+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1140Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

I have a female Mastiff and just love her. That is one cute puppy. One of the first things I did was teach my Mastiff NOT to jump. Mastiffs can be very shy, so your friend needs to sign up for some puppy classes and socialize her well. They are very loyal companions, but the vet costs can be high due to their size. I hope your friend has previous experience owning other dogs as a misbehaved Mastiff is very different from a misbehaved toy dog. Neither is pleasant, but she is looking at owning a 175 lb. dog. They can be very stubborn, but I wouldn't own any other breed after having one. All she wants to do is be with me, and put her big 'ole head in my lap. There are a lot of good Mastiff owner sites on the net where all us Mastiff loonies can talk to each other

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3562911;
    Sorry for the double post. Here is a picture of the little sweetheart. Dosn't she just look so innocent?
    Mischevious is the word...

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3565302;
    I have a female Mastiff and just love her. That is one cute puppy. One of the first things I did was teach my Mastiff NOT to jump. Mastiffs can be very shy, so your friend needs to sign up for some puppy classes and socialize her well. They are very loyal companions, but the vet costs can be high due to their size. I hope your friend has previous experience owning other dogs as a misbehaved Mastiff is very different from a misbehaved toy dog. Neither is pleasant, but she is looking at owning a 175 lb. dog. They can be very stubborn, but I wouldn't own any other breed after having one. All she wants to do is be with me, and put her big 'ole head in my lap. There are a lot of good Mastiff owner sites on the net where all us Mastiff loonies can talk to each other
    Yeah, Chesney definately needs to do some obediance training! After I posted that we had barbecues and she was all over everyone trying to 'hug' and suck up for a bite. Needless to say she got put in the garage for the duration of dinner... Those big brown eyes are so hard to resist though! She has already managed to chew through the cable cord and a pair of gym shoes.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

In our newspaper today, The Tennessean, there is an article about a new cancer drug for dogs to treat mast cell tumors. A veterinarian in Memphis, Tn. Dr. Kathy Mitchener's Clinic, Mitchener's Angel Care Cancer Clinic was one of the national research sites for the clinical trials. The drug is called Palladia and released by Pfizer Animal Health. The drug has a 65 percent success rate in helping move the dogs into partial or full remission. It has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Adminstration and will be available only through veterinarians who specialize in oncology.
    Isn't that Great News! Too late for some of our pups, but hope for the future.

I'm back! The dog is happy, the cats are happy, the goldfish in the pond are happy, my Little Sister is happy to have earned some money. All good. The drive there and back was uneventful, but spectacularly beautiful (Vermont and the Adirondacks). Thanks to those who remembered to keep us in your prayers.
    Count your blessings!

Good to read all is ok Gutmutter. I was hoping all of us with thoughts and prayers were with you.!

This question is for the cat people here. My daughter has a dog and 2 cats. The dog and one cat she's had for a long time. The other cat is one that she just got. Someone had apparently dumped it and it was ratty and half starved when she took her in. The cat had already been declawed and spayed when she showed up at my daughters house so she must have had a family at one time. My daughter contacted animal control and put an ad in the paper but no one ever responded. The problem is the cat pees on her clothes and couch. She changes the litter box often and scoops more than once a day but she was still peeing all over. Now she has gotten another litter box hoping that will help if the kitty has her own potty. So far it hasn't seemed to. My daughter has gotten attached to the kitty and doesn't want to get rid of her but she also can't have her house and belongings smelling like cat urine. She asked my advice this morning and being a dog person, there wasn't much I could tell her to do besides what she's already doing. She's been trying to find another home for her, but when people hear of the problems they tend to not want her and my daughter won't give her to someone who she doesn't think will give her a good home. I'm wondering if she may do better in a home without any other pets?
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

first off if she just got the cat, sometimes it takes up to a month for a cat to become acclimated to a new place. This poor animal may be traumatized also. She should probably take it to the vet to determine there is no medical reason for the urinating problem and go from there. Is there a way this poor creature can be segregated with a see through gate so they can all see and hear each other but not get to each other but yet have the new one get used to the place? Sorry that is all I have, other than the NATURES MIRACLE thing to get rid of the odors for now. Nature's Miracle - Home

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3570664;
    This question is for the cat people here. My daughter has a dog and 2 cats. The dog and one cat she's had for a long time. The other cat is one that she just got. Someone had apparently dumped it and it was ratty and half starved when she took her in. The cat had already been declawed and spayed when she showed up at my daughters house so she must have had a family at one time. My daughter contacted animal control and put an ad in the paper but no one ever responded. The problem is the cat pees on her clothes and couch. She changes the litter box often and scoops more than once a day but she was still peeing all over. Now she has gotten another litter box hoping that will help if the kitty has her own potty. So far it hasn't seemed to. My daughter has gotten attached to the kitty and doesn't want to get rid of her but she also can't have her house and belongings smelling like cat urine. She asked my advice this morning and being a dog person, there wasn't much I could tell her to do besides what she's already doing. She's been trying to find another home for her, but when people hear of the problems they tend to not want her and my daughter won't give her to someone who she doesn't think will give her a good home. I'm wondering if she may do better in a home without any other pets?
    I had a cat exactly like that and I ended up having to get rid of it. Before I did I took Moo to the vet and they did a urine test on her to see if the peeing on everything was due to a bladder infection. That would be the first step I would suggest to take. Sometimes that could be why. If not then the vet has a special spray that your daughter can try. You spray it on everything and it is supposed to keep the cat from peeing on whatever you spray it on. I did not try this because it was 40.00 for a Windex sized bottle.

If neither of those help then the cat has a behaivor problem and may never stop. Moo eventually moved out to a farm and is very happy.

Good luck, keep us updated on what happens with your daughter's situation!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Thanks Gabriel, I'll tell her about the Nature's Miracle site. She's actually had the cat for several months and she seems to get along with the other animals just fine. I know she took her to the vet when she first got her but I'll suggest another vet visit to rule out any urinary problems. I don't know if this has been an ongoing thing and I'm just hearing about it now, or if it's something new. My daughter is the ultimate animal lover and will tolerate much from her babies so I would guess that this is something that's been going on for awhile.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread