+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

MRD would you be able to fence the creek so they can't get out? We have a wet weather creek, the fence has to be held up high so water and debris can go under the fence when it rains.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3416102;
    Of course, knowing Waldo, he'll be scared of the doggie door and will have to be bribed into learning how to use it. He's got this thing now, where he can't go in the door unless he goes behind whoever is holding the door for him. He goes out of his way, to go behind us which usually means he's now squeezing his big self through the little space between us and the door instead of going in front of us where the door is WIDE open.
    What kind of dog is Waldo? He sounds like a little character

Kenzie was a full fledged monster when we got her. She had already been through 4 homes (she has a doggy form of ADHD which makes training her VERY difficult) and was sitting in the humane society when my dad found her and didn't have the heart to leave her. She has eaten through about 5 leashes in the last 3 years we've had her so we've given up on trying to keep one around. One night I was sleeping on the floor in the basement and somehow the stinker managed to kick my pillow out from under my head in the wee hours of the morning and replace it with her belly. I woke up with HER as my pillow! Though she is some major work she is my favorite dog. I just love her to death and don't know what I would do without her.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3416366;
    What kind of dog is Waldo? He sounds like a little character

I think character is putting it mildly. I wonder if Waldo sticks his nose is everyones butt yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3416213;
    Actually, Waldo is exhibiting good doggie manners. He accepts you as pack leader, and waits for you to lead him out on his next adventure.
    It's Newfherder Millan! Actually when I saw the post about Waldo I thought "Ceaser always says no dogs in front!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3416261;
    I was just going to say that Newf. We have trained our Mastiff that she is never first on the stairs or through a door. It helps keep her somewhat orderly
    Well that's not the case here. He MUST be first on the stairs to the point where he's almost knocked me down them, getting past me to get up or down them first. It's only with the outside doors he is passive.

I wish he'd be more passive on the stairs.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Well, he is Waldo after all I just can't have a 150 pound dog smashing by me on the stairs. I'm really a little dog person (go figure) but my hubby really wanted this dog, and I spend the most time with her so I had to train her so she wouldn't knock over guests and especially my elderly mother. In fact, she is really "my dog" now, and I love her to bits. . I put her in the yard when I had a sales guy in here yesterday and she was not happy at all about a stranger in the house and not being able to stand in front of me. She's friendly but scares people because of her size. My hubby travels a lot so that doesn't particularly bother me. I have seen more than one person start down my drive, hear her bark, and turn around. My Shih Tzu, on the other hand, has free reign on the stairs and since she is so old, I pretty much spoil her now. She is still the boss of the big dog, which cracks me up.

MRD

Waldo is a golden retriever/chow mix that was abused and dumped. He also suffers from doggie ADHD. But he's come a long way since we got him. He's just so sweet and goofy, I can't imagine anyone abusing him, but you can still see signs of it in his actions occasionally. He weighs about 75 pounds now and we think he's about 4 years old.
    He's become very protective of us and the house since we moved. We have 2 JRT's too and before we moved, he was very deferential to them, but the new house seems to have put him on equal footing with them. He just wants to be loved and to run around the yard and play with sticks.

I don't know what we'll do about the creek. That area of the yard is already fenced and it's also VERY overgrown and needs a LOT of yard work. All we have to do now is tie in a section of fence between the creek fence and the house and most of the yard will be inside fencing and all the dogs will have room to run around. We'll be getting a survey soon, because we don't know if we actually own the creek or not.

Damn right you'll be getting a survey if you're going to put up a fence
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3416856;
    Damn right you'll be getting a survey if you're going to put up a fence
    You know it. I used to see the results of what happens without a survey when fencing. In fact, I bought a house that the neighbors had to Quit Claim us a foot at the property line as they had put up a fence without benefit of a survey and the closing couldn't go through until we resolved the property line/fence dispute.

Newf, we recently opened a new exhibit in the museum and have some old surveys from the 1820's in it. FASCINATING (to me, maybe not to anyone else) especially as it's still the colonial survery method and not the Jefferson method. I particularly love some of the legal descriptions. One reads: "start at the section of property outlined in the last will and testament of Willis Green." Of course, we don't have Mr. Greens Will, so who the heck knows exactly where Mr. Greens property was. I'm assuming it's recorded somewhere.

Waldo is going to get to meet his "Unkie" John this weekend. My brother is coming to visit. He used to have a Golden Retriver that he claims was the smartest dog in the world, so I'm gearing up to hear how dumb Waldo is.
    He may be dumb, but he's mine, loveable and goofy as he is. As one of my friends says: "Hey, he's blonde". (she's blonde too, so I guess she can say that. )

Waldo isn't dumb, he's intellectually challenged. (I must be as well, because I had to google intellectually to make sure I spelled it correctly.)

Sometimes, I wish my dogs were a bit dumber. I wouldn't have to work so hard at keeping them out of stuff! I'm just grateful they haven't figured out how to unlock the front door... yet.

+ Reply to Thread