+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1336Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;3402726;
    Redlady - I'm glad your kitty is on the mend, and really happy that it's completely treatable.

MRD - Here's hoping Bogie is back to normal real soon.

gabriel - I think I need to learn Joey's secret. I've been trying to lose weight for some time now. I know my problem is that I have absolutely NO willpower. I'm on the see-food diet - I see food; I eat it. (And don't tell me to eat cat food!)
    His secret is that it is easier for Daddy to put his food away at night, but Daddy can't do the same for himself. Daddy has the same see food diet as you.

Hey everyone I just wanted to pop in quick to remind anyone with a dog, (especially small dogs) That we must be extra careful with human foods and human food scraps. Not just chocolate! It's been becoming more common knowledge lately about the dangers of Raisins and Grapes for dogs, but there are a lot more foods on the toxic list that one might not be aware of.

We just had a very bad scare with Murphy the other night when my mother accidentally let him outside unsupervised for a while and he started making snacks of our compost pile. He had a nasty seizure and spent 4 hours convulsing and terrified.(Basically having a very bad trip) Before finally throwing up on our bed. Ew! Being the diligent mommy I am, I poked around in his sick to look for anything that I thought might be the culprit and I found many things including Tomato stems and Potato eyes. I never knew before that night that those things are toxic to dogs!

We brought him to the vet the next morning to be checked out and his little tonsils were swollen so badly they were obstructing his airway.

We are going to be putting a little fence around our compost pile in case he ever slips out of the house again.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Good for you finding the problem-- many people wouldn't even check. And, I'm glad Murphy is ok. That whole story sounds scary!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Glad your dog is okay Sounds like a case of "garbage gut" and may be because the food was decomposing (google has some good links). I don't know about the potato eyes etc. but this site has some common foods that are toxic for dogs. I just found out about onions a while ago:

Toxic Foods and Plants for Dogs

Redlady goods news for your kitty!

MRD my oldest dog is 9 and I've noticed that weather affects his mobility and when he wakes up from a nap he seems a little stiff.

A warning to cat owners- Easter Lilies are very TOXIC to our kitties.

I rarely feed any of our gang anything but meat scraps outside of their regular diet but my cocker spaniel Princess absolutely loves bananas. She's as blind as a bat but somehow if I wave a banana in her direction she's all over it. Selective vision I think.

Bananas? That is too funny.

Roxie loves apples.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

My little 15 year old Shih Tzu is almost blind, and mostly deaf. She has been having stomach problems the last couple of days also. My other dog is an English Mastiff. I have been watching more closely when they go out in the yard since the little one is a bit sick. Big doggie is always done first and has been sitting on the edge of the patio watching and waiting for the little one. She never runs up to the door. When the little one is done, she waits patiently for her and walks behind her up to the doors and waits for the little one to yip to get in. Dogs are so sweet

My stepmom is a very active animal activist. Every year she goes to one or two of the indian reservations in our state to help give free vet care (she isnt a vet- just a volunteer) to the poorest counties in the nation. About 4 years ago she ended up bringing a dog home with her.

This beautiful little labradoodle was only a two month old puppy when my stepmom confiscated her from a horrible and (for me) unimagineable situation. The family who had her had been using her as a target to teach pit bulls how to dog fight. She had been so badly beaten and battered by the pit bulls that she had internal bleeding and needed surgery to save her life. Keep in mind, this was a two month old puppy. She had never known any kindness in her whole two months of life until my stepmom fought to prevent her from going back to that horrible family who had her. They hadn't even named her.

Tatonka (we name my stepmom gave her is the Lakota word for buffalo because they had to shave her fluffy little butt for the surgery so that is what she looked like) dosn't give her trust easily. She will only go within 10 feet of 3 people in this entire world because those first few months of unkindness altered her forever. I am one of those three and my SM and dad are the other two.

I love and admire my stepmom for all she has done to help animals like Tatonka find a little place in this world when so many others would have given up on them because of their situation. I have already been told several times that I am to inherit her after my parents pass away because if she were to go to the humane society or another home she would probably end up being euthanized due to her lack of trust.

I cant tell you how good it makes me feel to have her come up and seek my attention when she runs away from almost everyone else. She has touched my heart in ways our other two dogs havent (although I love them all equally )
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

+ Reply to Thread