+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

I just posted about Jelly Beans in the food thread! Mr. Doxie got me a giant bag of Jelly Belly beans and he spent forever going through the "mix 'n match" bins and got MY favorite flavors. So, dogs won't be getting any unless I happen to drop one because there aren't any flavors in that bag that I don't like.

Simon and Henry did get a little bit of ham and they each got a rawhide bone. Of course, the bones are identical and they have been fighting over the same one.

Henry is MOST distressed because of the weather and I think he will probably be taking to his bed very soon and staying there for the next day or so. We've got some rough thunderstorms going on right now and are expecting worse weather tomorrow!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

It's official!

The Obamas' Dog Has Arrived – at Last! - Barack Obama, Michelle Obama : People.com

The Obamas' Dog Has Arrived at Last!
    By Sandra Sobieraj-Westfall

Forget about hunting for Easter eggs. The president's daughters have a much better treat in store this holiday weekend: a new dog!

After months of anticipation, a 6-month-old Portuguese Water Dog named Bo is now calling the White House home.

First, the name. According to The Washington Post, which published confirmation of the White House dog news Sunday, Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, chose the name because their cousins have a cat named Bo and because Mrs. Obama's father was nicknamed Diddley, as in Bo Diddley. The dog is a gift from Sen. Ted Kennedy, who owns three dogs of the same breed, known for high spirits and said to be a good fit for kids with allergies (such as Malia). Kennedy had been lobbying the Obamas to get a Portuguese Water Dog (or PWD) for months.

Top Secret Meeting
    The newspaper reports that the Obama girls are delighted they've been waiting anxiously since their dad promised them a dog during his presidential campaign and that the family, first-time dog owners, are still deciding where Bo will sleep and who will walk and feed him. Under a veil of secrecy, the Post reports, Bo actually made a trip to the White House earlier to meet the family. "The Meeting," as it was called by staffers, was a success.

But the highly-orchestrated canine delivery procedure didn't go without a few hitches.

First, news began to circulate that a Portuguese Water Dog by the name of Charlie had been selected for the First Family after a Web site called firstdogcharlie.com posted the information, and a photo, Saturday. The White House called the photo "bogus" and told news organizations (including PEOPLE) that the First Dog would make its debut Tuesday although Bo, it is now apparent, was already at the White House over the weekend.

Dogged by Questions
    Then there are the questions about the dog's origins that are sure to bedevil the Administration. The Obamas originally discussed rescuing a dog from a shelter. But valuable and highly-bred PWDs rarely show up at shelters. Bo is said to have lived with a family that decided not to keep him, but that won't likely satisfy animal rescue advocates who wanted the Obamas to take in a stray.

To help ease disappointment, according to The Post, the family will make a donation to the District of Columbia Humane Society.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3411486;
    MRD, I spent thirty minutes at Walgreens digging for the bag with the most black jellybeans. I found one that was loaded. When I got home I discovered that they weren't black, they were grape. I had bought a lousy bag of jellybeans with Cherry,Strawberry, Lime, Lemon and Grape. Not a licorice one in the whole bunch.
    I have seen bags of just black jelly beans before.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I say yuk to all jelly beans, not just the black ones. Too sugary for my tastes. My husband always liked the black ones though.

I'm happy for the Obama's. A new puppy is always so much fun. Especially if you have help with the training, which they probably will.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3411766;
    I have seen bags of just black jelly beans before.

And that is a sin and a shame that I haven't!!! Where can I find them???
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

well, back to animals...

my dog is doing fine now - just awful that he had to suffer the weekend until the vet gets in. Couldn't even see my regular, but her associate did a fine job. his ripped claw was both inflamed and had an infection going. He now has a green bootie and 2 bottles of pills (anti imflamatory and antibiotic)

we are going to meet with her in a couple weeks to look at removing the dew claws (which means going under, and he is 8 yrs old) -- or putting a plan in place to prevent this if possible (wrap the areas before playing?) and what to do if it does (emergency clinic? or what???).

He is snoozing comfortably for the first time in days.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Glad to hear all is better. I know that that is a lot off your mind.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Dez seems to want to snuggle with Miss Sashay or Miss Celie, but they are not cooperating very well. Miss Celie has come the closest, but dealt with Dez being close to her for as long as she could, and then got up and moved. I think it will eventually come. I think Stalker Celie is confused!

Miss Sashay, so far, has only enjoyed snuggling with me, but I'm holding out hope for Dez!

I bet eventually y'all will be one big happy family! When are you going to post some pictures of the kitties?
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Schmoo, glad he's ok. Hope it heals quickly.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread