+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

Tony Randall in the Odd Couple. Perfect analogy. Waldo's more like Oscar.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3528953;
    Tony Randall in the Odd Couple. Perfect analogy. Waldo's more like Oscar.
    Heh Heh Heh -- good one -- here you go:
    Attached Images Attached Images

MRD

I loved the Odd Couple. Great show
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

At the Columbus Zoo we have Colo, first gorilla ever born in captivity. She also happens to be the oldest living gorilla currently in captivity at the ripe old age of 52. Yesterday she underwent a physical, specifically her heart. She passed with flying colors, Unfortunately the director of the zoo mentioned in the article below had a heart attack today while mowing his lawn and passed away. He was on all the news channels last night talking about how important it was to have these exams done on Colo just as it is important for humans also. This is so sad.
    The Columbus Dispatch : Colo the gorilla doing well after physical
    Colo the gorilla doing well after physical
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 12:41 PM
    By Kathy Lynn Gray
    The Columbus Dispatch

Colo the gorilla was resting comfortably today after undergoing heart tests and a physical examination this morning at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium.

Zoo Director Jeff Swanagan said her procedures went well and her heart appeared very strong.

As the oldest gorilla in captivity and the first born in captivity, Colo's health is watched around the world by zoos, veterinarians and animal enthusiasts.

Beginning at 8 a.m. she was anesthetized and had ultrasounds done of her heart as well as an overall physical examination, blood tests, vaccinations and dental checks.

Columbus doctors worried that the tests could be risky for the 52-year-old matriarch, but hoped they'd uncover why she has periods of time when she won't eat, seems depressed and hardly moves.

Swanagan said the only problems doctors found immediately were with her teeth and gums. Blood test results won't be available for several days.

Colo's already outlived two of her three children. Daughter Emmy died in 1982 at the age of 14 and son Oscar died of a heart attack in 1993 at the age of 23 after his annual physical examination. Oscar was one of four Columbus Zoo gorillas that died within a 12-month period in 1993 and 1994.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 06-29-2009 at 06:15 AM.

OMG. I heard the news about Colo yesterday - didn't realize it was in Columbus. How sad about the Zoo Director.

All my best to Zac. It seems a lot of us Forters have gone to the bridge to check on him. He is always in my prayers.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

My goodness, what a sad, strange turn of events regarding the zoo director.

We had a lot of thunderstorms yesterday and I looked out and saw we had a lone visitor stopping for a rest in the pool. I kept the dogs inside until Mr. Mallard decided to leave.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Does the chlorine/chemicals not bother them?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It didn't seem to. We've had a couple before, too. They just swim around for an hour or so and are on their way. The funny thing is that Lake Ontario is only a few hundred feet down the road I guess they feel more protected.

I am not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question but here goes. I have a small dog that we adopted in FEB of this year (sounds like a Killers song)....anyway he is a small dog, part chihuahua and shiba-inu and weighs about 15-16 lbs. I have two questions that you may be able to answer.
    The first one is; my dog had this small little wart on the top of his head that was flesh colored and flat. This wart grew overnight! I mean it is the size of a large kernel of corn now and I swear it popped up overnight! It is on the top of his head and it sort of looks like he is growing a horn on one side of his head. My question.....has anyone ever experienced anything like this with one of their dogs? I googled it and didn't come up with much.

The second question I have is that the same dog has developed "black skin disease". We haven't taken him to the vet for a diagnosis but everything I have read on the internet suggests it. My question is has anyone ever had a dog with black skin disease and did they lose hair in those places?

Thanks for your help. I am really trying to avoid a $300-$500 vet bill right now which is probably inevitable.

ETA: After closer examination of this "growing wart", I am thinking it is a fluid filled abscess.
    Last edited by luvsginger; 06-30-2009 at 11:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread