+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3322406;
    But I want a kitty.
    Before we had our cats, my husband said (and I quote) I HATE CATS! WE'LL GET A CAT OVER MY DEAD BODY! So I kind of put cats on the back burner. But a friend of ours called one night and said he had a friend whose cat just had kittens and were we interested. I mentioned it to my husband and fully expected him to give his mantra - I HATE CATS! WE'LL GET A CAT OVER MY DEAD BODY. To my surprise, he said we'd go look. (And he stressed the word "look".) But we've all been there. There's no way you can go and look at adorable little kittens and not get one. It's just impossible! So look we went and home we came with Whiskers. That was cat #1.

The about two years later, a co-worker came in and said his cat had kittens, and was I interested. I went home and asked hubby, fully expecting him to say no way, but he agreed!!! So home came Duncan.

Then about two years after that, one of the girls in our Venturing Crew (a branch of Scouting) and a real animal lover, said her cat had kittens and was I interested. I asked hubby, and this time he actually did what I expected. He said an emphatic NO. But then the Crew was out somewhere (without me) and home he came with Callie!

So now we have three kitties and it all started because my son said "I want a kittie". There's hope, MRD!!!

MRD

Actually there is no hope. I am very, very, very allergic to cats. So no way can I have one. But I want one. I had them as a child, but we had to get rid of them because I was allergic and my cat allergy has gotten worse over the years instead of better. Was at a friends a couple weeks ago and she has 2 indoor cats. My chest tightened up, I was having trouble breathing and had to leave. Also just going to the vet with the dogs almost kills me because of all the cats that have been in that building.

So it's not hubby so much as I just can't be around them. But I still want one.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

But MRD, you could get one of those nekkid cats (Sphynx) --they can be washed with gentle soap every few days, so no dander.... Some are downright ugly, but the darker colored ones I saw at the Cat Show were actually cute, in a Yoda-like way. And they felt like warm peaches, not truly bald...
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I just watched info on the Sphynx last night (on Cats 101) that said that the Sphynx is not a hypoallergenic cat, contrary to popular opinion. And, who in their right mind, wants to wash a cat every "few days"....(actually, they said once/week, but still.) I also learned that the Sphynx's body temperature is, normally, higher that other cats, and that you have to wash them so frequently because of the oil that the skin secretes that is normally distributed through the fur. Despite what they look like, they are very healthy, very intelligent, and can be very rough and tough kitties....and they LOVE being with people, so they make great pets! They look like large naked mole rats, to me. At one time, they were going for about $1000/cat; have no idea what they would cost today.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I know of a woman who breeds sphynx's and she gets 1500.00 to 5000.00 per kitty, depending on color, sex, etc. I think they are great cats, but that's a little out of my price range! If someone is really seriously wanting one, check out petfinder. They usually have a few looking to be adopted.

My brother is highly allergic to cats, but they get a breed called "Devon Rex" which is supposed to be hypoallergetic. They are strange looking, but they are cute too.

These are his 2 kittens, Ping-Pong and Yum-cha -
    They are in Australia however, I don't know if they are available here.

*plus, I think they look like gremlins.

We had a stray tom cat hanging around our place. I think he was sleeping in the barn. I've been feeding him but he hadn't gotten to the point where he would come near me. He was very wild. He stayed away from the house all together because of the dogs I suppose. Well, this morning we found him dead on the road in front of our acreage. I don't know if he was hit by a car in the night or what happened. It just makes me so sad. He was a huge beautiful yellow tabby and I so wanted to be able to tame him down. I kept thinking that I'd have more luck in the spring and summer when I'd be able to spend more time outside coaxing him. I had my husband go and get him off the road but now I don't know what to do with him because the ground is frozen solid. Poor kitty. I hope he didn't suffer.

Oh Lil Bit! - That kitty is now at the rainbow bridge, no pain, running free, waiting to be adopted.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think the Sphynx is the only cat of Canadian origin.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It just makes me so mad because of the people that dump animals off out in the country. This was a full grown cat and he was so wild that he had to have been on his own for a long time, but we live a few miles outside of a town in a pretty secluded area. People must think that it's the ideal place to get rid of their unwanted pets, usually kittens, but we've had a couple of dogs show up here too. I have no tolerance for anyone who just throws away an animal like its nothing.

+ Reply to Thread