+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Ah JLuvs. Sasha is so cute. Of course, she looks like a very large Libby so I may be a little prejudiced.

I hope I don't make you sneeze, JLuvs!
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! All the cats are so adorable!
    ~*~America's Next Top Model's Best~*~

Katie + Catie + Amanda + Kahlen

I have three cats, one in the avatar lives here, at my house (Belly!!)

I have 2 other kitties, at my Mom's, but we're ALL moving to the beach soon, and will all be in the same house. I have a purebred Maine Coon kitten (Princess) and a black & white kitten I found under my car in 14 degree weather the day after Christmas. His name is Popsicle. (because he was cold and sweet.)

ANYWAY, Belly will be none too happy once Princess and Popsicle invade her world, but hopefully our new place will be fairly large, so she can have her private area to rule over.

I tell my little girl (age 5) all the time that I'd like to get about 3 more purebred Maine Coons, and today she said "When we do, I'll name them! Jesus, Flashlight and Goldie." With that, my Mom looked at me and said "YOU'RE going to be the one taking them to the vet with those names!" I had to laugh. (even though I take all the present ones to the vet as it is!)

ANYWAY, those are my kitties, and apparently, names for our future kitties!

Belly is a long-haired calico, I got her a couple of years before I had my daughter. When I was 8 to 9 months pregnant, when I was laying down Belly would walk across my tummy, and my baby would push back against her. They are VERY good friends now. I think that Belly is going to like Princess (our Maine Coon kitten) but I think she will NOT like Popsicle, he is ..well, he's very irritating. But we love him!
    Last edited by suncat7; 06-07-2005 at 02:48 AM.

Texi, I'm so glad there's a happy ending for your Great Dane. My neighbor has a Dane named Ralphie...he has a wonderful temperament and always gives me a kiss if I'm outside when he and his owner are walking by. *slurp*

Mariner, I'm sorry your baby is sick, but good for you for being on top of things and knowng she needed to go to the vet. I hope the antibiotics will kick in quickly.

When we lived in Tucson, one of my labs loved to chase rabbits in the desert after work. It was a common occurrence to have him stick his head in a cactus, scratch his eye, and end up with a cone on his head to keep from rubbing his eye. The vet would see us walking in and say, "shall we do the usual?" That dog never learned.

I have a terrier-mix now who has a constant ear infection battle going on. It's at the point where all I have to do is walk nonchantly near her, and she takes off and hides under our large coffee table, making it nearly impossible to get her out. I'd purposefully not look at her, and saunter up to catch her off guard , but now she's got that figured out too.

JLuvs, I can't believe having such a cute Sasha, you haven't looked in here either until now. What great pictures. I have to ask, where were you in the picture with your dog? It's beautiful!

Suncat, I'd never heard of the Maine Coon cate until someone (speedy?) here on Fort was talking about them. They are amazingly beautiful cats.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    JLuvs, I can't believe having such a cute Sasha, you haven't looked in here either until now. What great pictures. I have to ask, where were you in the picture with your dog? It's beautiful!
    I am right down the street from where I live in that picture. Feel free to come and visit any time. It is the San Bernardino County River....where it is in Redlands. Normally it is dried out, but not this year yet.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid[B
    Suncat[/B], I'd never heard of the Maine Coon cate until someone (speedy?) here on Fort was talking about them. They are amazingly beautiful cats.

I can't let Belly (in the avatar) know I am typing about my Maine Coon (Princess) because she'll claw my eyes out!

In all seriousness, my purebred Maine Coon is really something else. First of all, she's just a kitten and she's so BIG! (hard to remember she's just a kitten. She is so gentle, and her mannerisms are so different than most cats I have ever encountered.

I wanted to add...normally all of my kitties have been rescues. My Maine Coon obviously wasn't. We had a big family crisis and I got the purebred Maine Coon to give my little girl something else to focus on. And that worked well for us.

***and on the topic of cats...it's 3 am here, and Belly loves to lay on the back of the chair here in the living room, in front of a big window. SOMETHING just made a horrible squealing sound and hit the window. Belly is really very disturbed by it, and it about to tear the blinds down trying to figure out what it was....I'm not ABOUT to go out there in the dark and take a look! It sounded like a bat or something. Made me about jump out of my chair!**
    Last edited by suncat7; 06-07-2005 at 04:30 AM.

Too cold to run away! Burntcrow's Avatar
    Great Pictures everyone!
    I was browsing a dog training site (Yes at 4 in the morning) and came up on this...

So how do we deal with unwanted barking? The best answer seems to be negative reinforcement.

One training method is to stand calmly in front of your dog and when it barks say the word “Quiet” and then throw a glass of water in the dog’s face. Generally it doesn’t take very long (maybe two to three days of doing this on a regular basis) for the dog to get the message.

My sister has an out of control pug, but I don't think we would would resort to throwing water on her.

Burntcrow, I wonder if spraying water would work the same, or is it too "kind"? Cats hate water so much more than dogs that just the spraybottle works. Also, you (well, your sister) could try squeezing orange peels at the dogs face, just a gently pressing the (peeled) peels will do the trick. A little orange oil will spray at the dogs face, and I haven't met a dog (or a cat) who would like orange oil. Plus there is no water to wipe away.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    She's trying to scheme how to get the bandage off. I can tell because she keeps looking over at me, and then chewing on her foot on the leg where her bandage is.
    I know what you mean. When I had my cat in for her procedure... they bandaged her paw. She was beside herself. Wouldn't stop chewing at her paw until she was bald in one spot. However, it seems to have become a BAD habit of hers now... she won't stop biting at her paw. I don't know what to do about it. I personally love her with fur. Not crazy about those bald looking cats.

+ Reply to Thread