+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;3510221;
    gabriel, your cat is sooooo cuddly looking and pretty!

I’m getting a cat next month (adult, from a non-profit rescue organization), and I want a grey one. They make sure the cat has shots and is spayed/neutered.

This will be a big change for me; I haven’t had a pet since I was a kid. So now I am consulting with other cat owners. I’ve been looking at various types of litter boxes online and am open to suggestions. I’m very particular about smells, so I know I will have to keep it clean.

Also on my list:
    Scratching post
    Toys (I know they also love bright strings and ribbons)
    Carrying case
    Shedding comb
    Bed

What about declawing and treatment for fleas?
    I'm not a big fan of declawing either, but if you must then just do the front. I know a few people who had their cats declawed on all 4s and it leaves them without much self defense if they were to ever get out of the house or something.

A good alternative is capping the claws. You can ask your vet about doing it, they are basically little clear plastic capsuls that go over the nails and are glued on so that the nails are covered like a glove. My friend has a Sphynx (the hairless cats) and she does the caps because if her cat has an itch it scratches it's skin and bleeds. She absolutely loves the caps.

Gabriel- I LOVE that look on Mona's face. Too funny. Joey is one spoiled little king!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

I’m getting a cat next month (adult, from a non-profit rescue organization), and I want a grey one. They make sure the cat has shots and is spayed/neutered.

This will be a big change for me; I haven’t had a pet since I was a kid. So now I am consulting with other cat owners. I’ve been looking at various types of litter boxes online and am open to suggestions. I’m very particular about smells, so I know I will have to keep it clean.

Also on my list:
    Scratching post
    Carrying case
    Shedding comb
    Bed

I pretty much agree with Gaberial. Bless you for adopting. Black cats are usually not adopted because people think they are bad luck..so consider a black kitty.

I'd advise against declawing...especially if you let your cat outside. And I don't think they should be let out, EVER. For flea contol, again not a problem with a 1 pet indoor household..but otherwise use Advantage. (a topical monthly treatment) Don't use the cheapo stuff from Walmart, that stuff is nasty. Also recommend a furminator comb to help keep the loose hair under control. They cost more but are so worth it.
    Last edited by livin4reality; 06-18-2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: just because every post I've done today has been edited..
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3510259;
    Well, it sounds like you're doing the best possible for your cat and I'm very glad to see it's got the 97% success ratio. Wonderful.
    Good Luck.
    Thank you. It was traumatic leaving her at the vet for 3 days (they have to let the radiation go down to a certain level before she can leave). But they assured me that the treatment is not in any way painful to them. The worst part is the stress of being in a strange place. Also, to clarify - it is an hour per day (spread out) that I can spend with her, not one hour total over the whole 2 weeks. But at this rate, I see me lasting a few days, max.

tango, congratulations on getting a cat! I'd wait and kind of get a feel of him/her before you spend loads of money on toys, etc. My cat has never played with any toys since she was a tiny kitten. She will also not have anything to do with a scratching post. They do have something for scratching that is inexpensive that some cats really enjoy - it is a box with this woven cardboard stuff that you sprinkle catnip in and they love to shred it. If I can remember what it is called, I will post a link.

She does love her "kitty condo" which is placed in front of a window so she can sit in the "penthouse" and look out. I have to say, those things are expensive, though. I was lucky that my neighbor gave me a hand-me-down that is very sturdy.

My cat goes out a little every day, but she is getting old and mostly sits in front of the house. If I ever get another cat, however, I will do my best to keep it an indoor cat. It is just safer for them and you don't ever have to know the heartbreak of them getting hit by a car. If you let it go outdoors, you ABSOLUTELY must not declaw it! I am against declawing in general, but I suppose if you had little kids and were worried or something, I could understand. If it is just the furniture you are worried about...well, buy cheaper furniture.

My cat takes Revolution (a monthly topical application) that prevents fleas and protects against heartworm.

I am excited for you. A new pet is always wonderful and the pet owners at the FORT will be a big help to you, I'm sure.

ETA: thank you, gabriel. :

tango, this is what I was talking about above: PETCO Cat Cardboard Scratcher at PETCO

This one looks even better:
    Turbo Scratcher Cat Toy and Scratch Pad
    Last edited by oneTVslave; 06-18-2009 at 08:24 PM.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Iím getting a cat next month (adult, from a non-profit rescue organization), and I want a grey one. They make sure the cat has shots and is spayed/neutered.

This will be a big change for me; I havenít had a pet since I was a kid. So now I am consulting with other cat owners. Iíve been looking at various types of litter boxes online and am open to suggestions. Iím very particular about smells, so I know I will have to keep it clean.

Also on my list:
    Scratching post
    Carrying case
    Shedding comb
    Bed

If you want an adult cat, and declawing, get one that has already been done as a kitten--I got all mine as adults, and all are declawed. There are plenty of kitties that will fit the description withoutyou having to have the surgery done--do NOT get an adult cat declawed, it is too hard on them. If you do get a declawed cat, it must stay in all the time--but you won't have to worry about fleas. I know nothing about flea treatment, because my kitties don't go out.
    I use the jumbo size box, with no cover, the cats like it better. I do use the clumping litter--Dr Elsey's Precious cat from Petsmart is the least dusty by far. Don't get a scented kind--the clumping litter doesn't stink anyway, and the perfumes bother many cats. With the clumping kind I only have to do a full change every couple of weeks, but do NOT flush the litter. I just scoop it into a bag every day, tie it up and throw it in the trash. Make sure the litter box is not too close to the food, or in a high traffic area.
    Be careful with those strings and ribbons--cats do love them, but if they swallow it, it can create massive problems that can kill a cat--supervise all playing with these! My cats prefer the small, stuffed little toys with catnip to big things with batteries or that make a noise--but they do like the fishing pole or wand type cat teasers as well. But some cats don't like toys at all--they all have thier own purrsonality.

The most important thing--don't grab the first cat that "looks' the way you want it to. Wait until the shelter gets one like you want, with a personality that you really like. I've found that for the most part if the cat seems friendly, playful, and people-friendly at the shelter, it will be fine...the ones that the shelter volunteers defend as "he will be better away from here', usually remain shy or aggressive or touch-me-notwhatever, just maybe not as much.
    Take your time, and you will be happy. In this situation, rushing can make you very sorry. Of course if there is a kitty you really want on the first visit, great.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3510290;

Gabriel- I LOVE that look on Mona's face. Too funny. Joey is one spoiled little king!
    Oh here I go again-- That dear sweet 9 pound Mona, who is still missed terribly even after 2 1/2 years, had that ability to cut you down to size with THE LOOK, and the photo op happened by sheer luck. I had my camera out for something and saw Mona on the floor with her tummy showing, I went to touch it -she sat up and gave me THE LOOK -I was able to grab the camera while on the floor and viola! Joey spoiled? I would say that is a mild word...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3510273;
    Joeys "steps", "tree" and "condo" (less partial balcony railing)
    So does this mean he's using the condo now?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3510540;
    So does this mean he's using the condo now?
    HA HA HA HA HA -- AUNTIE ROSIEDOG made a funny.. That is that picture from months ago from the ONE time he used it.. Nope it is still a stepping stool to his table.

Thanks everyone for feedback. Lots of good information.

Gabriel, the b&w Joey, wow . . .such pretty spots. Almost looks like a miniature cow (if the head was larger)

I’ll be back later with more questions.
    Last edited by tango7; 06-18-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;3510627;
    Thanks everyone for feedback. Lots of good information.

Gabriel, the b&w Joey, wow . . .such pretty spots. Almost looks like a miniature cow (if the head was larger)

Iíll be back later with more questions.
    MOOOOOOOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3510684;
    MOOOOOOOOOO
    Maybe you should paint the condo red and tell him it is a barn!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread