+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Great pictures queenb. Sounds like you had a fun trip.

I wanted to post a couple of pictures of Roxie. The first one is her chewing on what's left of her birthday bone. And the second is of her doing her "Elvis impersonation".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I can almost hear, "Thank ya very much..." with that second picture!

I see befuddlement in that first picture! "You know I hate having pictures taken when I'm eating!"
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm sticking this in this thread even though it could go in the share your good news or talk about your troubles thread.

My daughter has a horse that we board at a friend's barn about 2 miles up the road from us. Well tonight the barn burned down. Thankfully, the horse is alright as all the horses were still out in the fields. But all of my daughter's stuff is gone....her saddles, bridle, helmet, even stuff like the crappy clothes and boots she wears to muck out the stalls!

It was such a huge, intense fire! Hubby is on the volunteer fire department and he was there from just after 5 until almost 11:30 tonight. The owenr's house even had to be hosed down due to the heat. The owner has lost a lot of other stuff besides all the hay and feed. Things like tractors, ATVs, a boat!, horse trailer, tools, and a lot of lumber that he uses to make furniture.

Fortunately the owner's dog, named Dawg!, was not in the barn. His daughter had put the dog in the house before she left for the day.

Tomorrow we'll go up during the daylight to see the damage done and talk to some other neighbors to see if we can board the horse at their place.

It was an exciting night, to be sure, but one we could have all done without.
    Last edited by MamaC; 02-27-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3347154;
    BooBoo gets a Happy Birthday this month too, if you have one left--she turned 13 around the middle of the month.
    Happy Birthday to BooBoo, indeed! I had a dog named BooBoo when I was a kid. Her dad's name was Yogi...

MamaC, there certainly was a mixture of troubles and good news in your post. I am so happy for you that the animals and humans are safe. So sorry for the loss of all the equipment. It is a shame.

How horrible MamaC. What a tremendous loss but thankfully no one, including the animals were hurt. Do they know how the fire started?
    CYA

Not yet Bunny. Some think it might actually be spontaneous combustion or maybe it was faulty wiring or something like that. It's still too early to tell.

It was so weird because over the weekend we were just talking about my daughter getting to ride the horse again. She doesn't ride at all in the wintertime, due to ice. So now that the days are getting longer and spring will hopefully be not too far off, she is itching to spend more time with her beloved horse.

Roxie's birthday pictures are great! She DOES have that Elvis thing going on! I'm glad she had a nice birthday!

MamaC - so glad that no animals were injured during the fire. I hope that the barn owners will be able to rebuild and your daughter will be able to continue riding her horse there.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

MamaC that is good news that none of the animals were harmed, but its not so great about the barn nor the belongings. Hopefully they had insurance to help recover and rebuild.

I just heard a really sad story. Due to the economy, shelters that take in horses are full to bursting because people can no longer afford to take care of the horses. And they were talking about throughbreds too and not just regular riding type horses. There is a group in Tennessee (the hardest hit area) that is providing hay and feed to horse owners to help them keep their horses so they don't have to go t the shelters as there is just NO room.
    Apparantly if you would like a horse, you can get one for free these days as they are just giving them away. But the problem lies in that it's expensive once you have it to properly take care of it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MamaC - Sorry to hear of your friends fire, but really happy that no one was hurt. Hopefully their insurance will cover the losses.

I've always wanted a horse and since I live in the country with a barn and pasture, you'd think I'd have one. The problem is... they actually do eat like a horse!! I've never been able to justify the expense just for the pleasure of riding. Maybe someday.

When I was a teenager, my dad and a friend were co-owners of a fledgling racehorse. Between the boarding and the feed costs, my dad's desire to have a horse that would eventually race, was never realized. Sadly, the cost is quite prohibitive.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread