+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1421Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3417231;
    Waldo isn't dumb, he's intellectually challenged. (I must be as well, because I had to google intellectually to make sure I spelled it correctly.)

Sometimes, I wish my dogs were a bit dumber. I wouldn't have to work so hard at keeping them out of stuff! I'm just grateful they haven't figured out how to unlock the front door... yet.
    Oh god help me if mine ever do. Waldo's the only one tall enough. Which is how we know he's the one getting in the kitchen garbage and he looks at us like "how did you know it was me and not the other 2?" Rosie can't reach the top of the can if she stands on her hind feet and stretches. And Bogie apparantly is smart enough to never go near it because he probably could stretch out enough on his hind legs to get something if the can was full. At least he doesn't do it when I'm in the room to see him, anyway.
    Last edited by MRD; 04-17-2009 at 05:19 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Here (I hope) are pictures of the swallows that I wrote about in an earlier post. This week they have been busy building their nest. This is day 1-5.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Today, I thought they would start lining the nest, but they added another layer. If you look close you can see the dry lighter mud layer on the bottom.
    They got nervous when I went outside to take pictures, so I'm having to take them from inside.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3417231;
    Sometimes, I wish my dogs were a bit dumber. I wouldn't have to work so hard at keeping them out of stuff! I'm just grateful they haven't figured out how to unlock the front door... yet.
    Our Ricky does know how to open the outside doors in the house as they are the lever kind of knob and he figured that out the first week he was here. He loves letting the others out and then running back inside and hiding under the kitchen table. I love how he thinks I can't see him under there. In his perfect world, the other dogs would high tail it out of here and he'd be a super-spoiled only dog.

Very cool pics of the swallows inthegarden....Is that outside your house? My Mom always used to say "If a bird builds a nest outside your back door, be flattered they chose youu and use the front door"

Buddy (our 8 year old Boxer) has figured out how to get in the garbage from the first few days. We've tried a baby proof latch, a screen door hook, and now we have a pad lock on it. That's the only way he'll stay out of the stainless steel, step lever to open it trashcan. He's a very smart "old man".

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;3417767;
    Buddy (our 8 year old Boxer) has figured out how to get in the garbage from the first few days. We've tried a baby proof latch, a screen door hook, and now we have a pad lock on it. That's the only way he'll stay out of the stainless steel, step lever to open it trashcan. He's a very smart "old man".

THIS made me LAUGH!! I have a wonderful visual.

Here is a picture my Mom got of their MAX earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;3417767;
    Oh, we used to have that problem with our old dog. We tried sprinkling cayenne pepper on the trash to see if the taste would deter her, that didn't work at all, then we tried putting mouse traps on the trash can and later on the top layer of trash hoping that the sound would scare her off, but we set them off on our fingers more than anything else. Then we frequently resorted to putting the trash can on a chair or when things were really dire, a stool. She was a Brittany, very crafty, would eat anything, and of course, crazy.

Do you know that clear plastic rug runner stuff people sometimes put in their hallways to keep the carpet nice and clean that has small pointy spikes on the bottom to keep it from slipping around on the carpet? If you surround your trash can oh maybe 2 or 3 feet with that so that the spiky parts are turned up your dog will learn not to go near the trash. Just remember to wear your shoes around it.

That is what is reccomended to use to train cats to stay off of counters. No animal will walk on it and they will eventually learn to stay away long after you put the plastic runner stuff away.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

We just keep our garbage can under the sink. Our dogs could never figure out how to open up the cabinet door to get inside!

I like that idea of putting that carpet runner thing upside down so the spikes stick up. Knowing us, though, I could definitely hear a lot of choice words from the shoeless contingent around here.

He's beautiful, Gabriel.

+ Reply to Thread