+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1319Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

I would hate to think of drugging a cat, but could something over the past day or so just spooked him? If you've seen improvement with the box, is it possible it might need to be changed and cleaned more? If Joey's box doesn't get scooped as often as he poops and it doen't get changed and cleaned every other day, he makes sure I see him SQUATTING in the corner of the living room. (He does not actually go, but gives me this HINT.) When Mona was around , if the box was not to her liking she would just pee over the edge. I wouldn't be above having him checked either, and watch to see if he is straining to urinate or licking himself a lot THERE. If he is GET TO THE VET IMMEDIATELY. Joey had a urinary tract blockage years ago and for a day or so before it became totally blocked he was doing this and I did not pick up on it. If I had not picked up on it that Saturday he wouldn't be here today.

Hope this helps.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3675783;
    My cat, Monet, had urinated on the carpet a couple of times a few months ago. Immediately, I brought him into vet and all was good. I checked the Internet and, as nothing in the household had changed, I took the top off the litter box as he's a big boy and that seemed to help. Problem went away. Then, I saw this mornning, he'd had 2 "accidents" on carpet. Went and bought Feliway and sprayed it on the spots in question. I ran into a cat rescue lady at the pet store and she said I might want to see about Prozac for him.
    Has anybody here used Feliway and had success, or has anyone put their cat on Prozac? Monet has been pretty skittish since I adopted him 2 years ago. He hides whenever company comes and I'd never had that with my other cats, all of whom were sociable.
    I'm going to call Vet tomorrow, but I definitely think it's behavioral as the last time there was nothing physically wrong, either.
    Any suggestions from my fellow cat people?
    Many thanks
    My old cat Moo had behavioral peeing issues too... unfortunately that is why I had to give her away. Usually she would do it when she wasn't getting enough attention from me. There could be a chance Monet dosn't feel like he is getting enough attention and is 'retaliating'. The other possibility could be that he may have a urinary tract infection. Cats tend to pee outside of their box when they have those also. Unfortunately Moo's 'issues' were very bad. One day she decided to pee on my bed at 3 am while I was sleeping on it and that was after a full day of peeing on pillows and my couches repeatedly; so that is why I finally gave her away (the couches were 6 months old and my bed was only 2).

I hope you get everything figured out with Monet. From what you have shared in the past he sounds like a beautiful cat.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Thanks, Gabriel.
    I do agree about the thought of giving him the drug. I do know some who do give it to their animal, though, but I'd want it as a last resort.
    Since my last cat had CRF and passed from it, I do tend to bring Monet in a lot for his checkups and the last one was fine. That was just a short while ago.
    The litter box was not as well scooped yesterday as it usually is, so perhaps that was it. I don't know. He's just been acting more skittish than usual as of late.
    He just seems to sit and stare at me a lot.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3675829;
    Thanks, Gabriel.
    I do agree about the thought of giving him the drug. I do know some who do give it to their animal, though, but I'd want it as a last resort.
    Since my last cat had CRF and passed from it, I do tend to bring Monet in a lot for his checkups and the last one was fine. That was just a short while ago.
    The litter box was not as well scooped yesterday as it usually is, so perhaps that was it. I don't know. He's just been acting more skittish than usual as of late.
    He just seems to sit and stare at me a lot.
    Is his urine output normal in amount or not? You might just want to get him checked again to be safe. If he normally does not stare at you, something is up. Have you changed anything about yourself? new fragrances? Have you rearranged furniture? I am asking questions I know affected me over the years with Mona, Joey and another cat I had years ago. Changed litter brand?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by chitex3;3675500;
    Okay, need some help. I posted this on another board also. My beloved 15 year cocker spaniel greeted me this morning with the runs on my carpet. As I've been lucky this has never happened before, what can I use to get the stains and odors out? He will go to the vet, and I'm not mad in anyway, just want a good solution.

Thanks in advance!
    I hope he's feeling better real soon. I wish they could talk! On the other hand, its amazing how pet owners know exactly what their pet wants just by behaviour. Let us know about Sam.

FORT Fanatic

Thanks all, two more bouts of runs, but he's active (for him). Tomorrow is my first day back to school (I teach) but as soon as I get off we're going to vet. Been home all summer and nothing.......!
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3675876;
    Is his urine output normal in amount or not? You might just want to get him checked again to be safe. If he normally does not stare at you, something is up. Have you changed anything about yourself? new fragrances? Have you rearranged furniture? I am asking questions I know affected me over the years with Mona, Joey and another cat I had years ago. Changed litter brand?
    Thanks again, Gabriel.
    He seems more clingy in some ways, I guess, though I'm the only one he's ever really come to. So, I guess from that standpoint all is the same.
    Urine seems to be about the same and nothing at all in the house has been changed. No new perfumes or new litter, either.
    I am going to call the Vet tomorrow to be on the safe side, but I have this strong feeling that it's nothing physical.
    I'm hoping it just may be that the litter box was not as tidy as usual.
    When I was at the pet store, the cat rescue lady there - who also works at a Vet's office - told me that some woman brought her cat to the Vet this one time asking that he be PTS because he kept going outsde the box. The vet and the cat rescue lady told her about all the above sugggestions. She said no, nothing had been changed and so the Vet suggested the Prozac. The woman said, "Well, I am really busy and can't give that to a cat every day.!" The Vet told her he could not PTS a cat just for going outside the box. The woman said she could not keep him like that. So the cat rescue lady took him in and she told me that the cat lived on for another 7 years - he was 4 years old when the woman brought him in - and the rescue woman gave him Prozac ever night for the rest of his life. And, he never went outside the box again. I was so upset to hear that someone would consider PTS a cat just for doing that. It's too bad our cats can't talk to us and tell us what's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3675824;
    My old cat Moo had behavioral peeing issues too... unfortunately that is why I had to give her away. Usually she would do it when she wasn't getting enough attention from me. There could be a chance Monet dosn't feel like he is getting enough attention and is 'retaliating'. The other possibility could be that he may have a urinary tract infection. Cats tend to pee outside of their box when they have those also. Unfortunately Moo's 'issues' were very bad. One day she decided to pee on my bed at 3 am while I was sleeping on it and that was after a full day of peeing on pillows and my couches repeatedly; so that is why I finally gave her away (the couches were 6 months old and my bed was only 2).

I hope you get everything figured out with Monet. From what you have shared in the past he sounds like a beautiful cat.
    Cali,

Thanks so much.
    I had not seen this before.
    I'm sorry about the problem with Moo, but it looks like you gave her another lease on life and that was very kind.
    Fortunately, Monet's problems are not as much as Moo's.
    That must have been very difficult to deal with.
    Monet will be pleased to hear that he's a beautiful cat.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 08-23-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It's amazing how some cats don't care how dirty their litter boxes get, and others start carrying protest signs and acting up at the sight of 1 turd!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by chitex3;3675886;
    Thanks all, two more bouts of runs, but he's active (for him). Tomorrow is my first day back to school (I teach) but as soon as I get off we're going to vet. Been home all summer and nothing.......!
    Keep us posted on his Vet visit. I hope all goes well.

+ Reply to Thread