+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1418Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Whoops! I'm a little skatter brained today... sorry!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3423807;
    I just got the call that my dog Kenzie died last night. She has had gone missing after dinner yesterday and my stepmom just found her body a couple of hours ago. She had stuck her head in a pipe over on the cow farm across from us and couldn't get it out. Somehow she broke her neck trying to get out.

I've never lost a pet like this before and I just can't wrap my head around it. She was only 3 years old.
    I am so very sorry for your loss.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3425748;
    Um, Henry is not a kitty . . .

The first year that I had Bjorn, he helped plant the potatoes. I dug trenches and flooded them to pre-soak the ground. Bjorn was more than happy to monitor the depth of water, which he did by running back and forth through the trenches. Later, when I was setting the seed potatoes in the trenches, he very helpfully started picking them up and bringing them back to me. Such a good boy!
    I bet those were a couple of fun filled days...

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3425748;
    Um, Henry is not a kitty . . .

The first year that I had Bjorn, he helped plant the potatoes. I dug trenches and flooded them to pre-soak the ground. Bjorn was more than happy to monitor the depth of water, which he did by running back and forth through the trenches. Later, when I was setting the seed potatoes in the trenches, he very helpfully started picking them up and bringing them back to me. Such a good boy!
    You should train the Newfs to help you dig the potatoes up when it's time for the harvest!

I'm sure Henry will stop guarding the okra or watching it grow or whatever it is that he is doing! It's just that the poor little plants are only about 3 inches tall. He hasn't tried to dig them up. Just napped on them.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I've been trying to teach our dogs to pick up sticks in the yard. (we've had a lot of wind lately) They love chasing and fetching sticks, but to just go out and pick them up and pile them in one spot... I haven't had much luck.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3426935;
    I've been trying to teach our dogs to pick up sticks in the yard. (we've had a lot of wind lately) They love chasing and fetching sticks, but to just go out and pick them up and pile them in one spot... I haven't had much luck.
    Good luck with that.

Waldo loves sticks, but he won't make a pile of them either.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Tell me about it. Today I went out and cleaned up a portion of the yard. I'd pick up a few sticks, throw them on the pile and one of the dogs would go grab it and run off with it. It was sort of a 2 steps forward 3 steps back kind of thing, so the next time, they get to stay inside.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

MRD

That's what I was thinking would happen. If I piled up the sticks, Waldo would think I had made a pile of toys for him to scatter around again.

What is it about dogs and sticks? My lab loves chewing on them and he would fetch all day if I let him.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by agamergirl;3427464;
    What is it about dogs and sticks? My lab loves chewing on them and he would fetch all day if I let him.
    My two JRT's don't play with sticks. In fact, they turn their noses up at them, snobs that they are. Poor Waldo doesn't know how to play with regular dog toys, he plays with sticks which leads me to believe that before he found us, he wasn't ever given toys and was probably kept outside most of the time. We'll never know his real story, but I can guess some of it. And the part I can guess isn't good.
    But he does get a LOT of joy out of sticks.

+ Reply to Thread