+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3678444;
    What did we tell you? I can't remember past yesterday. If you can't either that is ok too.
    Well once you convert to Waldoism, you won't have that problem. There is no yesterday, there is no tomorrow. There is ONLY today, so live in the moment and be happy.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Well, I know I'm definitely converting to Waldoism.

The advice (what I remember anyway) was to get another litter box, in a separate room and to clean and scoop often. There was more too, but I don't remember. She says that since she's been more diligent on cleaning the litter box, the kitty has been so cuddly and loving. Before she was kind of distant but now she will jump up in her lap and purr and snuggle, so I guess she appreciates getting a cleaner potty.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I didn't want to post this until it was resolved . . . fortunately, it has a happy ending.

Gustav scared the living hell out of me last week. He had been having trouble on steps (five steps, each with a 6" rise, so pretty tame) for the last couple of weeks, but I thought that it was a confidence issue--Josey is a hard-charging girl, and will knock into anyone in her way. He'd stand at the bottom of the steps and very tentatively put his front feet on the first step. With LOTS of coaxing, he'd eventually make it up. He was going up them OK again early last week, but Thursday night, completely collapsed part way up. He just laid there draped over the steps whining. I had to lift his big butt up and more or less push him into the house (his front feet had made it over the threshold before he fell).

The next morning, he seemed better, and able to get up from laying down without too much trouble. I knocked together a ramp for the steps, and put a carpet runner up the middle so that he'd have some traction. He did NOT like it, and had to be semi-forced up it the first couple of times. On his last potty walk of the night, he went down the ramp OK, but on the very reluctant way back up, one of his hind legs got off the carpet and he lost traction. He went down HARD. We had to push him up the ramp, and when he was on the porch, he just dragged himself with his front legs.

At this point, I was devestated. I couldn't let him live like that, and I sure as hell wasn't looking forward to a funeral.

Saturday morning, he didn't want to get up, let alone go down the ramp. I made an appointment with the vet. At first they wanted to schedule us on Wednesday (TOO LONG TO WAIT!) but eventually found an opening on Monday afternoon. In the mean time, I bought a bigger area rug to cover the ramp (no bare wood on which to slip.) When I got home from that expedition, Gustav was desperate to go potty, so he got up (with very little difficulty, much to my relief) and found the courage to go down the ramp. With LOTS of coaxing, some pushing, some tugging, and a few threats, he made it back up the ramp. Sunday was better, although the ramp still scared him.

Monday was Vet day. Getting him in and out of the van was easier than I expected. The Vet articulated his joints, which seemed OK, and did a couple of pain tests. She thought that maybe he had bad communication along his spine, so we did x-rays. It took four of us to lift him, and he was in no mood to cooperate. X-rays of his spine, knees, and hips showed minor arthritis along 3 vertebrae and minor displasia in one hip. He is now on joint supplements and an anti-inflammatory. So far, not too bad. He's also getting to where he will go up and down the ramp without protest. It looks like he'll be OK

Side note on x-rays--they are now digital, and it is pretty darn cool to see the image as it comes up on the screen. On one of the knee images, one of the vet techs wondered out loud what something was that showed up on the x-ray. Two other techs looked at it and started laughing; I looked and laughed too. The first tech realized that it was a ghost of Gustav's *ahem* boy parts, and was properly embarrassed for not recognizing it for what it was.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Wow Newf, what a scarey weekend you had. I'm so glad Gustav is doing better. Give him a hug from me.

I spent the weekend camping with my family and someone camping a few spots away from us had two Newfoundlands. (can you imagine two of them in a small camper?!) They were gorgeous dogs and so gentle and friendly. They were both about a year old and he said they weighed about 160 pounds and still have a bit of growing to do. My daughter has now decided that she wants a Newfoundland. I don't know how her SO will react to that news though, considering they now have a Sheltie and two cats.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Pets are like children, they seem to always get sick on the weekend
    Glad to hear Gustav is feeling better.
    Mrd I like Waldoism.
    Add unconditional love and forgiveness to the list.

I'm glad to hear the old man is okay Newf.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3679136;
    Well, I know I'm definitely converting to Waldoism.

The advice (what I remember anyway) was to get another litter box, in a separate room and to clean and scoop often. There was more too, but I don't remember. She says that since she's been more diligent on cleaning the litter box, the kitty has been so cuddly and loving. Before she was kind of distant but now she will jump up in her lap and purr and snuggle, so I guess she appreciates getting a cleaner potty.

LilBit, Thanks.

Newf,
    Glad to hear all is well.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Newf, glad to hear you had a positive outcome!

I also believe in Waldoism!

Newfherder - Good to read that about Gustav. Pretty funny sidebar...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Newf: glad to hear your big boy is okay

+ Reply to Thread