+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lack_white.jpg

aaawww, I just looked at the condo and stairs pics. Joey is a big cat!
    Age? Weight?

Okay - back to my 'cat preparation' - what do you folks think of this litter system?

BREEZE Litter System Demonstration :: Products :: BREEZEâ„¢

or this one:

Scoop Free Automatic Litter Box -- Self Cleaning Litter Box Featuring Fresh Step Crystals
    Last edited by tango7; 06-19-2009 at 12:33 AM.

Joey is a domestic shorthair who just turned 14 years old and at his last checkup weighed 15 pounds 12 ounces. His Doctor says he is not fat, but she would like to see him at about 13 pounds..

He is a tall, long boy who stands about 14 inches tall when standing normally and I believe I measured him stretched out once at about 20-24 inches.

I do believe that UNKLESCOTT has a long tall one also in Hardy of his Laurel and Hardy pair of brothers. There are pictures of them here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3510793;
    Maybe you should paint the condo red and tell him it is a barn!
    He would probably be the one cow who hates a barn......

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3511045;
    He would probably be the one cow who hates a barn......
    Of course he would. Somehow I think Joey, Henry and Rosie are quite the individual, marching to the beat of a different drum.

Gabriel, maybe he's saving the condo for when he retires. To Florida!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3511232;
    Of course he would. Somehow I think Joey, Henry and Rosie are quite the individual, marching to the beat of a different drum.

Gabriel, maybe he's saving the condo for when he retires. To Florida!
    Slightly out of sync with the rest of us. But are they "normal" or are we? WALDO marches to a different drummer also I bet, or would that be WALDO marches to an entirely different band?

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;3511022;
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lack_white.jpg

aaawww, I just looked at the condo and stairs pics. Joey is a big cat!
    Age? Weight?

Okay - back to my 'cat preparation' - what do you folks think of this litter system?

BREEZE Litter System Demonstration :: Products :: BREEZEā„¢

or this one:

Scoop Free Automatic Litter Box -- Self Cleaning Litter Box Featuring Fresh Step Crystals
    I really don't have a problem scooping the box daily, with the clumping litter--there's not usually very much odor at all; no one ever knows the cats are here until they see one.
    However, if I were going to spend all that money on a box, I think I'd get the second one--the litter is more like regular litter a cat would be used to, and also I have seen the other pellets at the store--they are so lightweight I'm afraid they would end up kicked out all over the place. You do have to remember that the special litter and pads for these things do add up over time as well, if that's a concern.
    And just a note, I bet these are like all the other litter products that claim to last 'x' amount of time. You had better cut whatever time table they tell you in half!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3511509;
    also I have seen the other pellets at the store--they are so lightweight I'm afraid they would end up kicked out all over the place. You do have to remember that the special litter and pads for these things do add up over time as well, if that's a concern.
    And just a note, I bet these are like all the other litter products that claim to last 'x' amount of time. You had better cut whatever time table they tell you in half!
    Yeah, certainly some things to think about - picking up/vacuuming pellets all the time. These both sound and look good - but the replacement pads and filters could get expensive. Makes me think of printers - no matter what a good deal a person gets the real cost is the cartridges.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have totally fallen in love with that corn litter, World's Best Litter. This litter IS safe to flush down the toilet, but they don't want you doing that in CA (I think). Daily scooping makes it seem to last forever, and I'm talking 4 kitties, here.

Toys: My gurls love curling ribbon and my time with the curling ribbon. They also adore boxes (can't get any cheaper than that!), and actually come running when I announce that I've got a new box. Keep cat nip on hand which may or may not work; mostly they eat it and roll in it; can make them aggressive with each other. And they love to throw/carry twisty-ties around. Just realize, most toys are to entertain the owners since I've noticed that the cats could, usually, not give a hoot about them.

p.s. I'd also consider adopting 2 at once. They enjoy their company when you're at work. Who wants to be the only one of their species at home? It will help you not to be the only playmate, too....but, either way, they are loving critters once you get into a routine. I got my second kitty when the first was grown and crotchety, and she stayed grown and crotchety despite the baby's best efforts to charm her, but they came to a tolerance. And now we stand at 4! I love it!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 06-19-2009 at 12:24 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

If you are thinking about toys for your new kitty then a lazer pointer is a MUST HAVE! My old kitty Moo would go absolutely crazy for it. Unfortunately she didn't really care for the actual 'cat toys' i bought her (multi-colored mice and balls). She liked socks. She would steal them out of my hamper and hoard them under the bed in a giant nest (along with a few of my favorite pairs of pajama pants and undies). She would also dig stuff out of the garbage and hoard it in her 'nest' so I would reccomend getting a garbage with a lid if you don't already have one.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

My cat expert friend (she has 3) is going to take me next month to pick out a cat. The place has over 300. One thing I thought about is to make sure I close off my bedroom – especially when I bring the car home. Understandable, the cat will be nervous about being in a new environment. I don’t want it running to hide under my bed, then having an ‘accident’ under my bed. Hard to clean up.

Interesting that several people have mentioned cats like boxes to play with. I never thought of that; I have plenty. Laser pointer . . .hmmm.

I visited my sister in another state a couple years ago and she had a female cat that I adored (reminds me of “Joey” but she had gray spots, not black), but she was not a lap kitty. She would get aggressive if picked up; she was happy to just eat, sleep, and sit in the window. I do want a cat that will be okay with being held and petted sometimes. No little kids come around (my nieces/nephews are older and only occasionally visit).

Another concern is that I have a desktop PC with a very large monitor and (unfortunately) lots of cords. I’ve heard cats will climb onto keyboards and mess with cords (I don’t work, but I do go out and can’t watch 24/7). Any ideas on keeping cats awy from computers, dvr cords, etc.?

Another thing – and this is kinda funny. I thought it would be cute to get a harness/leash and take the cat for walks. Well, every cat owner I know strongly advises against it. Mine will be an indoor cat, and I have watched youtube videos that convinced me not to try that – in one the cat threw a true hissy fit and bit/scratched it’s owner in the face!
    (FORT doesn't allow youtube videos . . .but google 'youtube cat leash'. The cat's name is Torpedo)
    Last edited by tango7; 06-19-2009 at 01:40 PM.

+ Reply to Thread