+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1269Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

runwayrules - what IS that cuties name?

Do any of your dogs have skin allergies? This morning I had to take Toby into the Vet again, and she told me he has skin allergies. We have tried changing his diet,
    his bed, shampoos... so now she wants to give him a monthly injection, she said the oral medications are costly. Poor little fellow, is scratching himself to death. I was wondering if any of you had experienced this with your pups and if you had any helpful hints as what to do.

Something that always bothers me, is when I see dogs riding in the back of a truck running from side to side with no restraints.
    I was in the feed store buying a crate for Toby ( he is terrified of riding and you can't hold him) and the man behind me was telling me about the way he transports his dog.
    He has two eye hooks attached to each rail on his truck. He takes two leads and fastens both to the dogs collar, then he takes each lead and fastens them to the eye hooks on opposite sides of the truck and tightens the leads, preventing the dog from moving from side to side and jumping out.
    I still bought the crate.

Our Boston Terrier had terrible skin allergies. It was something in the grass because it only flared up in the spring and summer when he was able to be outside. Our vet had him on a regimen of prednizone. I don't remember how much he took, but it was the smallest amount that was able to keep it controlled. He would scratch himself raw without it, the poor little guy. your vet should be able to recommend something. As for cost, the meds for the dog were really cheap, compared to the exact same meds that I took once.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Simon used to have skin allergies too. We never could pin down exactly what caused it, but it must have something in the grass or yard where we used to live. After we moved, he stopped having the skin porblems. Our vet gave him cortisone shots about every three months for the allergies.

We use a Oatmeal dog shampoo (Target or Wal-Mart) on both dogs now and it keeps them pretty much itch-free.

Fish oil is also good for skin and coats. My parents' Springer Spaniel was having some skin probs and their vet suggested putting fish oil on his food. As you can imagine, this led to some VERY foul breath but mom found some fish oil "gel capsules" and now she just pokes a tiny hole in one of those and hides it in his dinner and his coat (and breath!) have cleared up. Not sure where she got those, but I can find out. I hope Toby feels better soon!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3410511;
    Our Boston Terrier had terrible skin allergies. It was something in the grass because it only flared up in the spring and summer when he was able to be outside. Our vet had him on a regimen of prednizone. I don't remember how much he took, but it was the smallest amount that was able to keep it controlled. He would scratch himself raw without it, the poor little guy. your vet should be able to recommend something. As for cost, the meds for the dog were really cheap, compared to the exact same meds that I took once.
    My sister has a fairly young Boston Terrier. I don't know how old they are when you get them spayed but anyway, my sister said that the dog has some nasty looking rash on her stomach. She took her in to get it seen to before getting her spayed and the vet said that she's going through puberty and the rash is acne. I had never heard of that before.

I hate when things happen to my dog on weekends. He tore his dew claw AGAIN. Not bad enough to take to the emergency clinic, but he is driving us crazy. he won't lay down. he just keeps walking around in circles, then sits for about 20 seconds then around again. He won't go 'outside' cause the grass hits his paw and he panics. Its going to be a very long weekend.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3410818;
    I hate when things happen to my dog on weekends. He tore his dew claw AGAIN. Not bad enough to take to the emergency clinic, but he is driving us crazy. he won't lay down. he just keeps walking around in circles, then sits for about 20 seconds then around again. He won't go 'outside' cause the grass hits his paw and he panics. Its going to be a very long weekend.
    Wonder if you could give him an aspirin or some Tylenol for the pain? I hate for him to hurt all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3410818;
    For minor paw mishaps-I take a plastic cup fill halfway with Hydrogen Peroxide and dip the paw in, take it out and let fizz a minute, pat dry off and dip again, I repeat about 3 times. Last time pat dry it and then apply plain Neosporin. They always shake the paw, so do it someplace that you can clean up. Hope this helps.

Lil Bitand Doxie Thank you for your help on the skin allegeries.

MRD

Dogs can take baby aspirin, but not tylenol or Ibruprofen.

Google over the counter meds for dogs and it should give you the dosage information on how much baby aspirin you can give.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

we made it through the night. I know it is bothering him, but he doesnt seem to be in a lot of pain (or we would have taken him to the emergency clinic no matter what they say) - he is moping, and babying that leg - and I'll get him into his regular vet asap tomorrow. he did get up on the bed for awhile, and is eating/going outside 'when he really has to'.
    I should wrap it, but he sees the stuff and runs away from me.
    I watched a video on line about how to wrap it, but the dog in the video just laid there nicely. Dozer will not lay there, he will not let me close if he sees anything in my hands besides food.

I really would like him to see his regular vet - this happens 3-4 times a year anymore - he plays so hard - maybe it is time to see about having those removed.

he isn't whining - but is babying it a lot - and we can see it sticking out. but there was only a little blood when he first did it.

I hate seeing my baby hurt in any way.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

+ Reply to Thread