+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

I thought about Henry as the new vet had a "client" behind the reception desk. Shadow boards with them and they keep him behind the desk with them all day. He was a sweetie and you'd never know he was there. But boy, you sure knew the two beagles were there, they barked their heads off. Bogie and the poodle and the great pyrnees were staring at the Beagles, like "what IS your problem?"

And they have a resident cat there too. Big, beautiful thing. He is their "donor" and mascot.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

One of my dogs turned 2 last week. It is hard to admit it, but I totally fed him Chinese food. Its just that he loves shrimp so much! It's not like I do it all the time, ok? He's climbed up on the kitchen counter a couple of times. And that is the only people food he ever steals. So I did a bad thing and gave him some shrimp on his birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3345908;
    One of my dogs turned 2 last week. It is hard to admit it, but I totally fed him Chinese food. Its just that he loves shrimp so much! It's not like I do it all the time, ok? He's climbed up on the kitchen counter a couple of times. And that is the only people food he ever steals. So I did a bad thing and gave him some shrimp on his birthday!
    It sounds like your dog had a GREAT birthday! We give our two more "people food" than they need, but it's fun to see how happy they are!

MRD: Our vet has a giant cat too. I think that it is the only creature that is terrified of Henry!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

I don't see anything wrong with the occasional people food treats. Ours get vanilla cupcakes on their birthdays and they get turkey, dressing and mashed potatos at Thanksgiving and yesterday, Bogie shared french fries with us in the car on the way home from the vet.

I can't believe the cat is terrified of Henry.

The first time ours came face to face with a cat was hilarious. They were not sure if they should be scared or aggressive and were definetly not sure at all what that thing was.

Maybe if your dogs are young. If I gave my 15 year old little Shih Tzu people food I would be up and down with her all night. Trust me, I know I think the little dogs have trickier stomachs. My Mastiff could tolerate it, and I very occasionally give her meat-type scraps, but always in her bowl. She has never taken food off the counter and thank god for that since she could lay her head on it if she wanted to. However, I don't leave anything lying around either. We had one mishap when she was a pup involving butter. She ate a pound of it. Blech.

MRD

Bogie's 10 and Rosie's 12 and the little bit they get doesn't upset their tummies. But they've always gotten a few special treats since they were pups. But they don't feast on a regular diet of people food. Although, I do know animals that anything not dogfood gives them major tummy upset. You can give your dogs Rolaids and Keopectate (sp?) for tummy upset. The Keopectate works great. We had a dog with a very nervous stomach and the vet put her on keopectate. I've had to use it on Rosie before, but curiously it's never when she's had people food.

I actually make the little dog's food myself, so it is "people food" in a way. She had problems when she was 5 with bladder stones because the salt content in commercial dog food was too high. She's so small that I only have to make a batch once every 2 weeks, so it's not a big deal. Big dog eats about 8-10 cups of kibble a day so no way am I making hers I do buy her the human grade dog food, though. Yeah, they're spoiled. The good thing is I found a store that will deliver the big bags of dog food which saves my back. She gets so excited when she sees the dog food delivery man.

MRD

OUrs would be over the moon if they had a food delivery service. Heck, I'd be over the moon if my food was delivered too.

I used to make Rosies food when she was pregnant and nursing. She got chicken and rice mostly.

Today is Roxie's birthday. She's 1 year old already. The time has gone so fast. She'll be getting a special treat tonight but I haven't decided just what yet. She will love it no matter what it is. I swear that dog would eat anything!!

MRD

Happy Birthday Roxie. And to Doxie's Henry this week.

Hard to believe that Roxie is a year old already. I swear time flies.

+ Reply to Thread