+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

FORT Fan
    I'm glad you found the Dane's owner as well. Its a tough decision to make whether or not to bring the animal to animal control and/or shelters. As many of them won't keep them long. Its very sad.

Drives me mad when people take in animals... only to let them out. Meaning letting them roam as they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    Mariner, what is ailing your critter?
    They are not quite sure. After x-rays, blood work, and a fecal sample (sorry if TMI), they determined her white blood count is high. They think it is probably a bacterial infection from something she ate. I never knew how many people throw chicken bones randomly on the ground until I owned a dog. I try to yank them out of her jaws but don't always succeed before she's at least managed to down some. She hasn't been herself for a few days. Tonight when I got home, she wanted to eat grass and then was panting and shivering. I called my vet who was about to close and he sent me to the emergency clinic.

FORT Fan
    Sorry to know about your dog, Mariner. If only our animals could tell us what wrong with them.... would make things so much easier.

Chicken bones are the worse... they splinter in their throats.

Hope your dog is feeling better soon!!

Thanks sweetdreams! Right now I'm eating and she's hoping for a bite (which she's not getting) so that's a good sign.

She is sporting a fetching blue bandage on the leg from which they took the blood sample.

ETA: Now that she's realized I'm not giving her human food she's eating her kibble which I take as a further good sign. I'm glad because otherwise I was supposed to go back to the emergency clinic (which is open from 6 pm to 8 am every day).
    Last edited by Mariner; 06-07-2005 at 12:45 AM.

They eat grass when they have tummy troubles, I know that much. I forgot to mention, previously, and it's too late to edit, the Dane owner had his mom feeding the dog when he was hospitalized...I made it sound like she was left alone.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

FORT Fan
    Thats a very good sign. Appetite back = meds working.

Thats the one thing that I don't have worry over... my cats don't often beg. However, when on the deck... if I'm not out there with my female cat or if she gets out there before I've swept the deck... she'll eat every last leaf she can find. Then she's puking for days. You'd think after all this time, she'd realize she can't digest them. I can't imagine them tasting all that good neither.

She's trying to scheme how to get the bandage off. I can tell because she keeps looking over at me, and then chewing on her foot on the leg where her bandage is.

Glad to hear that your dog is doing much better, Mariner. That reminds me, I've got to clean Simba's ears. One of his ears has an infection. Of course, this is nothing new for cocker spaniels. They are notorious for their ear infections.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    Glad to hear that your dog is doing much better, Mariner. That reminds me, I've got to clean Simba's ears. One of his ears has an infection. Of course, this is nothing new for cocker spaniels. They are notorious for their ear infections.
    That seems to come with big, floppy (but very cute) ears doesn't it? The only funny thing about the vet's instructions was to keep the dog quiet. She's a Jack Russell Terrier. How exactly am I supposed to accomplish that?

Can't believe I have never looked in this thread before.

Here is my dog Sasha and my brothers cat Harry.

I am allergic to cats.
    Last edited by JLuvs; 01-19-2006 at 04:46 PM.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread