they are vets, or even vet techs) to take care of a pet with medical issues while they are on vacation. Just seems like so much can happen that could jeopardize the friendship and, if it does, the guilt of the caretaker is just huge. I would think that you'd give the caretaker 'carte blanc' to go to the vet while you are gone. I'm not criticizing; just observing.
    I have watched his dogs before when all three of them were in cones and onw of them was having chemo. So I don't think this will have any impact on our friendship. Though I totally understand the logic in your comments.

However, this is a new dog and she wasn't use to me yet. Now she is. Everything is fine now that she has gotten use to me and more covering was put on the tail. She has become a little angel.

Thanks to everyone for all their help and opinions.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;3701607;
    Depends on the type of cone I'm sure but in Jaxi's case, she needed a bigger one (longer distance from neck to end of cone) so that she couldn't get past it to get to her paw. If he is getting "out" of it, is it the type that snaps on or is the the tie with a string kind?
    The cone has string at the collar and snaps going up the side, so it is a combination of both. She hasn't gotten out of in since I posted though.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

JLuvs,
    I am so glad it's working out.
    I think it is so much more preferable to leave a dog / cat with a friend than board them at the Vet, though I know that isn't always possible.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread