+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3513866;
    just a thought tango7...my cat who I adopted when he was 2 turned out to be very allergic to everything. Litter..I can only use a cheapo kind, otherwise he loses his hair. Um, food. He can only eat a few teaspoons of one brand of cruchy otherwise it all comes up etc. I suppose the moral to this story is to not invest a lot of cash into stuff until you know for sure works for your kitty.
    Yeah, thanks for reminder. I'll be getting an older cat, and I guess (hope)they will talk to me about it's eating preferences. I'm also leaning towards getting a regular litter box (as opposed to the fancier ones in the links I posted).

My sister's cat would only eat 9 Lives. She would walk away from any other brand.

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;3513867;
    Yeah, thanks for reminder. I'll be getting an older cat, and I guess (hope)they will talk to me about it's eating preferences. I'm also leaning towards getting a regular litter box (as opposed to the fancier ones in the links I posted).

My sister's cat would only eat 9 Lives. She would walk away from any other brand.
    Cats can be trained to eat whatever you want them to. You just have to introduce new things slowly. If you want them to eat a new canned food, keep giving it to them, increasing daily, along with the current food. You can thn slowly remove the old food.
    If you do get an older cat, please keep in mind that wet food is much better for them than dry due to the added mositure. Older cats run the risk of developing CRF when they only eat dry food.

Good Luck.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3513909;
    Cats can be trained to eat whatever you want them to. You just have to introduce new things slowly. If you want them to eat a new canned food, keep giving it to them, increasing daily, along with the current food. You can thn slowly remove the old food.
    If you do get an older cat, please keep in mind that wet food is much better for them than dry due to the added mositure. Older cats run the risk of developing CRF when they only eat dry food.

Good Luck.
    Cats do not have that natural "thirst" factor always that makes them want to drink water just to drink. I was fortunate Joey and Mona both liked water, but Joey has always been a 'give me fresh water as 2 or 3 times a day and I'll really be happy. loves to drink COLD fresh water. Joey had a urinary tract blockage about eight years ago and since then he only gets certain foods with GUARANTEED magnesium MAXIMUM 0.25% helps keep the urine more acidic to help prevent crystals from forming.

I'll give you Joeys feed story another post.

I've been told by a physician friend that room-temperature water is best for human digestion of food. I wonder if the same is true for our pets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3514426;
    I've been told by a physician friend that room-temperature water is best for human digestion of food. I wonder if the same is true for our pets.
    Good question. I'll have to ask, although Joey has always liked it right after I put fresh water in the bowl. Come to think of it, it is not really COLD COLD, just a few seconds after I turn the tap on. Good point though.

I keep hearing that "cats don't have much thirst drive", usually when someone is trying to argue for raw feeding or against ever feeding dry food, but every cat. I"ve ever had has drunk plenty. but, as gabriel says, they do like it a lot more right after you change it. Maybe the people who don't see their cats drink let it get too stale--do YOU want to drink water that has sat out for a day or more?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Blech. Stale water is disgusting. Moo hated water in her dish; she only drank from the toilet. No matter how fresh it was or if I closed the toilet lid (she was good at proping it up), she would just plain refuse to drink out of a dish.

For her food I would usually give her dry but once or twice a week as a little treat I would mix the dry with some wet. I always bought Meow Mix and the big bags they have sometimes came with a bunch of packes of 'sample' wet food. She would go nuts and gulp the wet stuff down like it was Thanksgiving and she had been starving herself for the meal.

Another great thing about cats: when I had my Moo I never saw a spider or icky bug. She would hunt them all down for me. I LOVED that!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think it's moreso about fresh water. A couple of the gurls like ice cubes in their water dish in the summer, but that is more of a treat. The other two look at the cubes like they are alien spaceships that have landed in their dish.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3514559;
    I keep hearing that "cats don't have much thirst drive", usually when someone is trying to argue for raw feeding or against ever feeding dry food, but every cat. I"ve ever had has drunk plenty. but, as gabriel says, they do like it a lot more right after you change it. Maybe the people who don't see their cats drink let it get too stale--do YOU want to drink water that has sat out for a day or more?
    BLEECH! PTOOEY!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3514631;
    I think it's moreso about fresh water. A couple of the gurls like ice cubes in their water dish in the summer, but that is more of a treat. The other two look at the cubes like they are alien spaceships that have landed in their dish.
    Joey stares at them until they stop popping then he tries to lick them as they float around. Mona on the other hand or should I say PAW used to flip them out of the bowl and lick them.

This is an excerpt from the website of the place where I'm going to look for a cat in a few weeks.

" . . .Adult cats may be adopted for $60 and kittens for a $70 fee. The adoption fee covers vaccinations, de-worming, feline leukemia testing, FIV testing (of adult cats), microchipping, and spaying/neutering. All adult cats are spayed/neutered before they are adopted out, while the adoption fee for kittens covers their future altering. We offer a 10 day health guarantee and return policy, but we will always take back our cats if for some reason the adoptive parent can no longer care for them. However, after the 10 day period, no refunds or exchanges can be made."

Opinions, please. Also, please explain microchipping. Thanks!

Also, someone (gabriel, I think) mentioned no yelling. I don't have that issue and I don't tolerate yelling/screaming from visitors. But I was at someone's house last yr and a screaming match/door slamming confrontation took place among a couple people. I saw the poor cats run and hide. When I get very tickled I laugh very loudly (on the phone) and my sister's cat used to hate that.
    Last edited by tango7; 06-21-2009 at 12:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread