+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

Hugs for Tiny! My only experience of cats staring at water but not drinking is CRF [kidney failure] Which I pray is not the case for you!
    Get blood work. That is the best way to know. And if it is - please trying giving IV fluids at home, my B has lived five more healthy years.
    Also give Pepcid 5mg every other day. And also syringe water orally. Both of these last ideas would be good to do anyway, can't hurt.

Hope Bogie is OK!!! I'll be thinking of you guys tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimzy;3285333;
    Hugs for Tiny! My only experience of cats staring at water but not drinking is CRF [kidney failure] Which I pray is not the case for you!
    Get blood work. That is the best way to know. And if it is - please trying giving IV fluids at home, my B has lived five more healthy years.
    Also give Pepcid 5mg every other day. And also syringe water orally. Both of these last ideas would be good to do anyway, can't hurt.
    Yikes, I have been trying to get some water in her. I hope it is not that bad. Our Buddy cat is snuggling with her.

Thanks for the info. My daughter will be heartbroken if this is serious.

I hope that both Bogie and Tiny are feeling better (and smelling better) soon!

A new pet care franchise just opened in our area. It's nationwide and it looks
    like it provides some great services. MRD - if there is one there, they will come to your house and take Waldo to the vet in a "pet-taxi". Next thing I know, Henry will be calling up a taxi to take him to McDonalds or something..

Fetch! Pet Care - Welcome to Fetch! Pet Care
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3285337;
    Yikes, I have been trying to get some water in her. I hope it is not that bad. Our Buddy cat is snuggling with her.

Thanks for the info. My daughter will be heartbroken if this is serious.
    Don't worry till you have blood work to back up any ideas. And even then try the fluids before making any hard decision. Do try syringing like a 5m in her tonight and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3285344;
    Wow we could sure use their "Yard Poop Cleanup". With 4 dogs, if we don't stay on top of that, you'd have to navigate the yard like it's filled with landmines. I'm sending best wishes to both Tiny and Bogie!
    Last edited by Bunny555; 01-21-2009 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3285312;
    My Tiny cat is having problems. For the last few days she has been walking very slowly, stares at her water bowl for at least 10 minutes before drinking and is not eating much. She is 10 years old, we feed her dry food only. She is mostly an inside cat in the winter, mostly outside in the summer. So her inactivity is almost normal right now, but the staring at the water bowl is scary. Have any of you experienced this with a cat? I plan to call the vet tomorrow, but thought you all might know something about this type of behavior.
    Get Tiny to an EMERGENCY VET.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

I hope Tiny will be ok.

Man, a Pet Taxi. What an idea. I can see Henry taking a taxi to McDonald's.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Tiny is going to our vet today. She is taking water from a syringe, but is not well. Thanks for your kind words and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3285312;
    My Tiny cat is having problems. For the last few days she has been walking very slowly, stares at her water bowl for at least 10 minutes before drinking and is not eating much. She is 10 years old, we feed her dry food only. She is mostly an inside cat in the winter, mostly outside in the summer. So her inactivity is almost normal right now, but the staring at the water bowl is scary. Have any of you experienced this with a cat? I plan to call the vet tomorrow, but thought you all might know something about this type of behavior.
    I don't want to alarm you, but I would try adding wet food to her diet. That way, she is getting water at least. I have had way too much experience with CRF, so I am a firm believer in wet food. Please let us know how it goes at the Vet.

MRD

Bogie is having surgery tomorrow. The vet was HORRIFIED and made me feel like the worst pet owner in the world. Told me she couldn't see HOW he was eating. (he came home from the vet and ate, so apparantly it doesn't bother him).

He has a severe abcess and could have produced septicemia. I was crying and shaking when I left her office. I take very good care of my animals and I got him in as soon as we noticed anything was wrong. I'm so scared now, although he seems and acts fine which is what I told her. I wouldn't have waited. I didn't wait. As soon as I noticed it, I made arrangements to get him in. She says as bad as this is, he's had to have had it longer than a few days. Well yeah, but I don't pull back their gums and check unless I have a reason too. And he acted fine and was eating, drinking, playing and being normal except for the bad smell.

So $700 is what they are charging for the blood work, surgery, extractions, teeth cleaning, antibiotics, anethesia and other misc. stuff.

I am now trying to figure out how we're going to eat beans and rice for a month, so I can take care of my dog. Oh and they charge more when they are over 7 because then they are considered "geriatric".

I really like this vet a lot and I trust her and I don't think her prices are out of line. But it was a bit of a shock and it was upsetting and it is expensive.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread