+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

My son's girlfriend bought one of those lazer pointer things to play with the cats. The gizmo actually looks like a little mouse. I told her she can't play with them for too long at a time. They're not used to all that activity. They need their rest! They're used to sleeping all day. Poor kitties. I think they're in for a workout.

and don't point it at kitty eyes.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

By the way, my gassy gurl is able to get that way on dry food, too. It's just something about her innards, guess. It's the breath problem that can arise when I feed moist food that I really, really hate!

There is a good chance that I have a new resident moving in very, very soon and, I'm hoping, that she's not on moist food. If she is, she won't be for long!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3369824;
    By the way, my gassy gurl is able to get that way on dry food, too. It's just something about her innards, guess. It's the breath problem that can arise when I feed moist food that I really, really hate!

There is a good chance that I have a new resident moving in very, very soon and, I'm hoping, that she's not on moist food. If she is, she won't be for long!
    Not sure f you have cats or dogs, but the moist food is more beneficial. Having been through CRF with more than 1 cat, the biggest contributor was the dry food.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3370851;
    Not sure f you have cats or dogs, but the moist food is more beneficial. Having been through CRF with more than 1 cat, the biggest contributor was the dry food.
    My vet also recommends a diet of equal wet & dry , but in Joeys case more wet. It turns out that cats need all the moisture from food they can get because cats drink water to drink water for cleansing their mouths out mostly and for cleaning themselves, cats generally do have the I'm thirsty trigger built in.

I found this on the internet also, it mirrors what Dr. Bennetts told me:

I'd also advise /keeping/ mom and kittens on wet/canned food for their entire lives. Fact of the matter is, wet food is actually healthier for cats.

The reason is, in the wild, cats normally get most of their water content directly from their prey items and drink very little. Domestic cats are no different, and because of the fact that they are designed to take in water with their meal, they have a very low thirst drive. Cats often just don't drink enough. This leads to urinary tract infections and crystals. The bit about dry food being better for teeth is a myth and has not been proven in the least (cats barely even chew their dry food and, really, does a pretzel clean /your/ teeth? Cats should have their teeth brushed with cat toothbrushes and cat toothpaste at least a few times a week as well as see the vet for dental cleanings when necessary /regardless/ of what they are being fed). Canned/wet food is better because it more closely mimics the cat's natural diet. More on why canned food is best:
    Feeding Your Cat   Know the Basi (Excellent cat nutrition information by a vet)
    Cats, Cat Food - Articles... (Canned Cat Food: Can Your Cat Afford to Live Without it?)
    Little Big Cat... (Why Cats Need Canned Food)
    The Feline Future Cat Food Company... (The Dry Food Crisis)
    http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.ht... (Max's House: Feline Nutrition)

Another option to get cats to drink more would be a cat fountain. Cats tend to like to drink from running water and cat fountains see to that need, encouraging cats to take in more water.
    Last edited by just1paul; 03-05-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Gabriel, thanks for pointing out the benefits of wet food, but let me add that it needs to be started when cats are young, before any problems arise. I am very lucky that BooBoo likes to drink lots of water, because I have been absolutely unsucessful at getting her to eat any wet food at all, and I've tried more kinds than you can imagine. I finally gave up as apparently at 13 years old she is about as likely to eat canned as I am to start on asparagus or liver--it's just not happening.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I did a lot of research and a lot of talking to my Vet after my first experience with CRF. I would never again allow a cat only dry food. It has been proven to hasten CRF.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3370888;
    Gabriel, thanks for pointing out the benefits of wet food, but let me add that it needs to be started when cats are young, before any problems arise. I am very lucky that BooBoo likes to drink lots of water, because I have been absolutely unsucessful at getting her to eat any wet food at all, and I've tried more kinds than you can imagine. I finally gave up as apparently at 13 years old she is about as likely to eat canned as I am to start on asparagus or liver--it's just not happening.
    Oh Yeah. Once they get older, just like us they are set in their ways. It's like one time I tried a new canned food on Joey and it sat on his plate like a lump, so after it began to crust over I tossed it. My Dad said, leave it out, if he gets hungry enough he'll eat it- NUH UHH. So I brought some more out and the next time Mom & Dad came over I handed Dad this plate I have saved covered in the refrigerator of this food that had crusted over and asked HIM if HE would like a snack. Mom starts laughing and said SEE SEE I TOLD YOU - Cats WILL NOT eat something they don't like. They'll starve first. (my add: especially if they know that they can get breakfast by walking on your face.)
    Last edited by just1paul; 03-05-2009 at 08:01 PM.

MRD

Gabriel, that's too funny about your dad. I would have loved to have seen that.

And like Queenb's Boo-Boo and the wet food, Waldo pulling Rosie around, ain't going to happen. I think she's a LOT smarter than that to get on anything Waldo powered.

Yeah Doxie, I can see Rosie and Bogie as the maid of honor and ring bearer, however, Leia isn't coming to live here and no way is Waldo going there to be tied up. I don't get it either. They act like they love her and she gets attention inside the house, but they leave her out way too much in my opinion and then they gave away the other dog that kept her company. I know she's lonely. Thank goodness she isn't a barker.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3369824;
    Do tell!!! Always looking forward to a new fuzzy Fort friend!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread