+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

prhoshay, I missed that one. So another gurl or a boy this time???
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I found this article interesting.
    Little girl gets into the heart, mind of a distant, wary dog - USATODAY.com
    By Sharon L. Peters, USA TODAY
    This is one of those stories that stretches the bounds of credibility. You can choose to believe it or not. All I can do is swear it's absolutely true.

Nearly a year ago, a beautiful young husky landed at the rural animal shelter where I volunteer, brought in after being spotted alone in a snowy field. Days passed and no one claimed her so she got a name — Alpine —and efforts commenced to find her a home.

Alpine seemed distant, watchful, wary of people — a fairly common reaction when a dog finds itself in a new environment and is figuring out new survival techniques. But as weeks passed, it became clear that this was not a temporary condition. Her aloofness was extreme (even for a husky, which is generally not an instant-bonding dog like, say, a Lab), and time and our displays of love were having no impact.

She loved going for walks, but she did not regard this as a time for connecting with a human or getting her ears rubbed. The dog walker was merely the thing at the end of the leash that allowed her to cover some ground. She was always polite, never aggressive, but she moved away when physical contact seemed likely. And, in fact, it was only when someone entered her run carrying a leash that she approached; if the person was empty-handed, she'd move to the back.

As winter turned to spring, then summer, she proved herself to be a prodigious fence-climber (the shelter's 8-footer was easy sport) and escape artist that could get out of almost anything. This wanderlust was yet another quality unappealing to people who were seeking a loving pet.
    FIND MORE STORIES IN: Oklahoma | Grace | Alpine

Eventually, someone gave her a chance. But Alpine ran off repeatedly, and soon she was back at the shelter. Next came a couple with a rambunctious puppy. They understood that they'd have to give Alpine time and space to assess things; that when she licked her lips she was signaling stress and she wanted them to back off a little; and that they'd have to monitor their massive pup to make sure he didn't push too much. That one lasted a weekend. Alpine had been stressed by many things, not least of all the puppy, and tried to escape. When she couldn't, she pinned the pup to the ground. No blood was spilled; it appears she was engaging in dog-style puppy control, but that was that.

Back in the shelter, Alpine remained at the back of her kennel when visitors arrived. She continued to be polite but cool to those of us who walked her and cared for her. She wasn't depressed. She just seemed to have a narrow view of her life role, which was to patrol the hallway along the back runs at night, protect the other dogs from interlopers (she killed a raccoon that snuck in), and behave perfectly on walks. The director of this no-kill shelter, aware of our growing concern, kept saying, "It just takes one, one right person, and Alpine will have a forever home."

Two months ago the shelter got a call from a mother with two little girls who wanted to be volunteer dog walkers. But, she said, one of the girls "talks to animals," and if doing that at the shelter would rain ridicule upon the child, they wouldn't come. She was assured that no one would make fun of the girl, and soon they showed up. Within seconds, tiny 6-year-old Grace spotted a dog on a blanket in the office, sat with it, and announced that its tummy hurt. In fact, the dog had just been spayed and had been restless all afternoon. It settled down fully with Grace.

Grace made her way through the shelter, stopping at times and putting her hand in a dog's mouth, as that, her mother explained, is how she communicates best with them. This hand-in-mouth thing is absolutely not done in shelters, but the dogs were so calm and responsive, it was allowed. Soon dogs were literally holding their mouths open as the girl approached their gates.

She spent extra time with one, then said it had sore teeth and wanted something to chew on. It was a teething puppy.

When Grace approached Alpine's kennel, the husky approached the girl. They stood together quietly. Alpine, the girl finally offered, missed the dog she had grown up with, and that's why she runs away — to find him. No other information was shared. "Alpine doesn't want to talk anymore," the girl said, turning her attention to walking dogs.

Days later, the mom and girls returned to walk dogs again. Alpine had been on Grace's mind, so the girl and the dog sat together, oblivious to all around them. Alpine seemed happy, almost affectionate. "She can come home with us," Grace said at last. "She's not going to run away anymore."

There were reservations all around, of course. The parents brought in their three dogs to meet Alpine, which went well, and after much candid conversation — "It'll be OK," Grace kept saying, "I'll talk to her" — the family was allowed to take the husky.

Alpine has been with her family for two months now. She has never left her yard, even though there's just an easy-to-climb 4-foot fence. She's attached to all the pets and humans. And this snow dog that couldn't be forced into the shelter's indoor kennels at night sleeps happily in the girls' bedroom.

I can't explain it.

I can only swear it's true.

MRD

Wow, that's an amazing story. Such a heartwarmer. Thanks for posting it.

I'm so sorry I've missed so many stories lately. I'm trying to catch up. Just know that I think of all your furry family members often.

I'm so glad to be home. After a week being gone, I missed my three kitts something AWFUL! I love them all sooo very, very much! =^.^=
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

That was a great story, Unk. I wish I could talk to animals like that little girl, what a special gift.

MRD

I don't think I really want to know exactly what Waldo is thinking.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Well, she's here, and she is 14 months old! She is a classic Maine Coon, blue/white. I really wanted the 18 pound male that the breeder had, but she was not about to part with him. They are heartmates. He is black and white, and his name is, of all things, is Boo-Boo! He is gorgeous and mushy. Maine Coons don't reach their full size until 3-4 years old. I don't know what this baby's name is yet, but she came here with the name 'Baby Girl'.

My gurls are not happy. I'm keeping them separated for the first few days, maybe even a week.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

You must post pictures soon. My mom always wanted a Maine Coon Cat.

Welcome to FORT Baby Girl

Welcome to the FORT little one!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3372407;
    Well, she's here, and she is 14 months old! She is a classic Maine Coon, blue/white. I really wanted the 18 pound male that the breeder had, but she was not about to part with him. They are heartmates. He is black and white, and his name is, of all things, is Boo-Boo! He is gorgeous and mushy. Maine Coons don't reach their full size until 3-4 years old. I don't know what this baby's name is yet, but she came here with the name 'Baby Girl'.

My gurls are not happy. I'm keeping them separated for the first few days, maybe even a week.
    Congrats! I can't wait to see pictures of her! I bet your gurls will end up happier with her than they would with a big BOY

I say we all suggest some names for "our" newest furry friend!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread