+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7
    In all seriousness, my purebred Maine Coon is really something else. First of all, she's just a kitten and she's so BIG! (hard to remember she's just a kitten. She is so gentle, and her mannerisms are so different than most cats I have ever encountered.
    Ohhhhh, another Maine Coon lover! I have one toooooo! Actually I have four cats- one Maine Coon, one Abysinnian, one Somali and one stray I found. And two Golden Retrievers. Yes, that means I have a major fur problem but we have a Dyson that gets pulled out daily.

You're right, the Maine Coon is quite different from other cats. And they ARE giants! Her dad weighed 30 pounds. Whoa..... Mine weighs 21 pounds with a major tail! Loves to butt her head to get attention. Awwww...

"Stop licking your trotters" has become a commonly yelled refrain in Casa Texie thanks to the lhasa's penchant for working over her feet.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Ugh Tex - mine too. Our springer gnaws on her foot. Blech.

FORT Fogey
    I will be back to comment on your posts, you guys, but for now I'll leave you with the latest shot of the pups:

MaryBeth, I read that dogs work over their feet because of parasitic problems (fleas lodged between their toes) but that's NOT the case with my little one. She's only ever had one flea, and she got that at the groomer's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Texicana; 06-08-2005 at 09:57 AM.

So it's a little over a year since my cat died - and I haven't gotten another animal. HOWEVER -

Apparently a woman in the area that started out as a foster cat mom became addicted to the animals, and has over 10 kitties in her apartment, and there was mention of a litter of kittens. An agency is going in and taking them out this weekend.

Being that I don't want a full time animal, but am going through kitty withdrawal, etc. I have agreed to foster two of these felines, and I get them this weekend.

I can't wait! I haven't had a cat in a long time, and kind of want a 'test run' as it were, so for the summer I will have two rescued furballs, and my neighbor has agreed to 'co-foster' with me, since she's in the same boat as I.

I've reallly been missing my baby, and hope this will help both the kitties and I, as they need a place to stay and I have space, both in the apartment and in my heart.

anyone else foster? What was it like?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Glitternerfball
    anyone else foster? What was it like?
    Glitter, I do and YOU'LL LOVE IT. I got involved because there's an office in my neighborhood that has four office cats, and one of them gets very lonely on weekends when all the humans go away.

For the last 16 months straight I've been taking their sad kitty home every Friday night, keeping him all weekend (including holidays), and returning him on Mondays at about 6:00 a.m.

It's a shared arrangement, very similar to a foster arrangement, and IT'S WORKING OUT GREAT.

I wrote about Smudge the Weekend Cat up in this thread above, and when I'm home (not working) I'll get more info for you.

PM me any time, and my recommendation is, "GO FOR IT!"

My students just told me about a horrible website.... bonsaikitten(s?).com. I will be checking it out on my lunch hour. Sounds really brutal - but a new fad.
    Count your blessings!

Great pics Pom and Texie! Your babies are so adorable. I see the jeep meets with the Pomettes' approval. Texie, is that wrapping paper stuck to her side?

Mariner, she's next to my husband's computer area, and that's a label from the US Post Office (a box the husband had opened recently which he hadn't gotten rid of). She's my peach!

+ Reply to Thread