+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3669242;
    Wow! Hi Folks, I didn't realize this thread existed! I have a question I'm wondering if anyone can help. I have a two yr old Shih Tzu, Louie, the love of my life. He is my first dog. He is the fussiest eater ever! He never used to be that way, but lately he will go in eating spurts. He'll be in a routine where he eats in the morning and evening. Then, comes a period of time where he won't eat for a few days, then back to his routine. I've changed dog food, he'll be ok for awhile, then back to the non eating period.

I was away for two weeks, and during that time, he ate very little. We thought once I returned, he would be back to normal, but he's not, its been a week now. I have tried several different things, he likes shredded carrots, I would add some of that, or put a little puppy gravey in his bowl, or tiny pieces of cooked chicken, nothing works. He smells his dish, and walks off like "oh brother, that again"?

He is normal in every other way. Today I decided no more little dry biscuits. He usually gets one little bone biscuit when I take him out to potty. He looks forward to that, and has ever since he was a puppy. No more treats of anykind, eventually he'll have to get hungry and eat right? I hope I'm right.

I've had cats for several years now, but grew up being a dog owner.
    I'd go ahead and bring Louie into the vet. Could be kidneys - renal. Both cats and dogs hide their sickness. So, you don't know until it's advanced.
    I'd keep a close watch on how much water he is drinking. If it is a kidney problem, he will be drinking a whole lot.
    Whatever you do, try to get him to eat. Do not withhold food.
    Good Luck and please report back
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3669265;
    I've had cats for several years now, but grew up being a dog owner.
    I'd go ahead and bring Louie into the vet. Could be kidneys - renal. Both cats and dogs hide their sickness. So, you don't know until it's advanced.
    I'd keep a close watch on how much water he is drinking. If it is a kidney problem, he will be drinking a whole lot.
    Whatever you do, try to get him to eat. Do not withhold food.
    Good Luck and please report back
    Thanks so much for the advice. I spoke to his Vet back in May when I took him for his heartworm, and she felt that it was just because they are fussy and bored with the same food. At the time I lived with that answer because he would only go a couple of days, three days max, but this has been an awful long time. Thanks again, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3669273;
    Thanks so much for the advice. I spoke to his Vet back in May when I took him for his heartworm, and she felt that it was just because they are fussy and bored with the same food. At the time I lived with that answer because he would only go a couple of days, three days max, but this has been an awful long time. Thanks again, much appreciated!
    You're welcome.
    Because I've had so much exp. with this, it is usually the first thing I try to rule out, as it is prevalent in animals, esp. when they age. But, it is easily diagnosed.
    Take care and hugs to Louie.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

My little Shih Tzu did exactly the same thing GuardianAngel, and she had bladder stones, which the breed is prone to. I actually altered her food since the high salt content of a lot of the commercial brands was probably the cause. It took me a while to take her to the vet too because she would go on and off her food, but not consistently. That was when she was 6 yrs, and she is now 15 and going strong. I hope Louie is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3669301;
    My little Shih Tzu did exactly the same thing GuardianAngel, and she had bladder stones, which the breed is prone to. I actually altered her food since the high salt content of a lot of the commercial brands was probably the cause. It took me a while to take her to the vet too because she would go on and off her food, but not consistently. That was when she was 6 yrs, and she is now 15 and going strong. I hope Louie is okay.
    Geesh, thanks for sharing. I agree, the high salt content is horrible in human food, let alone pet food. It takes a lot of research to feel comfortable in what you are feeding your pets. There is so much crap out there, its so easy to fall in their traps.

Thanks again, canuckinchile.

I agree that you should take Louie (I love that name for a pet!) to the vet to make sure it's nothing medical that is making him lose his appetite.

My mutt Chico won't eat when I give him a rawhide chew. He's too afraid one of my other dogs will steal it if he eats regular food. I've had to resort to hand feeding him after a day or two. Eventually he finishes the rawhide and eats normally again.

OMG Unk! I laughed and laughed....made my day!
    Don't let the small things sweat

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Good Grief!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3670253;
    OMG! Is this for real? The "magic poop collector"???
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread