+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1140Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3352732;
    MamaC - Sorry to hear of your friends fire, but really happy that no one was hurt. Hopefully their insurance will cover the losses.

I've always wanted a horse and since I live in the country with a barn and pasture, you'd think I'd have one. The problem is... they actually do eat like a horse!! I've never been able to justify the expense just for the pleasure of riding. Maybe someday.
    The feed is cheap compared to the vet and farrier bills. I had a horse years ago and my parents sold it as it cost us a bloody fortune and not in food.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It's been a loooong day... And not the birthday that Henry was hoping for! It has rained and thundered and we are supposed to get SNOW tomorrow night! Oh, and the power went out for three hours so that left the birthday boy with no electric blanket to seek shelter under! We're still going to celebrate though. Mr. Doxie is bringing home cheeseburgers (dogs will get a bite) and we're going to get Henry a special treat tomorrow when the weather clears up. Then.... snow.... poor Henry!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've been given the telephone number of a local Maine Coon breeder. Now, I'm scared.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

As I left work today, I saw a lady walking two great big dogs. She was wearing a sweater that had a big border of dogs walking around her midriff. It was a very interesting picture. Do any of you animal lovers wear animal motif clothing?

Yeah, my clothes are usually covered in cat hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3353909;
    Same here but dog hair in my case!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3353909;
    I know what you mean! And I thought I wasn't into theme clothing. I finally decorated my living room to coordinate with my recently departed Tiny. She had a magnificent coat in a nice khaki/latte range of colors. A nice neutral palate that I can live with.

Update on the horses.....we went up to see them today when my daughter got home from school. They were out in the back pasture, feeding on new hay, new feed, and fresh water, completely unfazed from all the excitement of last night. My daughter was really reassured that they were totally fine.

The owner said that we can keep our horse on his property with his two horses. There is a smaller barn that needs some work, roof repair, etc., that we can fix up so they will be all set for the time being. (And by "we", of course I mean my husband and the other guys! LOL) Two of the other horses are going to a different farm for the time being. The other two mares were already scheduled to go to another farm next week for AI (artificial insemination, not American Idol!).

It will be interesting to see just what kind of reimbursement the insurance company doles out. This barn was huge, so maybe the next one won't be as large. I don't know what the plans are at this point.

MRD, unfortunately, we have the same thing happening up here with regards to so many people no longer being able to afford the upkeep of their horses. The rescue places are full and asking for donations. They are having such a hard time feeding all these abandoned horses. Sadly, I have seen quite a few news stories of people being arrested for starving their horses because they can no longer afford them and felt they had no other alternatives. Makes me sick to see these poor animals, and that's if they are found before it is too late. It is expensive to take care of horses, but to see the smile on my daughter's face when she is with her horse is priceless. They have this really fantastic bond that just makes it all worth it for us. And this is the kid who hates to clean her room, but doesn't mind mucking out a stall! Go figure!

Here is a pic of the fire about five minutes before the roof caved in. It was fully involved by the time the firetrucks arrived. If any of the horses were inside, there would have been no way they could have been saved.

The other two mares were already scheduled to go to another farm next week for AI (artificial insemination, not American Idol!).
    Now that was funny.
    Fires are a horrible, horrible thing. I'm glad the animals were out and not hurt.

MRD

Oh MamaC, I agree, nothing compares with riding. I love it and miss it. I'd have a horse again in a heartbeat, but it's a LOT of work and money and well, I live in the city. I dream of living in the country and riding with Waldo loping along beside us (I'd have to carry Rosie on the horse).

It is sad that the animals have to suffer, but if you lose your job and can't feed your family, then what to do? Find a shelter if you can but those are full too.

I have to say I agree with Unk to the I wear doghair theme of clothing. I keep a lint brush in my car and i can be seen before work, rolling it over my pant legs in the parking lot. For some reason, I can't see the hair until I actually get to work.
    I have a Jack Russel coffee mug (gift) and a stuffed Jack Russell Beanie baby and a Jack Russell Picture frame (gift). I bought the Beanie baby. I've seen clothing, but nah, I'm not really into that type of thing. But I know people that are.

Poor Henry, sounds like his day wasn't as bad as Waldo day last week, but at least he got a treat. We are to get snow on Sun. Rosie will NOT be pleased, she barely got out in the yard this morning to go to the bathroom because of the rain.

Well, the new vet has cemented themselves in our lives. Got a card from them yesterday saying "thank you for allowing us to treat Bogie. We enjoyed meeting you and him and look forward to seeing you all again. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance." They sent a card!!!
    I, who thinks customer service has dropped off the face of the earth, was impressed.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread