+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

We has a new baby rare Red Panda!!

article-1196691-058C2F9D000005DC-426_634x846.jpgarticle-1196691-058C38E8000005DC-134_634x377.jpgarticle-1196691-058C3498000005DC-217_634x527.jpg

It's panda-monium as cub Sha-Lei makes her first personal appearance at just two weeks oldBy Miriam Zendle

She may look more like a hedgehog than a panda at this point, but don't be fooled by this little cutie. Tiny Sha-lei is actually a rare Styan red panda cub, one of very few left of the North American sub-species.

Sha-lei weighed in at just 169 grams when born at the Valley Zoo in Edmonton, Canada on June 13.

Sha-lei was officially presented to the media on June 30 and today, Canada Day, makes her debut at the Zoo from 9:30 to 3pm at the Saito Centre.
    She is being hand-raised by Valley Zoo Animal Health Technologist Sandy Heiliker, rather than stay with her mother.

This is because her mother attempted to aggressively groom her soon after her birth. Sha-lei had to be removed for her own safety.

Sha-lei exists because of the zoo's Species Survival breeding program. The program tries to preserve the population of endangered species through breeding regulation.

It currently looks after four red pandas (Sha-lei, her mother, father and sister Pip), while only 2,500-3,000 of the sub-species are thought to be left in the wild.

Sha-lei was born deaf and blind, like all red pandas, so Heiliker is having to do everything for her that her mother would otherwise do.

And if you're wondering why she's called a red panda but is actually grey - this is but a temporary condition.

She should turn red by the end of the summer.

It's panda-monium as cub Sha-Lei makes her first personal appearance at just two weeks old | Mail Online
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Aww how cute. Welcome to the world with hopes and wishes for a long life.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3535580;
    It sure is saying something! It tells me that someone who has bundles of school, talent and expertise can take care of such little ones with such care deserve every penny they make.
    I agree and unlike human doctors, vets have more than one species they have to learn and be an expert on. MD's only have to learn the human body. Vet's have to learn dogs, cats, horses, cows, etc. I know many vets specialize, but in vet school, they still have to learn multiple species.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3536770;
    I agree and unlike human doctors, vets have more than one species they have to learn and be an expert on. MD's only have to learn the human body. Vet's have to learn dogs, cats, horses, cows, etc. I know many vets specialize, but in vet school, they still have to learn multiple species.
    Physicians may only have to learn the human body but the human body is rather complex. After four years of medical school, successfully passing rigorous licensing exams, spending one year as an intern.... a doctor then goes into residency. Doctors do not get paid much during this time but work long hours. The residency can last anywhere from 2-4 years but those that go into specialties like surgery may spend another 8 years in residency. Even after their residency doctors spend years studying their specialty.
    Vets on the other hand spend 4 years in Vet school and then are eligible to take their exams and if they pass may begin practicing straight away. Even though they learn about different species, I doubt they become an "expert" on each species.

Either way both vets and MDs go through extensive training and years of education to help animals and humans stay healthy. I admire anyone who chooses to go into the medical field whether the intent is to treat humans or animals.

BTW - The cyst that was on my dog's head fell off on our walk last night. By the time it fell off, it grew to the size of a medium sized garlic clove..

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

queenb BooBoo is going to be so rotten, I'm sure she is loving all the extra loving she's getting. hope she feels better soon.

I admire all Vets, they have to be good with the animal as well as the owners and be able to diagnose by symtoms and looking and what we as pet owners tell them. I have been very fortunate in finding good compassionate large and small animal Vets.
    Well except for one...When I first got Duke (german shepherd), I took him to a young vet that had been recommended to me... Duke growled at him and wouldn't let the vet exam him, he told me that Duke showed signs of being aggressive and I should have him "put down" before he cause me trouble. I picked Duke up and walked out of his office and found another Vet. He was so wrong about Duke, yes he was protective, but was never a mean dog.
    The new Vet was really good with Duke through out his whole life, and helped me so much with him through his cancer and when it came time to put him to sleep, she came out to my jeep and climbed in the back and let me hold Duke as she put him to sleep.

The new Vet was really good with Duke through out his whole life, and helped me so much with him through his cancer and when it came time to put him to sleep, she came out to my jeep and climbed in the back and let me hold Duke as she put him to sleep.
    God bless the good vets. Mine came out to my home to give Bjorn his last shot, and as it took effect, she leaned over, kissed him on the top of his head, and whispered. "Goodbye, baby"
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3537014;
    BTW - The cyst that was on my dog's head fell off on our walk last night. By the time it fell off, it grew to the size of a medium sized garlic clove..
    EEK! You aare sure it wasn't a tick, aren't you? Seriously, though, that is weird--and at least you won't have to worry about it anymore.

I am very glad to have a good vet as well-- in the past I have found that some vets prefer to work on dogs to the point that it's obvious they would rather not even see cats. The one I go to now even has separate entrances and waiting rooms for kitties and dogs so there is less stress there.
    Last edited by queenb; 07-01-2009 at 03:31 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3537556;
    EEK! You aare sure it wasn't a tick, aren't you? Seriously, though, that is weird--and at least you won't have to worry about it anymore.
    I am sure it wasn't a tick...I think the thing got so filled with fluid and got so heavy that it broke from the stem. Anyway, still bringing him to my friend who says it will grow back if he doesn't treat it.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3537014;
    It just FELL off???

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3536260;
    I got BooBoo back from the vet yesterday, and she is kind of pitiful--she has on one of those awful cone things to keep her from rubbing her eyes; it has to stay till tomorrow night. I feel really bad seeing her running into the doorway, the floor, and everything else with it. I'm not sure she minds nearly as much as i do, as it's meaning extra brushing and baby talking, and getting hand fed.
    Poor baby, POOR POOR BOO BOO...

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3537536;
    God bless the good vets. Mine came out to my home to give Bjorn his last shot, and as it took effect, she leaned over, kissed him on the top of his head, and whispered. "Goodbye, baby"
    My Dad and Uncle took Mona for me, I was way too distraught and said my goodbyes already. My Dad told me that the plunger wasn't even 1/2 way into the syringe and Mona went away. he said the vet looked up and said she must have been just ready and gave her a pat on the head and said go in peace little Mona. My Dad then patted Mona and said I'll see you soon sweetie...
    Last edited by just1paul; 07-01-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3537762;
    It just FELL off???
    I let him off leash to run on the grass and when he came back it was gone! He was playing with a few of the bigger dogs (maybe one of them bit it off!)

Anyway, my son has his appetite back now that he doesn't have to look at it!

+ Reply to Thread