+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Our dog Augie had one of those 'fluid filled warts' a few months ago. When we took her to the vet he just popped it like a zit and she didn't seem to feel anything. (I'm not reccommending doing this in case it isnt). The Dr. told me it was called a 'hot spot' and lots of older dogs get them. I'm still a little fuzzy of exactly what it was but she hasn't had any since.

Good luck with the vet bills! I swear, it costs more for the animals to go to the vet then it does for us humans! (and that is saying something!)
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

I think the 'wart' is actually just one of those things that can be popped, too.
    As far as the black skin disease, I've not seen that one before, so I can't comment on that.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3535136;
    Our dog Augie had one of those 'fluid filled warts' a few months ago. When we took her to the vet he just popped it like a zit and she didn't seem to feel anything. (I'm not reccommending doing this in case it isnt). The Dr. told me it was called a 'hot spot' and lots of older dogs get them. I'm still a little fuzzy of exactly what it was but she hasn't had any since.

Good luck with the vet bills! I swear, it costs more for the animals to go to the vet then it does for us humans! (and that is saying something!)
    It sure is saying something! It tells me that someone who has bundles of school, talent and expertise can take care of such little ones with such care deserve every penny they make.

We thought Jaxi's tumor was a wart at first. But when it didn't appear fluid filled but more solid, we took her in and that's when he pulled out some cells to look at. The chances of it being cancer were slim but we didn't take the chance. We paid $400 that we didnt' really have - I was saving and that was the last of my income tax return but I would do it again in a heartbeat and don't regret it one bit!!! She gets her stitches out from the surgery / tumor removal on Friday and then it is over!

Thanks everyone for getting back to me on my dog's weird "growth". It has gotten so big now it looks like a "corn nut" or a clove of garlic. Funny thing is I was making garlic bread (which my son loves) to go with lasagna tonight but my son is so grossed out , he asked me not to make the garlic bread!
    I took my dog over to a friends house this afternoon, he is a physician (of the human variety) and he told me it was a fluid filled cyst and he was going to cut if off but he didn't have any lidocaine at home so we are bringing him back tomorrow night. He didn't want my dog to feel any pain...so sweet of him! I guess I should make him some cookies or something!

Regarding the black skin disease, I can't find a lot of information other than it occurs in "obese" dogs. I do admit he is a little overweight but I wouldn't consider him obese....

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3535580;
    It sure is saying something! It tells me that someone who has bundles of school, talent and expertise can take care of such little ones with such care deserve every penny they make.
    It's true Gabriel. Although, a substitute vet referred to our "baby" as not too pretty. Well, she's almost 16 and we still think she's gorgeous (warts and all). My daughter looked at me and I knew we were thinking the same thing The dog got great treatment but I thought my kid was going to punch the guy. She was fuming at "his nerve" in the parking lot. It may have been one of his first days on the job because what nut would say that to a pet owner?? Daughter is now finishing up her undergrad degree and aiming for vet school

Luvsginger, that is really nice of your friend to help your doggie! And I don't think any of us with 'bigger' animals want to call them fat--I just call BooBoo "old Beast" instead.
    I got BooBoo back from the vet yesterday, and she is kind of pitiful--she has on one of those awful cone things to keep her from rubbing her eyes; it has to stay till tomorrow night. I feel really bad seeing her running into the doorway, the floor, and everything ele with it. I'm not sure she minds nearly as much as i do, as it's meaning extra brushing and baby talking, and getting hand fed.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3536260;
    Luvsginger, that is really nice of your friend to help your doggie! And I don't think any of us with 'bigger' animals want to call them fat--I just call BooBoo "old Beast" instead.
    I got BooBoo back from the vet yesterday, and she is kind of pitiful--she has on one of those awful cone things to keep her from rubbing her eyes; it has to stay till tomorrow night. I feel really bad seeing her running into the doorway, the floor, and everything ele with it. I'm not sure she minds nearly as much as i do, as it's meaning extra brushing and baby talking, and getting hand fed.
    Yes, my friend is very nice indeed....he is a huge animal lover and he was so gentle with my dog and the fact that he wouldn't remove the growth without anesthetizing the area first made me feel better about not bringing him to the vet.
    It is so sad when dogs have to wear those cones. We had a dog that would back himself up into a corner with his cone on and just sit there and stare at us like "help me!" It's sad that they don't understand that it is for their own good.
    You know what is a real treat for dogs? To hand feed them baby food. They love it!!!

Hello everyone - just an update on my kitty Cosmo. We have almost finished our 2-week quarantine. Hallelujah! Thursday is freedom day, and I know it will be a great day to let her out in the rest of the house again. Cosmo has really behaved herself well (after the initial day of freaking out), but I can tell she really wants to come out of her room. Yeah, the novelty has worn off for me, too. And I think the dog actually misses her! It will be nice to be able to sleep in my room again instead of on the futon in the basement, which is where I have slept for the last 2 weeks so as not to be woken up by nighttime scratching on the door. Man, the sacrifices we make for our fur-babies!

Has anyone here seen "Up"? I won't spoil it (great movie!), but a large part of the movie is centered around dogs and you can hear their thoughts. So hilarious for anyone who has/loves dogs! There is even a mention of the "cone of shame".
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Has it been two weeks already? Well enjoy the freedom Cosmo!!

+ Reply to Thread