+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1265Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3509237;
    I should have done that...Mr.Ing told him he was going on vacation poor little fellow...but, he'll get a burger when he gets home. Buster is the black and tan , Toby is yellow fellow.
    Oh he didn't. Well at least he didn't tell him he was taking him "to a farm in the country, where he'll be happy and free".
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Buster would had known he was lying, since we live in the country and he is/was happy and free ... But, he could have told him he was taking him to town for Ice Cream.

I went to fill up the water tanks and had my camera with me. Cows are so nosy and fight over who is first... so, she just decided she would drink from the source...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by inthegarden; 06-18-2009 at 02:47 PM.

So, has anyone here had a cat with hyperthyroidism that has had the I-131 radioactive iodine treatment? My 16-yr-old cat had this treatment on Monday and I just brought her home today. She is doing fine, but has to be confined in a separate room for 2 weeks. 2 WEEKS! I don't know how I am going to survive it, she has been meowing non-stop since we've been home and I think she is trying to dig a tunnel out of there.

I'm really thinking about saying screw the isolation and taking my chances on radiation exposure. Anyone have any firsthand experience?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave;3509798;
    So, has anyone here had a cat with hyperthyroidism that has had the I-131 radioactive iodine treatment? My 16-yr-old cat had this treatment on Monday and I just brought her home today. She is doing fine, but has to be confined in a separate room for 2 weeks. 2 WEEKS! I don't know how I am going to survive it, she has been meowing non-stop since we've been home and I think she is trying to dig a tunnel out of there.

I'm really thinking about saying screw the isolation and taking my chances on radiation exposure. Anyone have any firsthand experience?
    My sister's cat had hyperthyroid and the Vet had him on med. for it.
    As cats get old, the 3 most common problems they face are diabetes, kidneys and thyroid, so hyperthyroid is pretty prevalent. I've never heard of a Vet who has given a cat radioactive iodine. I do remember years ago, though, when first lady Barbara Bush and the dog were given radioactive iodine for this. Typically, a person will then need thyroid med. for hypothyroid as that is most likely what happens to the thyroid after use of the RI.
    BTW, I was DX'd with hyperthyroid/graves's disease many years ago. Endocrinologist gave me RI right away. It did nothing for me. I switched Dr's and was put on meds. for almost 20 yrs. At the time that I was given RI, I was never told to stay away / isolate myself from others. So, I am surprised to hear the Vet telling you that.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

gabriel, your cat is sooooo cuddly looking and pretty!

I’m getting a cat next month (adult, from a non-profit rescue organization), and I want a grey one. They make sure the cat has shots and is spayed/neutered.

This will be a big change for me; I haven’t had a pet since I was a kid. So now I am consulting with other cat owners. I’ve been looking at various types of litter boxes online and am open to suggestions. I’m very particular about smells, so I know I will have to keep it clean.

Also on my list:
    Scratching post
    Toys (I know they also love bright strings and ribbons)
    Carrying case
    Shedding comb
    Bed

What about declawing and treatment for fleas?

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3509864;
    As cats get old, the 3 most common problems they face are diabetes, kidneys and thyroid, so hyperthyroid is pretty prevalent. I've never heard of a Vet who has given a cat radioactive iodine. I do remember years ago, though, when first lady Barbara Bush and the dog were given radioactive iodine for this. Typically, a person will then need thyroid med. for hypothyroid as that is most likely what happens to the thyroid after use of the RI.
    BTW, I was DX'd with hyperthyroid/graves's disease many years ago. Endocrinologist gave me RI right away. It did nothing for me. I switched Dr's and was put on meds. for almost 20 yrs. At the time that I was given RI, I was never told to stay away / isolate myself from others. So, I am surprised to hear the Vet telling you that.
    My cat was a good candidate for this treatment as she has no other health problems. It was expensive, but they say it cures the thyroid problem in 97% of cats, and only a small percent of cats develop hypothyroidism as a result. The other option was to give her pills 2x a day for the rest of her life, which could have harmful side effects. Also, getting my cat to swallow a pill is an impossible feat. I can't imagine that I would be successful often enough for the pills to do their work. Plus, she would learn to hate my guts, I'm sure. So, I was willing to take a chance with this and hope it works.

I'm allowed to spend a few minutes with her, several times a day (no more than an hour in total during the 2 weeks). I think that by law, they have to give me these instructions. However, I've read on the internet that the level of radiation she is giving off is so low, it would probably be equivalent to a roundtrip cross-country flight. I'm going to try to stick it out, but one can only listen to so much pissed-off meowing!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;3510221;
    gabriel, your cat is sooooo cuddly looking and pretty!
    JOEY??? He is a BIG DADDYS boy....

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;3510221;
    I’m getting a cat next month (adult, from a non-profit rescue organization), and I want a grey one. They make sure the cat has shots and is spayed/neutered.

This will be a big change for me; I haven’t had a pet since I was a kid. So now I am consulting with other cat owners. I’ve been looking at various types of litter boxes online and am open to suggestions. I’m very particular about smells, so I know I will have to keep it clean.

Also on my list:
    Scratching post
    Toys (I know they also love bright strings and ribbons)
    Carrying case
    Shedding comb
    Bed

What about declawing and treatment for fleas?
    Personally I am against declawing since it also involves taking off the toe to the first knuckle. It would be VERY hard on the adult especially walking after having walked with full size feet. (I know from first hand experience with my dear Mona, rest her spirit, she ended up with a permanent limp.
    (thats another story though - I did not have her declawed, it was done behind my back)
    If you can provide a good scratching area or keep the claws clipped that is all that is needed. What people think of as scratching is in reality the cat marking its' territory with the oils from the feet pads.

As for flea stuff, well I don't believe that they need to go outside, but my parents Max I think gets some type of flea control, not a collar.

Litterbox is just a rather large one with Tidy Cat plus (non clumping). When Joey poops I just shake the excess litter off with the scooper and flush the poo. I also change his box every third day, but that's just me. When Mona was alive I changed the litter every other day. I also have 2 litter boxes, I keep one washed (dish soap) and ready to fill, then when I fill it, I wash the other one etc., so Joey never has to wait for his box to be "prepared".

I will also post a couple of Joeys "things"... Ribbons, string etc. forget it.

Give the cat a paper grocery bag/sack and it will be happy.

Fresh water twice a day and plenty of soft food to go with the hard food. (I can give food info another time)

Just love the critter with all your heart and please don't yell.

My dear late Mona is the Tabby with what we call THE LOOK. Joey is the White and Black, Mom & Dads Max is the BIG Gray boy tabby....
    Last edited by just1paul; 06-18-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave;3510252;
    My cat was a good candidate for this treatment as she has no other health problems. It was expensive, but they say it cures the thyroid problem in 97% of cats, and only a small percent of cats develop hypothyroidism as a result. The other option was to give her pills 2x a day for the rest of her life, which could have harmful side effects. Also, getting my cat to swallow a pill is an impossible feat. I can't imagine that I would be successful often enough for the pills to do their work. Plus, she would learn to hate my guts, I'm sure. So, I was willing to take a chance with this and hope it works.

I'm allowed to spend a few minutes with her, several times a day (no more than an hour in total during the 2 weeks). I think that by law, they have to give me these instructions. However, I've read on the internet that the level of radiation she is giving off is so low, it would probably be equivalent to a roundtrip cross-country flight. I'm going to try to stick it out, but one can only listen to so much pissed-off meowing!
    Well, it sounds like you're doing the best possible for your cat and I'm very glad to see it's got the 97% success ratio. Wonderful.
    Good Luck.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Joeys "steps", "tree" and "condo" (less partial balcony railing)

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave;3510252;

Exactly - Go with your heart. I want you to know that I am thinking of you and your little one.

+ Reply to Thread