+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3472000;
    Well, I would think there's something wrong with you if you didn't mourn your pet, Calilily. We had a Boston Terrier for almost 12 years and finally had to put him to sleep about a year and a half ago. I still miss him, especially now that summer is here and we are camping again. He loved to camp and sit on his own lawn chair in front of the campfire. Now it's more of a nostalgic kind of missing though. The heart wrenching pain has passed and I remember him with love. But I think I'll always miss him.

Kenzie was absolutely beautiful.
    Now that is a memory for smiles

Caliliy It is hard to lose a friend
    Mrd
    you just don't get over it, but eventually are able to think about them with smiles instead of tears. Like Lil Bit bt
    It has been awhile since we lost Duke and his food bowl is still sitting there.
    Newf There is no way I could watch that movie.
    Did you hear that the author adopted one of the puppies from the movie and it has a medical problem. They chose to keep the puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3472111;
    you just don't get over it, but eventually are able to think about them with smiles instead of tears.
    It has been awhile since we lost Duke and his food bowl is still sitting there.
    As well it should be. I still have Monas blanket next to her ashes. It's not on the table where she used to lay, but on the book case next to it. Joey lays on his blanket now on the table, and on his comforter on the bed.

I have a sign hanging in my kitchen that says, "A Spoiled Rotten Boston Terrier Lives Here". People have asked me why I don't take it down. I actually did move it to the right a little to make room for a little plaque with a pic of a Pug on it, but I still have Sams sign up too because he will always live in my heart.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

People can be so rude. :nono
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Lil Bit - I thought about you earlier. I have a friend who has 3 pugs and she and her husband went to visit his mother who has 2 pugs.... They are calling it PugFest and I do NOT think this will be an annual event. If she sends me pics, I will try to post them.

We saw Marley and Me last week and I'd already read the book. To me, the book was much more heartwrenching, but I still bawled at the end of the movie.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Gustav celebrates his 10th birthday today

I don't know if I've told the story here, but Gustav almost never was. The story goes back a little, to Bjorn. He had to give a urine sample for something, I don't remember why, and the vet found an unusually high number of cystine crystals. She couldn't figure out why, and wasn't really sure what to do about it. At about that same time, the national Newf magazine was buzzing with articles about cystinuria in Newfs, and the light went on. Bjorn had a DNA test that confirmed that he was positive. Since it is genetic, it meant that both of his parents were at least carriers. I called the breeder with the information, and she was devastated. She had been in the process of re-pairing Bjorn's parents, but stopped it immediately. As it turned out, she stopped it just a little too late, and two puppies were born. One had a bad cleft palette (unrelated to cystinuria issues) and had to be euthanized; the other was a strapping 2-pound bouncing baby boy.

That little boy thrived at his mamma's side, and often shared meal time with puppies from another litter born three days earlier. Despite their head start on development, the boy was able to hold his own with them.

Because the breeder is so conscientious, she started the process of having her entire kennel tested, including all of the puppies (I should point out that the test was NOT available when Bjorn's litter was bred.) The bouncing baby boy, now about 5 weeks old, was tested too, and came up positive. I got a long e-mail from the breeder, wanting to know what I thought she should do with a cystinuria-positive puppy. Euthanize? Give to a good home with full disclosure? What?

Heck, that was easy! I'd love to have him! By that time, we had a pretty good handle on Bjorn's condition and I was pretty sure that we (I was still married) could handle him and give him proper care. The breeder thought we were nuts, but said OK. The puppy that the breeder called Junior became Gustav.

As sort of a post-script, about a month after we picked Gustav up from Minnesota, I got a phone call from the breeder. Additional testing that she had done just before she released Gustav to us indicated that he is CLEAR of cystinuria! Apparently, the first test was done when he was too young, or the method was giving false positive. We tried to get the breeder to take full price for Gustav, but she insisted that since Bjorn was affected (even though she had no way of knowing when she sold him to us) that Gustav was a "replacement" under the health guarantee. She finally agreed to take $75, the cost of the DNA test.

And the rest, so they say, is history.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY Gustav!!

Happy Birthday Gustav!!! Wishing you many more.

I don't know if you'd told the story before but that's the first I've heard it. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed hearing it. Too bad all breeders aren't that conscientious.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Happy Birthday, Gustav! It's very refreshing to hear a story about such an honest businessperson.

+ Reply to Thread