+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Cootie let us know what's happening with Tiny.
    MRD I know how you feel and I hope Bogie is okay.

You are a good Mommy. I guess teeth inspections will be a regular for you now. I do it for Joey.

Her prices are not out of line and I find that any four leggers over certain ages when they become the eqivalent of about 50 human years they are referred to as geriatric.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Cootie, I'm sending Tiny a prayer..
    MRD--I know how you feel, as I had to spend an arm and leg on BooBoo over the past couple of months. Hopefully Bogie will feel better in a hurry!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

The funny thing is that I do look at their teeth. Just not often as they don't like it. I guess I will check them out more often. I tried years ago to brush their teeth. Ha! That was the joke of the year. But with pets, it's often hard to know anything's wrong until it really goes wrong because they can't tell us. I think I know my dogs prettty well, so if he had acted strange I would have been concerned. This was just a bad smell which prompted me to check, notice the red gums and make the appointment.

I had a friend have a similar experience with her toddler and a ruptured eardrum. The kid had been acting FINE. Then suddenly starts crying and holding his ear. She gets him in the the pediatrician the same day who then berates her for waiting so long saying that the infection had to have been there for several days and had to be bad enough the ear drum ruptured. I mean, how can you really know until they start showing symptoms if they can't tell you.

Oh well. Rosie is going to have her teeth cleaned too, but probably not until next month. Her gums are fine, but her teeth do need to be cleaned. I can't get Waldo to sit still long enough to open his mouth.

I'm just feeling really bad because if it's as bad as they say, then he had to be suffering, but he really hasn't acted like it. In fact, his weight today was up. So obviously it hasn't affected his ability to eat.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Does anyone here carry pet health insurance on their pets?

I've been seeing an ad lately on tv for it and we have been talking about it tonight. I've been very lucky to have had healthy pets and they haven't cost us a lot in vet bills. But Bogie is going to be 10 in April and Rosie 12 in March so am thinking that we should look into it.

We did many years ago and the cost for what it covered just didn't justify it.
    I just wondered if anyone else has gotten coverage and how good it is and what it covers?

Thanks
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

This seems to be a decent assessment - I have thought about it (after paying out nearly $5000 in an attempt to save a beloved 2 year old puppy from cancer) - but it looks like age and some conditions make it extra expensive.

Should you buy pet insurance? - MSN Money

MRD: You and sweet Bogie will be in our thoughts. I'm sure he'll be better than ever after his surgery.

We don't carry pet insurance, but last year, when we had to take Simon to the emergency animal clinic and then to the regular vet, it ended up being very expensive. We were offered an installment plan through a company that our vet suggested. That company (I am TRYING to recall their name) paid the emergency bill and then the vet bill and we paid it back over six months with very little interest. You might consider asking your vet if they offer something like that.

And, while I certainly wouldn't wish this on poor Bogie, I am glad that you posted it. Henry is due for a checkup soon and I think I'll go ahead and have his teeth cleaned too. I have tried to brush them and look at them, but he doesn't care for that (even with bacon flavored toothpaste!) and I am SURE that he is overdue for a good professional cleaning.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Thanks all of you for your concern. I took Tiny to the vet and they were so kind and careful with her. Tiny was very sick, it turns out. I was surprised to find out that she had leukemia and that is probably why her kidneys had failed. She was always a very mellow cat and slept alot in the winter, so her activity level never changed much until 2 days ago. All her purrs were used up. I said goodbye to her, our little queen of the house, and they brought her to me in a box to bury her in my flower garden. She was my daughter's special cat for almost 10 years. We do have a tabby that we got at the same time, and he is a solitary cat now. Sad. I put away her bowl and the blankets she slept on.

The vet assured me that cats hide their illnesses so much that it is often hard to find out they are sick until it is too late. I have never had to do this before, so it is extra hard. Mr. C is out of town and just called, it was hard to tell him without falling apart. We will miss her tiny mew. I will keep her picture up as my avatar for a bit in her honor. She was a sweetie. Thanks again.

Cootie, I am so sorry about Tiny. I hope you and your family can remember all the good times to help you through this tough time.

mrd, I hope Bogie's operation is a complete success. I think your vet was a little harsh with you, you brought him to the vet as soon as you realized something was wrong. What else could you do?

I'm so sorry for your loss Cootie.

+ Reply to Thread