+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1375Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    I want kisses.
    In that event I'll send you Libby my Jack Russell Terrier. She's also known as the kissing bandit.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    In that event I'll send you Libby my Jack Russell Terrier. She's also known as the kissing bandit.
    My Silky Terrier Dolly won't give a kiss for anything.

Update on the duck. I haven't seen the mama duck since yesterday, but when I got home from work and checked today there were leaves over the egg. Mama duck has been back to take care of her egg.

FORT Fogey
    My two will kiss and kiss and kiss and kiss and kiss and kiss . . . . it's pathetic, actually.

"GET A LIFE, YOU TWO" I say to them, but they tell me, "YOU are our life!!" and then they go back to kissing!!!

Ah Marleybone. My mom's miniature schnauzer is like that. Libby likes to go for the sneak attack. She stands to the side of you and goes in with darting tongue when you least expect it. Right now she is tossing a dog biscuit in the air and catching it in her mouth then tossing it again.

I love seeing pics of everyones' babies! I have two kitties who are basically my children (since I don't have kids yet): Jasper, who is 10, and Suki, who is 5. I'll try posting a pic of Jasper - this was taken when he was a little guy, but he weighs about 12 pounds now and is just as cute... not that I'm biased or anything! He is just the sweetest cat ever. I have so many people comment on what a sweet disposition he has. I've decided that he has to live forever because I can't bear to think of being without him. Suki, who I don't have any scanned pics of, is coal black with super-long fur. She thinks she's a dog - plays fetch and everything! She's got a HUGE personality, which I always get comments about when we visit the vet. If they only knew: she's actually subdued at the vet's office!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Critical; 04-12-2005 at 05:33 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Jasper looks so much like my old kitten brings back memories. Right now I have a pet puppy name Naomi and she's white and fluffy. *closes door so Naomi doesn't hear*
    Although she looks cute and innocent my socks and shoes have been victim to many puppy dribble and bites. So wish i can show a picture of her but don't have a scanner or webcam.
    [ all we need is love and peace ] [ ]

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda
    I have a question for you experienced pet owners out there. My two cats are both ten years old now. They're the first pets I'll have ever owned from babyhood through (eventual) death (stupid pet-deprived childhood), so some of the things that come along with owning a "mature" pet are new to me.

I adopted my male cat from the pound when he was just a few months old. I've always assumed he had a pretty traumatic life before being adopted, because he's pretty neurotic. He's also always been a huge glutton, something I figured had its roots in not having plentiful food available as a very little guy. He's always been really healthy and active, but a tad on the overweight side.

However, now he seems to have dropped all of that excess weight. Honestly, he's probably now at a perfectly healthy size, but it's weird that it happened for no reason, isn't it? His eating habits haven't changed, his activity levels haven't changed, nothing has changed, except for his weight. Should I be worried about it? Is his body just finally balancing itself out? Could he be sick with some slow-moving horrible disease? Should I take him to the vet, or should I sit back and wait to see if I can observe any other changes first?

Also, I should say that I'm very wary of taking either of them to the vet, because of a near-death allergic reaction one of them had several years ago. They're both indoor cats who've always been the picture of health, aside from that one time the girl cat decided that she did NOT like innoculations, and wanted to prove her point by almost dying.

Anyway, bottom line is that he's lost weight (it doesn't appear that he's continuing to lose; it leveled off), and I don't know why. Anyone have any thoughts?

[IMG]images/img/toobs-n-kasha.JPG[/IMG]

(He's the tabby on the left)

Awwww... so adorable!!

From my many recent vet trips... I've learned its never a "normal" thing for a cat to lose weight. Normally when a cat loses weight its because of something serious. Losing weight is not the same in people and animals. Losing even 2-3 pounds is quite drastic in animals. Also, another way to know there is something wrong with your cat is... excessive drinking of water. Or many trips to the water bowl and/or litter box.

If you don't want to bring your animal to the vet... most vets do know and can recommend traveling vets who can do check-ups and take blood in your home (but they are usually quite costly).

At the most... you should at least collect a urine sample from your cat and bring it to the vet. It can be stored in the refrigerator up to six hours (from what my vet told me).

I just needed to share with you guys. As some of you know I have 3 maltese dogs. Missy had some sort of severe allergic reactioin Saturday. I had brought all 3 to have their picture taken. Later that afternoon Missy started panting and was trying to tell me something. She didn't look or sound like she was in pain. She wasn't scratching. At midnight I thought maybe her ears were bothering her so I started her back on Predisolone and dropped her ears. She woke me at 2 pawing at me like she was trying to tell me something. She woke me again at 4. I got up to go get a dose of benedryl for her. I flipped on the light and almost had a heart attack. She rolled onto her back so I could see her tummy. Turns out her skin (all over her body) was bright red and blotchy. So, at 4:15 AM I was off to the emergency clinic. We were back home by 4:45. They gave her 3 shots and said it was an allergic reaction. To what? Who knows. Her skin seemed to improve during the day. That night it started again. I know her vet personally and called him at him. We doubled the Predisolone and I gave her benedryl. Coincidently he was coming to see me Monday morning. I brought her to the office. Yep, a dog in the dental office. He couldn't believe his eyes. He was amazed when I told him she was about 50% better. He couldn't imagine what she looked like. I gave her the meds and he brought her back to his office for the morning. Here it is Tuesday and she's still blotchy and turns red when it's time for her meds. I feel so bad for her. Today I found myself wishing I could call home to find out how she was feeling.

Thanks for listening.

toothdoc

Toothdoc, I am sorry to see that Missy is having problems, do you have any idea of what it might have been, maybe something on a blanket like soap or something where you had the pictures taken? Let us know when you find anything out. Call home and leave a message on the answering machine for Missy to hear.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread