+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

This is a cool story.
    Dog overboard found four months later
    Mon Apr 6, 4:21 am ET

SYDNEY (AFP) A pet dog that fell overboard in rough seas off Australia has been reunited with its owners after surviving alone on an island for four months, reports said.

Sophie Tucker, apparently named after a late US entertainer, fell overboard as Jan Griffith and her family sailed through choppy waters off the northeast Queensland coast in November.

The dog was believed to have drowned and Griffith said the family was devastated.

But out of sight of the family, Sophie Tucker was swimming doggedly and finally made it to St Bees Island, five nautical miles away, and began the sort of life popularised by the TV reality show "Survivor."

She was returned to her family last week when Griffith contacted rangers who had captured a dog that had been living off feral goats on the largely uninhabited island, in the faint hope it might be their long-lost pet.

When the Griffiths met the rangers' boat bringing the dog to the mainland they found that it was indeed Sophie Tucker on board.

"We called the dog and she started whimpering and banging the cage and they let her out and she just about flattened us," Griffith told the national AAP news agency.

"She wriggled around like a mad thing."

Griffith said that when the dog was first spotted on the island she had been in poor condition.

"And then all of a sudden she started to look good and it was when the rangers had found baby goat carcasses so she'd started eating baby goats," she said.

Sophie Tucker, a member of the Australian cattle dog breed, had been quick to readjust to the comforts of home, complete with airconditioning, Griffiths said.

"She surprised us all. She was a house dog and look what she's done, she's swum over five nautical miles, she's managed to live off the land all on her own," Griffiths said.

"We wish she could talk, we truly do."

MRD

Newf, that's fabulous news for you and Josey.

BT, Paolo is one lucky dog, as is Sophie Tucker above.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

brunette trixe - cute little bugger there. Thank You for rescuing him.

Newfherder - Great news on your adoption of Josey.

Unklescott- what a wonderful story with a happy ending.

Unk we have a Blue Heeler and there is no doubt he could survive without us.

When I walk in the mornings I take our dogs with me. Our german Sheppard passed away last October and I have been having trouble with my Blue Heeler bullying my lab. He wants to be in front and he will jump at the Labs head to try and turn him. We walk across a creek that has a 2' high wall on one side. As we got to the bridge my lab was out front, the blue heeler runs around me and jumps at the Labs head. just as he jumps my lab stoppedand ducked his head causing the blue heeler to crash into the wall. My lab looked up at me and had a look of pleasure on his face and pranced the rest of the walk. The blue heeler got up shook himself off, he didn't try that trick again. He can be such a nasty little devil, but wouldn't trade him for the world when we are in with our cattle.

I love my Blue Heeler. He is smart and as loyal as they come. I have read stories before of their survivor ability, and finding their owners. They do seem to be one owner type dogs. Once you are accepted, they do anything they can to please you.

as my brother said, if he isn't doing what we want, we aren't asking it correctly.

That is how ours is, I can just talk to him and he knows what I am saying.
    I got him from a man at cattle auction we went to. The man had chained him to a tree and had beat him because he wasn't listening. I ask if I could buy him and he said " Just take the (badword) I don't want him." That was 5 yrs. ago.
    I had to work with him, to build trust. He gets nervous around men. I can walk out in the pasture to feed and he keeps the cows back until I get the feed in the troughs.

What a great story about Sophie Tucker, that family must be so happy to have their pooch home again.

inthegarden Your lab finally got back at the "bully", huh?
    Also, I'm sorry about your German Shepherd, it's never easy when one of our furry family gets called to the Rainbow Bridge.

Thanks BT, I've lost pets before, but this lose was really hard. My constant companion 24/7. He maintained order, was never mean or aggressive to the other dogs or cats, but they all listened when he spoke. He was such a joy, could play frisbee, he would play basketball with us, we would dribble the ball and he would grab it with his front paws and knock it away with his nose, my son used him as a practice buddy. You could knock a tennis ball for hours, for him to chase and you wore out before he did. He would alert our outdoor cats with a bark when there was danger and they would run to the shop for cover.
    I would boil eggs for him at Easter and he could find them.
    Sorry, I just got started and couldn't stop.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3405791;
    Thanks BT, I've lost pets before, but this lose was really hard. My constant companion 24/7. He maintained order, was never mean or aggressive to the other dogs or cats, but they all listened when he spoke. He was such a joy, could play frisbee, he would play basketball with us, we would dribble the ball and he would grab it with his front paws and knock it away with his nose, my son used him as a practice buddy. You could knock a tennis ball for hours, for him to chase and you wore out before he did. He would alert our outdoor cats with a bark when there was danger and they would run to the shop for cover.
    I would boil eggs for him at Easter and he could find them.
    Sorry, I just got started and couldn't stop.
    Oh please tell us more stories. We love to read them. I could tell you about the time Mona rest her soul (a tabby cat, you may have seen the LOOK) stole a half grilled cheese from me and refused to give it up until she was about 1/2 done with it.

His name was Duke, because he acted like John Wayne. He loved to swim, I would take him to the pond and he would chase dragonflies, round and round. There was a stray momma dog that lived in the woods behind us. Duke was a
    year old and one day he brought home a Lad mix puppy, probably from the mama dog. We figured that she would come and get the puppy, that night she tried and Duke wouldn't let her have him back, so we, actually Duke keep him. Duke guarded him, raised him. They were best buds. When the pup, Rusty, was about 4 yrs. We heard Duke raising cane, he ran to us still raising cane, so we went and checked, Rusty was having a seizure. Rusty is on meds
    now, but Duke could tell when he was getting ready to have a seizure and would come and get us. Next, came Rosie the cat, he brought her up too. She had 5 kittens, Duke loved all of them would let them climb on him and chase his tail. I still have all of them. They are another story. EIEIO

+ Reply to Thread